Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>A few questions.
Flounder 04:26 PM 06-11-2011
Hey guys, I'm new here. I checked in over at cigarsmokers.com, but it took like 4-5 days to get out of the queue so I could post, and I could see that they treated other new members rather poorly. I have a few questions.

I've been smoking cigars for a bit, mainly Arturos, but today I finally ordered my first humidor, just a little cheap $20 thing.

1- I really like the AF's, but most of their stuff is on the mellow/ light side, any suggestions for something a bit heavier?

2- As far as cigars go, I've seen Monte Cristo's, Churchills, etc, are these company-specific? Or an industry standard as far as the style of the roll? What is the difference with the exception of the shapes? Any?

3- What's the difference in wrappers? I've seen natural, maduro, candela, etc?

4- What are people opinions on putting the cigars in the humidor? With or without the plastic sleeves? Why? etc.

5- Is my humidor going to be a pain in the dick to keep level or what? And it should come with directions on how to maintain it, correct?

I know GTsetGo from my Mustang forum, and I figured I'd check it out over here, test the waters, any and all input is welcome.
[Reply]
Flounder 04:33 PM 06-11-2011
Also. I bought a "20 count" humidor, but it's just a short fix until I get my buddy, who is a wood-working major to build me a big one. Other than lining the inside with Spanish cedar, what else should I keep in mind for when I tell him what I want?
[Reply]
Bill86 04:39 PM 06-11-2011
Opus X or God of fire, those are medium-full or even full bodied Fuentes.

Difference in wrappers is taste, In my experiences.....
Candela's (green) and taste like IMO green tea
Maduros (Dark) and tend to have darker stronger flavors (coffee, chocolate, heavy leather.....spice)

Cello is merely a preference, it's up to you. It doesn't matter either way.

Size and shapes of cigars are preference. You'll find your own in a few months.

It could possibly be a pain in the dick, post a link to the one you bought. Then look into coolidors, simple, pick your own size and lots of storage.

Look into humidity beads, www.heartfeltindustries.com is who most people use.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 04:42 PM 06-11-2011
:-)
Check the sticky on how to properly season a humidor, that should get you started on your way. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

You might also look into the Fuente Anejo's if you're looking for a stronger smoke.

Also head over to the new inmate area and post an intro! :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 04:43 PM 06-11-2011
Originally Posted by Flounder:
Also. I bought a "20 count" humidor, but it's just a short fix until I get my buddy, who is a wood-working major to build me a big one. Other than lining the inside with Spanish cedar, what else should I keep in mind for when I tell him what I want?
Just pick a size, make sure it's spanish cedar and has a good seal. That's really about it, there are difference styles of cedar trays (inserts) that you could choose. Look at waxingmoons work and you probably can get an idea.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36832
[Reply]
DBall 04:44 PM 06-11-2011
Dude... you're from Rochester... so am I.

I'm gonna shoot you a PM, I'm sure I'll be able to help ya out/answer your questions and we could probably get together for a cigar at some point... there's a pretty big group of us here in the ROC.
[Reply]
Conch Republican 04:49 PM 06-11-2011
You should hang with us tomorrow. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:03 PM 06-11-2011

1- I really like the AF's, but most of their stuff is on the mellow/ light side, any suggestions for something a bit heavier?

Just about anything made by Pepin or La Flor Dominicana

2- As far as cigars go, I've seen Monte Cristo's, Churchills, etc, are these company-specific? Or an industry standard as far as the style of the roll? What is the difference with the exception of the shapes? Any?

Monte is a brand. Churchill is the size of the cigar and yes most if not all make a churchill usually 7 x 48 or 50. Different shapes can give you slightly different flavors and most have their favorite.

3- What's the difference in wrappers? I've seen natural, maduro, candela, etc?
A wrapper can be one of many strains of baccy. Habano, Connecticut, Criollo, Sumatran, Cameroon, etc. Natural is just that, a leaf that is cured naturally. A maduro is cured longer, allowing the sugars to come out in the leaf and it turns darker. They tend to be a bit sweeter than a natural wrapper. Candela's are cured quickly so they retain the green color. They are usually vegetal and an interesting change of pace. They were the most popular wrappers in the 50's.

4- What are people opinions on putting the cigars in the humidor? With or without the plastic sleeves? Why? etc.

Personal preference. It does not matter. Cello is used on cigars by the manufacturer, primarily, so that the cigars are not damaged in transport.

5- Is my humidor going to be a pain in the dick to keep level or what? And it should come with directions on how to maintain it, correct?

It's not brain surgery and all you need to know is within the walls of the Asylum. Be sure you read all the 'sticky' posts at the top of each forum. They will answer alot of questions plus the search function here can be an invaluable tool.
Answers in red above.
[Reply]
Flounder 05:19 PM 06-11-2011
Thanks for all the input guys. My goal or idea for the homemade humidor (I'm confident is his ability as he does amazing work as far as furniture and such goes), is something that stands like 16" x 20" x 16" (H x W x D) and has 4-5 drawers on the front that pull out. The only thing I tend to worry about would be keeping airtight and getting it lined with the cedar.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:31 PM 06-11-2011
Thanks for all the input guys. My goal or idea for the homemade humidor (I'm confident is his ability as he does amazing work as far as furniture and such goes), is something that stands like 16" x 20" x 16" (H x W x D) and has 4-5 drawers on the front that pull out. The only thing I tend to worry about would be keeping airtight and getting it lined with the cedar.
Be sure to use Spanish Cedar. Any other Cedar would not be good.
[Reply]
Kreth 05:36 PM 06-11-2011
Drawers will make it trickier to maintain a good seal. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Flounder 07:33 PM 06-11-2011
Would you guys recommend something in which I could make it multi-tier without drawers? I dont want just a box piled with cigars, I would like a shelf system of some-sort.
[Reply]
Bill86 07:35 PM 06-11-2011
Would you guys recommend something in which I could make it multi-tier without drawers? I dont want just a box piled with cigars, I would like a shelf system of some-sort.
Coolidor, store your cigars in empty cigar boxes. Vinotemp with drawers (but that'll get pricey)
[Reply]
Flounder 07:42 PM 06-11-2011
You're killing me, haven't found a cigar I enjoy enough to drop the dough for a whole box yet, so I have no boxes, any idea where I can grab some for cheap or free?
[Reply]
jesseboston81 07:48 PM 06-11-2011
Your local B+M will have empty boxes for either free or maybe $1-2 each at most. My B+M charges $1 donation each, with the money going towards breast cancer research.
[Reply]
Flounder 07:49 PM 06-11-2011
Might be a dumb question, but whats a B + M?
[Reply]
jesseboston81 07:50 PM 06-11-2011
Brick and mortar, just a physical cigar store (as opposed to an online retailer).
[Reply]
hscmit 07:50 PM 06-11-2011
brick and mortar, a store
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 07:52 PM 06-11-2011
Make sure you check frequently, if its anything like the B&M in my town they go fast. I have had a hard time finding any because they are bought up so quick.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:54 PM 06-11-2011
Take some time reading the stickies and the threads around here to save some time with asking a lot of questions and waiting for responses. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up