Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Help me pick first humi
Smokin0808 10:43 AM 09-07-2013
I looking to get my first humidor and wanted to ask for some opinions on the ones I'm looking at. I know humis bought online can be a crap shoot. I'm looking at these:
My personal favorite. It has a key, good size, and nice looking
https://www.cigarextras.com/product/...umidors-Medium

Another with key, maybe a little bulky
http://www.cubancrafters.com/product...00-CIGARS.html

Nice looking, and not expensive
http://www.elighters.com/vhud601.html

Nice looking, great size, is it still functional as a desktop?
http://www.elighters.com/vhud77.html

Any opinions are appreciated.
[Reply]
TJarv 10:49 AM 09-07-2013
If you think that you are going to fall down this crazy slope that most of us experience then I suggest looking at larger humidors. My first humi was the Treasuredome (250 count), and I outgrew it in 3 months. Just something to consider.

Out of those I like the maple one.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:19 AM 09-07-2013
Rule #1 always get bigger than you think you'll need, because you'll need it. If you are set on getting something really nice like your first link you can go to http://www.danielmarshall.com/humidors.html and they have seconds onsale there for less than 50% of their regular price, these usually have a tiny smudge or imperfection and 9 times out of 10 it's nothing the average person will ever notice unless you are looking for it. They are beautiful boxes, I love mine, that being said, I filled it up in 20 seconds and was back to looking for something bigger.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:24 AM 09-07-2013
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621
[Reply]
maninblack 11:40 AM 09-07-2013
Tower or aristocrat
[Reply]
DMK 12:16 PM 09-07-2013
Just get a cooler....:-)
[Reply]
Smokin0808 02:25 PM 09-07-2013
I know everyone says go bigger because you eventually outgrow your desktop humidors. When that happens I'll go the coolidor route. Until then, a desktop sure would be nice. And, when I do outgrow it, that doesn't mean I can't use it.

I like the DM humis, but I don't see anyplace on the website for seconds. Do I have to contact them on those?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:39 PM 09-07-2013
Originally Posted by Smokin0808:
I know everyone says go bigger because you eventually outgrow your desktop humidors. When that happens I'll go the coolidor route. Until then, a desktop sure would be nice. And, when I do outgrow it, that doesn't mean I can't use it.

I like the DM humis, but I don't see anyplace on the website for seconds. Do I have to contact them on those?
You just have to look at the list and email them, they get back to you within a day and deal with them like that. It's pretty painless.

http://www.danielmarshall.com/sale.html
[Reply]
Remo 03:54 PM 09-07-2013

Go custom, after searching the net and not finding anything I liked, I had mine built.
Attached:
[Reply]
Remo 03:55 PM 09-07-2013

About a 250 count.
Attached:
[Reply]
lilninjabuddy 03:58 PM 09-07-2013
I strongly recommend a coolidor. You don't need fancy right now, you need reliable and easy storage. Starting out, you should spend your money on figuring out what cigars you like, and biw many you need on hand. Go to Amazon and get a $20 Coleman 28qt, and four Spanish cedar trays from cheaphumidors.com.

Once you've been in the game a while, and have a better idea of how many cigars you truly want to have in hand, you'll have a better idea of what you want/need out of a desktop humidor (size, quality, price, etc.) and can make a better decision.

I went through four or five different sizes and qualities of humidors. I don't own one anymore as I now use a wineador and a cooler for everything and found out I don't really need a desktop.
[Reply]
Smokin0808 10:23 PM 09-07-2013
Originally Posted by lilninjabuddy:
I strongly recommend a coolidor. You don't need fancy right now, you need reliable and easy storage. Starting out, you should spend your money on figuring out what cigars you like, and biw many you need on hand. Go to Amazon and get a $20 Coleman 28qt, and four Spanish cedar trays from cheaphumidors.com.

Once you've been in the game a while, and have a better idea of how many cigars you truly want to have in hand, you'll have a better idea of what you want/need out of a desktop humidor (size, quality, price, etc.) and can make a better decision.

