Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Are high-quality cigars healthier?
Diths0er 06:29 PM 11-21-2011
Are higher-quality cigars better for you than low quality? By low quality, I'm referring to cheap online house-brands, not the dried straw you get at a gas station. I've noticed that with cheap cigars, such as $19.00-a-bundle "yard gars", I get an undefinable sickly feeling sometimes that is unrelated to the taste. Also, I notice the nicotine effect is much-I don't know how to say it- rougher? Not as pure, as if sumthin' else is mixed in there, even though they are 100% tobacco cigars. The physical effects from say a Rocky seem far more smoother than a comparable-strength cheapie. Could it be some sort of dye in the maduros, or a bleaching agent for the lighter wrappers (i.e., to wash out major discolorations)?
[Reply]
Bill86 06:33 PM 11-21-2011
No. Unless you mean healthier than fakes with god knows what in them. Then I suppose the answer could be yes.

I don't think too many of us are concerned about health involving smoking though.
[Reply]
Ogre 06:34 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
No. Unless you mean healthier than fakes with god knows what in them. Then I suppose the answer could be yes.

I don't think too many of us are concerned about health involving smoking though.
:-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:37 PM 11-21-2011
As long as you are talking cigars made from straight tobacco, then I'd say they are a wash.

BUT... Some cigars use a binder or wrapper that is a tobacco product, basically a mix of ground tobacco and some sort of paste to make it into a paper. I'm not sure what that is, but... Might it be fine? Could be, but I'd rather not smoke it - if for no other reason than, I've had one and it tastes like $#!T.

Hope that helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
Diths0er 06:39 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:

Well, perhaps what I should have said is, are low-quality cigars less healthy. I've never tasted petroleum distillates in a Cohiba. It's not that I'm concerned about smoking cigars per se, just about what might be in those really cheap house brands.
[Reply]
Diths0er 06:42 PM 11-21-2011
I only smoke them when I'm out in bad weather or some other situation where a cigar helps the time pass, but don't want to waste something better.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:43 PM 11-21-2011
Sounds like you are describing the difference between low quality tobacco and high quality tobacco, to me.
[Reply]
Diths0er 06:46 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Sounds like you are describing the difference between low quality tobacco and high quality tobacco, to me.
Maybe.
That just might be it.

I've heard that some cheap maduros are dyed. Any idea what they might use for that?
[Reply]
Dr Voss 07:05 PM 11-21-2011
Maybe it's just because I'm a newbie but it seems like there can be quite a variety in the "buzz" factor even with high quality smokes as well. I've also been told a full or empty stomach can make a big difference too, specially with full body sticks.
[Reply]
dave 08:34 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Diths0er:
I've heard that some cheap maduros are dyed. Any idea what they might use for that?
That topic has been beat up pretty good and I, for one, have come to the determination that all "respectable" manufacturers that "dye" maduros use tobacco-"extract" for the "dye". And, I believe that to include (most of?) those you referred to above. Because, by and large, even the bundles from the larger retailers come from "respectable" factories.

......Sorry for all the quotation marks, but.... now I can claim to have meant what I thought I meant and not how any of you interpret it. :-)
[Reply]
Remo 09:03 AM 11-22-2011
Not sure if you can even put Cigars and Healthier in the same sentence :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:09 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0:
Not sure if you can even put Cigars and Healthier in the same sentence :-)
I can. "Smoking cigars is healthier than smoking crystal meth.".

See? I did it! What do I win? :-)
[Reply]
Remo 09:11 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Ah I see what you did there :-) here's your prize bro :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:11 AM 11-22-2011

A cookie. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 09:18 AM 11-22-2011
I like Peter's prize better, Mike.

[Reply]
chaase321 09:19 AM 11-22-2011

PROVE IT!:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:20 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by chaase321:
Not a problem.
[Reply]
Remo 09:24 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by chaase321:
Cigars = Healthier

Attached:
[Reply]
icehog3 09:26 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0:
Cigars = Healthier

Attachment 10768
Thanks, Mike. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:48 AM 11-22-2011
Different outfits use dyes and molasses and other crap in their cigars.
I think I know exactly what you're asking, and I'd absolutely say yes.

To back that up, what's the difference between a CAO Flavours Cherry Bomb pc and a Por Larranaga pc? If anyone can smoke the former the whole way through without dying, they deserve a medal. The second, they'll want another one. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up