Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Could I turn this
AFSFK 08:34 AM 05-23-2011
Into a humidor? Its my moms old army issued uhmm...box? The inside is wood.

[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:48 AM 05-23-2011
With a little work, I don't see why not. A humidor is just a box with a few custom features. Your biggest issue will be getting it to seal well.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 09:00 AM 05-23-2011
I'd say get a pound of beads and a hygrometer. Drop them in there and see what happens after a couple weeks. You'll get a good idea of how much work you're in for.

Before actually putting sticks in it you'll need a good disinfecting/bleaching and such. But there are smarter people than me on here who can tell you all about that.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:12 AM 05-23-2011
Before getting any beads, I would just run a salt test (or Boveda Calibration packet test) with a known-good hygrometer inside the box. That will give you an idea if it holds a steady RH.
[Reply]
AFSFK 09:14 AM 05-23-2011
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
With a little work, I don't see why not. A humidor is just a box with a few custom features. Your biggest issue will be getting it to seal well.
It has a little extra lip that goes around the top and it latches shut. Paper test ripped the paper
[Reply]
nofeardiver 09:24 AM 05-23-2011
you could line it with cedar and put a piece of cedar on the lid the size of the opening then put some kind of foam sealer tape around that to land around the top of the frame so the lid comes down and the piece of cedar is on the insde...dont know if any of that made sense...
[Reply]
AFSFK 09:29 AM 05-23-2011
hmm. I just tried the paper test on the sides of the box and it slid out easily. I'll just save and buy a real humidor. Thanks all
[Reply]
nofeardiver 09:30 AM 05-23-2011
yeah but you have nothing sealing around the top right, def would have to do the foam sealer tape around the edge to give it some sort of seal... the paper test is useless right now...
[Reply]
AFSFK 09:35 AM 05-23-2011
Originally Posted by nofeardiver:
yeah but you have nothing sealing around the top right, def would have to do the foam sealer tape around the edge to give it some sort of seal... the paper test is useless right now...
Yeah, just realized what you said above. Guess I'll save my money
[Reply]
nofeardiver 09:37 AM 05-23-2011
foam tape isnt much like $4-5 at home depot or lowes... and it just sticks right on, then you could try the paper test again, without a good seal though, then it will be usless... You can deg get a cooler and turn that in to a coolidor...
[Reply]
bobarian 11:33 AM 05-23-2011
A 48-52qt cooler will run $25 or less, a much cheaper alternative. :-)
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 12:13 PM 05-23-2011
I'd be concerned about what was stored in it. If, for example, it was ever used to store weapon cleaning supplies, they could have easily impinged them self into the wood, rendering the box useless for cigars. I can think of lots of common chemicals that were and still are used by the military that would make the box not so good for cigars.
[Reply]
big a 01:56 PM 05-23-2011
Originally Posted by NotFromHere:
I'd be concerned about what was stored in it. If, for example, it was ever used to store weapon cleaning supplies, they could have easily impinged them self into the wood, rendering the box useless for cigars. I can think of lots of common chemicals that were and still are used by the military that would make the box not so good for cigars.
I was thinking the same thing. Along with what the box might be painted with and if there is any concerns that would come from that.

However it would be pretty sweet if you could make it for.
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 10:51 PM 05-27-2011
Hmm, Wouldn't you have to line the box with cedar? Storing cigars in any old box could change the taste of the stogies and not to mention the smell. What wood is the box made out of?
[Reply]
OLS 10:24 AM 05-31-2011
Wow...so your mother DOES wear army boots..........

That was an common insult back in the war years. :-) Not insulting anyone's mother here, lol.
[Reply]
Up