Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar lighting revelation
Newbie_nick 02:31 AM 06-25-2012
To the experienced smokers out there, this probably won't be much of a revelation, but to me, it certainly was. Hopefully, it will help one of my fellow newb's!

In the past few months, I have really had a lot of trouble with cigars tasting somewhat boring. They all had a burny, harsh taste, and I just couldn't pick out any flavors from them. It was really beginning to disappoint me, and I was losing some interest in my cigar-smoking passion.

About 3 weeks ago, I was at my favorite cigar stores, and I watched an "old timer" light his cigar. He wasn't pushing the flame from his lighter into the foot of his cigar. He was letting the heat from the flame come up to the foot as he drew it in. I went home that night and read similar advice on a few different cigar manufacturer's websites and thought that I would try it.

I've started 2 different things now. 1st, I keep the flame off of the cigar when toasting the foot. The foot is above the flame and toasts via the rising heat, not the intense flame. 2nd, I draw the heat up and into the cigar when I'm lighting it rather than allowing the flame to directly touch the foot. Low and behold, it has made a huge difference in the flavor that I am experiencing from my cigar smoking! Again, this probably isn't anything new for some of you, but hopefully, this might help a frustrated newb.

Enjoy!
Nick
[Reply]
longknocker 03:59 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Newbie_nick:
To the experienced smokers out there, this probably won't be much of a revelation, but to me, it certainly was. Hopefully, it will help one of my fellow newb's!

In the past few months, I have really had a lot of trouble with cigars tasting somewhat boring. They all had a burny, harsh taste, and I just couldn't pick out any flavors from them. It was really beginning to disappoint me, and I was losing some interest in my cigar-smoking passion.

About 3 weeks ago, I was at my favorite cigar stores, and I watched an "old timer" light his cigar. He wasn't pushing the flame from his lighter into the foot of his cigar. He was letting the heat from the flame come up to the foot as he drew it in. I went home that night and read similar advice on a few different cigar manufacturer's websites and thought that I would try it.

I've started 2 different things now. 1st, I keep the flame off of the cigar when toasting the foot. The foot is above the flame and toasts via the rising heat, not the intense flame. 2nd, I draw the heat up and into the cigar when I'm lighting it rather than allowing the flame to directly touch the foot. Low and behold, it has made a huge difference in the flavor that I am experiencing from my cigar smoking! Again, this probably isn't anything new for some of you, but hopefully, this might help a frustrated newb.

Enjoy!
Nick
:-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 05:51 AM 06-25-2012
:-) X2

Glad it has worked for the better!
[Reply]
Jasonw560 05:53 AM 06-25-2012
Glad you figured this out. Makes for a better experience. Hopefully this will help a newb. It's something we all had to learn sometime.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:00 AM 06-25-2012
I lite mine a little different, I never draw a flame into the cigar.
I toast it at a distance and then get the entire foot to glow even, blowing on the foot helps. Then I softly draw and recheck the foot for even glow and burn.

There are several ways to lite a cigar, glad you found one that works!
[Reply]
Jasonw560 06:03 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I toast it at a distance and then get the entire foot to glow even, blowing on the foot helps. Then I softly draw and recheck the foot for even glow and burn.
I saw Michael Nouri do that in a movie once. Look like it worked, so I started doing it. It does help.
[Reply]
Hem 06:27 AM 06-25-2012
Great tip! Will have to try this out today!
[Reply]
icehog3 08:19 AM 06-25-2012
I have been lighting my cigars this way for quite some time now as well. :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 08:23 AM 06-25-2012

:-):-)
[Reply]
dvickery 09:55 AM 06-25-2012
try this next...something i picked up from heiko in switzerland...i dont cut the cigar until after lighting.

derrek
[Reply]
FriendlyMan 09:56 AM 06-25-2012
If I may chime in and add, paper matches or regular bic lighters are not good for the cigar as well. Beside inhaling all the fuel is not as natural as Cigar smoke :-) most better cigar lighter use butane. But I'v heard from many people that they toast it and blow it rather than inhaling any of the fuels while lighting. That's why some cigar bars still offer wood to light the cigar with if you noticed.
[Reply]
pektel 10:02 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by dvickery:
try this next...something i picked up from heiko in switzerland...i dont cut the cigar until after lighting.

derrek
I was going to try this, but I do check draw before lighting.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:06 AM 06-25-2012

derrek
I've done that before on accident :-)
[Reply]
czerbe 10:13 AM 06-25-2012

derrek
Never heard of that one... :-)
[Reply]
Big Bert 03:41 PM 06-25-2012
This is exactly what I do :-) glad you're enjoying your smokes more, that's what is all about.
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 05:56 PM 06-25-2012

I'll have to try that next! That method sounds like it would take a bit more time and might be tricky outside when it's windy, but I'll give it a shot.

Originally Posted by FriendlyMan:
If I may chime in and add, paper matches or regular bic lighters are not good for the cigar as well. Beside inhaling all the fuel is not as natural as Cigar smoke :-) most better cigar lighter use butane. But I'v heard from many people that they toast it and blow it rather than inhaling any of the fuels while lighting. That's why some cigar bars still offer wood to light the cigar with if you noticed.
Oh yeah...a big +1 on this one for me. I only use butane! I haven't tried blowing outward though, but I guess that it would have the same effect as toasting the foot until it was glowing hot. In either case, you wouldn't be sucking fumes into your cigar.

Thanks for adding to the thread, all!

Nick
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:00 PM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by FriendlyMan:
regular bic lighters are not good for the cigar as well.
Why not? They are just another butane lighter and butane is odorless and tasteless, fwiw.
[Reply]
pektel 06:35 PM 06-25-2012
I primarily use a bic. Unless I'm outside, then I use a ronson.
[Reply]
FriendlyMan 06:42 PM 06-25-2012
Very interesting to learn this. I think its here or it was probably on the old fourm where I read that the disposable lighters are ussally not butane.
I guess I got wrong info.

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Why not? They are just another butane lighter and butane is odorless and tasteless, fwiw.

[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:01 AM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by Newbie_nick:
I'll have to try that next! That method sounds like it would take a bit more time and might be tricky outside when it's windy, but I'll give it a shot.

Nick
Yah it is a bit tricky with a breeze, it also uses more butane.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up