I went through four or five different sizes and qualities of humidors. I don't own one anymore as I now use a wineador and a cooler for everything and found out I don't really need a desktop.
I've certainly thought about a cooler, as I said, but it will take me a couple years to fill even a 50 stick humidor. When I need one, I'll get one. Until then, I want a desktop. Here's another model I can across. Not my favorite, appearance wise, but may be very functional, and a nice price.
http://t.thompsoncigar.com/product/X...IDOR/88221.uts
[Reply]
pnoon 10:25 PM 09-07-2013
Avoid Thompson like the plague.
:-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 10:45 PM 09-07-2013
Originally Posted by TJarv:
If you think that you are going to fall down this crazy slope that most of us experience then I suggest looking at larger humidors. My first humi was the Treasuredome (250 count), and I outgrew it in 3 months. Just something to consider.

Out of those I like the maple one.
Tony is correct, take what you are thinking and multiply by 3, then buy 3 of that size... :-)

Originally Posted by DMK:
Just get a cooler....
Wise Words from a wise man... :-)

Originally Posted by pnoon:
Even Wiser words... :-)

I started with a 50 ct, then after my first trade that was full, So I went into 2 large tupperdors while having my custom humi built, Less than a year later it is nearly full, luckily I designed it to be expandable so all I have to do is have an extra section built, which I will probably need by the end of the year... :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:48 AM 09-08-2013
Some of us do like having a nice desktop humi (or 2 or 3), I have 2 that I love and look very nice out on display, one I keep unbanded sticks in and one I use as a dry box and keep a nice selection of cigars in it that I'll be smoking at home, just rotate them through.

So while people have his best interest at heart telling him just to get a cooler, I think you have to remember that there are many phases to this great hobby and adventure and to me personally one of them is having a nice humi so when people come over, if someone wants a cigar they can just go in the humi and not have to pry open a 150 quart cooler... lol.
[Reply]
TJarv 09:12 AM 09-08-2013
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/h...-dome-humidor/
[Reply]
Smokin0808 10:10 AM 09-08-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Some of us do like having a nice desktop humi (or 2 or 3), I have 2 that I love and look very nice out on display, one I keep unbanded sticks in and one I use as a dry box and keep a nice selection of cigars in it that I'll be smoking at home, just rotate them through.

So while people have his best interest at heart telling him just to get a cooler, I think you have to remember that there are many phases to this great hobby and adventure and to me personally one of them is having a nice humi so when people come over, if someone wants a cigar they can just go in the humi and not have to pry open a 150 quart cooler... lol.
Exactly. Actually, my ideal humi would hold 20-30, and have a lock and key. It would simply be the next cigars I intend to smoke. Anything more would go in a cooler, and I would just fill the desktop as needed.
[Reply]
Ed M 12:45 PM 09-08-2013
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Listen to him, He speaks the truth!
[Reply]
Smokin0808 01:21 PM 09-08-2013
Wow, I didn't know Thompson was so bad. Good to know.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 01:33 PM 09-08-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:

I couldn't agree more. Many folk are perfectly happy to keep their smokes in plastic. Others, like myself, prefer wood. Both work from a utility standpoint, and dollar wise you can get a lot more plastic for your money. But wood has soul. A cooler or wineador is simply functional.

While I have a cabinet for bulk storage, I have two wooden humidors I use for singles. One is a smaller cherry wood unit my wife gave me around twenty years ago. It gets used every day, sits on my desk, and is displayed with pride. It's probably around a 75 count.

Then I have a 350 count on the credenza behind my desk I use for NCs. Decent looking unit I've had for seven years or so. It's just now starting to acquire the lovely smell that older, well used cedar lined humidors have.

So while many prefer plastic, there are also those of us who enjoy a traditional humidor. If you fall into the second camp, buy a good one you'll be proud of in the decades to come.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up