Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Calibrating my Hygrometer
Alucard 04:30 PM 05-20-2011
I know that there are plenty of instructions on how to do this but I just want to make sure I have done it right, sorry if this is another repeat.
I am getting a discrepancy between the Hydra unit read out and my digital hydrometers.
I am going to test my digital hydrometers with a salt test and see which units are out and recalibrate.
Have I done this right?
[Reply]
T.G 04:45 PM 05-20-2011
Looks to me like there might possibly be too much water in the salt - but this could be the photo. The salt needs to be damp, not slushy.

Aside from that question, you got it.
[Reply]
Drez 04:46 PM 05-20-2011
Set up looks right only thing is it looks like it might be a little too wet. I use a soda cap and make the salt evenly damp and it works everytime.
[Reply]
ysr_racer 07:28 PM 05-20-2011
Here you go: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45397
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:30 PM 05-20-2011
Please be aware that the "hygrometer" -- and in this particular case I use the term loosely -- on the Hydra's only provide an approximation of what the RH may have been at one time in the distant past or what it may be sometime in the distant future....

You are much better off pairing the Hydra with good calibrated hygrometer.
[Reply]
Drez 10:23 PM 05-20-2011
Also pick up a couple hygro's from walmart for like 6 bucks so you can always read a couple ones. If they are all around the same then your good.

Also if your using beads then 9 out of 10 times you don't really need a hygro IMHO.
[Reply]
76GTFan 09:22 AM 05-22-2011
Never rely totally on your Hygros. Trust in the beads. I have had many hygros over the years and none are totally accurate. Even if you trust the salt test and recalibrate, I still get discrepancies in my hygros. If they are smoking good, then the RH is acceptable IMHO.
[Reply]
Up