Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Best cigar age?
BHK54 05:25 PM 07-11-2011
What is your opinion about best cigar age? I have heard that best is around 8 years...that it doesn't improve after that?
[Reply]
longknocker 05:32 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by BHK54:
What is your opinion about best cigar age? I have heard that best is around 8 years...that it doesn't improve after that?
It All Depends On The Individual Cigar. I've Smoked 2yr. Old Cigars That Were Awesome And 1 Year Old Cigars That Lost Their Flavor.:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:39 PM 07-11-2011
As in almost all things in this hobby, it is totally subjective.

The best age, to me, is when I am smoking it. For nc's I typically get the best results between 1-4 years but like Greg said, it depends on the cigar.
[Reply]
Dunkel 07:06 PM 07-11-2011
Insert rule of 3 joke here. LOL
[Reply]
hscmit 07:10 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
Insert rule of 3 joke here. LOL
Beat me to it
[Reply]
icehog3 10:15 PM 07-11-2011
I smoked a couple 40 year old cigars Saturday that were absolutely stellar.
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:12 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Really? What are the chances of seeing a review, Admiral? :-)
[Reply]
Apoco 06:29 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by longknocker:
It All Depends On The Individual Cigar. I've Smoked 2yr. Old Cigars That Were Awesome And 1 Year Old Cigars That Lost Their Flavor.:-)
:-)

OpusX require a couple of years. Arturo Fuente Hemmingway are acceptable ROTT but I (so far...still aging some) have found that they get better with age up to 2 years. I'll let you know when I either A) run out of them or B) they lose their flavor :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Tbagley 06:30 AM 07-12-2011

The dedication to keep and age cigars for 40 years is just astonishing. A review would be nice.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:02 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Really? What are the chances of seeing a review, Admiral? :-)
Originally Posted by Tbag:
The dedication to keep and age cigars for 40 years is just astonishing. A review would be nice.
I certainly wasn't the one to age these cigars, or I would have been buying cigars at an illegally young age. The friend who gifted them ti me hasn't had them for even half of the 20 years either, but I can tell you that they must have been stored impeccably throughout their existence.

One of the cigars was a 70's JJ Fox Partagas Seleccion #3. It was amazing in that for most of the cigar it belied the typical vintage Partagas profile and had a distinct sweetness that I have rarely found in the marca. One of the other friends there smoked one from the box and said the same about the cigar. The final third picked up some serious strength (especially for a 40 year old cigar), and began to exhibit much more of what is the Partagas profile.
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 08:11 AM 07-12-2011
I certainly wasn't the one to age these cigars, or I would have been buying cigars at an illegally young age. The friend who gifted them ti me hasn't had them for even half of the 20 years either, but I can tell you that they must have been stored impeccably throughout their existence.

One of the cigars was a 70's JJ Fox Partagas Seleccion #3. It was amazing in that for most of the cigar it belied the typical vintage Partagas profile and had a distinct sweetness that I have rarely found in the marca. One of the other friends there smoked one from the box and said the same about the cigar. The final third picked up some serious strength (especially for a 40 year old cigar), and began to exhibit much more of what is the Partagas profile.

Nice Tom, those sound amazing! :-)
[Reply]
hscmit 08:14 AM 07-12-2011
sounds amazing tom

glad you got to experience it
[Reply]
shilala 08:30 AM 07-12-2011
I kinda like mine the best at about 8 months after I get them in my hands. That's speaking of nc's. They seem to get real good at that age, once I've got them dried out and rested a bit. Then there's a window of about 4 to 6 months where they're at their peak, then they just mellow to wherever they plan to be for a long time.
I tend to like my cc's fresh, as well. As long as they aren't bitter, they're ready for me.
I'm definately the exception, I'd think. It's just what I've found I like, for the most part. Aside from that, I could care less about age just so long as they're smoking good and taste good.
I've smoked lots of old cigars, the oldest being just shy of 100 years. It was a good cigar. With nothing to compare it to like in Tom's experience, it was just a "thing". To try a 40 year old smoke of a marca I already very much like would be a whole lot more fun than just the random novelty of smoking a 100 year old cigar.
My suggestion would be to try anything you can get your hands on that has a little age and compare them to stuff that's ROTT and maybe 8 months to a year old. That'll tell you what YOU like, and that's what matters. :-)
[Reply]
markem 08:40 AM 07-12-2011
The cigar itself and how it was stored will tell the tale of when it is at age and when it is past age.

I still have a half cab of Robt Burns from 1956 that are smoking well. Not "knock you on the floor" crazy good, but certainly nice and full of flavor.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:46 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
The cigar itself and how it was stored will tell the tale of when it is at age and when it is past age.

I still have a half cab of Robt Burns from 1956 that are smoking well. Not "knock you on the floor" crazy good, but certainly nice and full of flavor.
Don't be such a Nickerson. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
markem 08:52 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Don't be such a Nickerson. :-)
My Mafia name is Nicky the Nickerson :-)
[Reply]
audio1der 03:27 PM 07-12-2011
I prefer a really smooth flavor profile, something which I find stand out after 6+ years for many Cubans. Some are OK ROTT (BBF for example) but quickly settle into muddle flavors and on/off sick periods for some time after. I have no experience with anything over 10 yrs.
[Reply]
JJKJR 05:14 AM 07-13-2011
When a cigar maker says that he ages his tobacco for 5 years before rolling the cigar does that count in the aging process? Or does a cigar only properly age after it is rolled?
[Reply]
dvickery 07:32 AM 07-13-2011
bhk54

i honestly believe that '89 to '93...are the best smokes right now.

doesnt mean thats all i smoke but a few times a month i do...every time i do smoke from this era it just further reinforces my opinion that these are the best years(more or less)to be smoking from just now.

derrek :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:34 AM 07-13-2011

Thanks! They sound awesome.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up