Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cigar Band Clock Project
thebayratt 01:05 PM 07-17-2011
Got bored again today.. So, I pulled out the boxes of bands that I have collected and took this clock the misses got for me for my birthday.

Took some bands, with some archival glue stick, a little organization, and I came up with this:

There is an arts and crafts festival every year in my town in the fall. I think I will make a handful of these along with some other crafts I've done and see if I can make a few extra bucks. :noidea:
[Reply]
Tyler 01:36 PM 07-17-2011
Very cool. I have been thinking of doing this sometime with my old bands. The only thing I would change if you are going to try to sell them is make them all run the same way. Instead of doing different angled ones at the top to take up space just cut them all so they all are going horizontal and look more uniformly set. Great job though as it looks really cool. :-)
[Reply]
thebayratt 01:39 PM 07-17-2011
Yeh, I was thinking of that... I tried to get the face out of the holder, but couldn't figure it out. I think it was glued in. So then, I tried to cut the bands. It worked ok.
Hopefully I can get another style clock that the face can be easily removed to "wrap" the bands. I wasn't too pleased with the angled bands, but owell, its a first attempt.
[Reply]
Tyler 01:43 PM 07-17-2011
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
Yeh, I was thinking of that... I tried to get the face out of the holder, but couldn't figure it out. I think it was glued in. So then, I tried to cut the bands. It worked ok.
Hopefully I can get another style clock that the face can be easily removed to "wrap" the bands. I wasn't too pleased with the angled bands, but owell, its a first attempt.
I can see how it would be hard if the face didn't come out. I didn't mean to knock your design at all. It looks great bro. I think I may try this on a clock I have from Ikea. Or let my girlfriend do it haha. She loves arts and crafts type things.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 01:43 PM 07-17-2011
I love seeing projects like this... I think it is a great initial effort. :-)
[Reply]
EricF 01:45 PM 07-17-2011
Great first attempt Shawn!! :-)
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 02:06 PM 07-17-2011
Great looking clock, I've been thinking of doing something like this with all the bands that I have.
[Reply]
Volusianator 02:36 PM 07-17-2011
I've done lots of projects using bands like this, let me say, it's not as easy as it looks. Nice work!
[Reply]
Drez 02:41 PM 07-17-2011
that came out very nice shawn :-)
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 03:18 PM 07-17-2011
Very Nice Shawn! May I suggest cutting out some kind of border and covering it with cut bands and setting it in there to cover up the white on the border of the clock?
[Reply]
thebayratt 09:43 PM 08-04-2011
Made another one for a brother who wanted me to make him one up.
This one turned out a little better than the first.

[Reply]
N2 GOLD 10:51 AM 08-05-2011
Both came out very nice... :-) :-)
[Reply]
Sancho Fuente 05:48 PM 08-05-2011
Wow, those Ave Maria bands are awesome looking. I'm going to have to get some of them and some San Miguel (I think thats what they are) just for the bands.
[Reply]
Aporschaguy 03:58 PM 08-06-2011
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
Made another one for a brother who wanted me to make him one up.
This one turned out a little better than the first.

Looks great. I'd love to have one for my upcoming garage/bar/cigar lounge reno.
[Reply]
WittyUserName 04:36 PM 08-06-2011
They both look awesome. I see another project in my future.
[Reply]
AUguy 09:24 PM 09-21-2011
what type of glue did you use?
[Reply]
falconman515 01:33 AM 09-30-2011
DUDE ...... I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!

I have been saving my cigar bands (got about 25 or so know.... and didn't know exactly what I was gonna do with them... I think you just told me what I was gonna do.

Killer Idea brother.... thanks for sharing!
[Reply]
falconman515 01:37 AM 09-30-2011
Question: Does the glass just pop off of these and did you put the glass back on after?

Mainstays ... I think that's a Target brand correct?

I wonder if a black background would look better and not have all the white showing around the edges and in between the bands. Just a thought..... what do you think?

I am really excited to find a clock to do this too down the road..... I dont have enough yet to fill the clock..... DAMN I have to start smoking more! :-)
[Reply]
ktblunden 08:50 AM 09-30-2011
Great looking project. I've been saving bands with the thought of doing a table top, but I may have to try the clock thing.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:07 AM 09-30-2011
Nice simple little project. I too, like everybody else, am saving my bands for something. I like the clock idea. I was thinking I might use the bands to make a matt to go around a picture or cigar art.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up