Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>La gran oferta lancero
Don Fernando 08:49 PM 11-19-2019
In the last few years, My Father Cigars has focussed on finding old Cuban brands. Brands that have been long gone. And not just the names, but also the old artwork, and turning those old Cuban brands in successful new Nicaraguan brands. And with a lot of success, as their first attempt Flor de las Antillas became Cigar Aficionado cigar of the year 2012. La Antiguedad and La Opulencia were the next revived brands and the latest addition to the list is La Gran Oferta.

The great offer, as the name translates to in English, is an old brand that vanished over a century ago yet the My Father team managed to find the old artwork, which is quite a remarkable achievement. Then they used that name and artwork to create a cigar with filler and binder from their own tobacco fields in Nicaragua, added an Ecuadorian Habano Rosado wrapper and released it in the summer of 2018 for the US market, and in September last year for the international markets.

Name: My Father La Gran Oferta
Factory: My Father S.A.
Size: 7½x38
Vitola: Lancero
Wrapper: Ecuador Habano Rosado
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: € 13,20 (Netherlands)
Cutter: Xikar X2
Lighter: single flame
Smoke conditions: indoors with ventilator
Smoke time: 
Two hours thirty minutes
Purchased at Cigaragua

The wrapper had that reddish shine that belongs to a Rosado wrapper. It has some tooth and looks great. The cigar is rolled Cuban style, with a triple cap and a small pigtail. The ring does not use the old artwork, that’s only available on the boxes. The foot of the cigar is protected with a cloth ring. The cigar has a strong aroma of hay and farm animals. The cigar feels good to the touch.

The cigar has a great cold draw, with notes of pepper and raisins. The first few puffs taste like strong espresso before turning into leather with green herbs, nutmeg, and some black pepper. A little bit of hay is noticeable on the background. After an inch, the cigar has a cinnamon sweetness with mild pepper. After a third, there are dried leaves and leather, sweet but dry. Halfway the leather is the dominant flavor, with cinnamon, mild wood, pepper, and some sweetness. The final third shows a growing pepper with some citrus and cinnamon. The last few puffs taste like macadamia nuts.

The light-colored ash isn’t very firm. The burn is good, yet needed a few little corrections. The smoke starts medium in volume and thickness but gets thicker and fuller along the way. The cigar is mellow, smooth, well balanced and rounded. Medium bodied, medium-full flavored.

Strength: Medium
Flavor: Medium

For the final score with a scientific diagram, a video and pictures, go to: https://ministryofcigars.com/la-gran-oferta-lancero/
[Reply]
Up