Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>MUNKY's AW-281E Wineador Build
MUNKY 05:14 PM 07-27-2013
Finally getting settled in the new place and got the new flooring going in and the wife and I decided to build a home bar. Putting in 2 wine coolers. One for the tasty beverages the other for the sticks. Unfortunately on my second set of 2, FedEx has beat the heck out of em. The second one is in route, again. One seasoning with boxes, Can't wait! Will update as I get more complete. Thanks to all the great info here, and you psychos!

[Reply]
.cigardude. 05:25 PM 07-27-2013
Good luck with the build.
Sucks that they dented up the cooler but Air&Water has great customer service, you'll be up and running with the second cooler in no time.
[Reply]
bobarian 05:34 PM 07-27-2013
Why are you seasoning boxes? :-) Wine coolers, being made of plastic need absolutely no seasoning before usage. If they are free of odors, cigars and humidification can be added immediately. Some choose to plug the drain hole others do not, if plugged be sure you have something to capture any moisture that may accumulate. :-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 05:46 PM 07-27-2013
Nice job, Brandon! Nice to hear that they're taking care if the damaged unit.

Bob, these coolers have a funky smell when new. The cedar boxes help with the aromatic seasoning. I've found, in my experience, this helps with plastic interiors (coolers, igloos, Tupperware, etc.) in terms of odor. He did it based on my suggestion.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:01 PM 07-27-2013
Odors can be eliminated by washing with a weak ammonia solution or baking soda on a wet sponge. Leaving the door open will also help to vent the odors which often originate with the foam injected as insulation. :-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 06:18 PM 07-27-2013
He's putting cedar boxes in a wine cooler, not unleashing a plague. I understand that's not the way you would have done it. But it's not hurting anything, and it works. He's following our builds, and we covered cleaning the interior. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 07:00 PM 07-27-2013
You're right, I built my wine coolers five years ago so I probably forgot how to do things. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:05 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by Lockspur:
He's putting cedar boxes in a wine cooler.... :-)
Are people adding cedar to impart flavors to the cigars or for other reasons? Just curious...
[Reply]
Zane 07:17 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Are people adding cedar to impart flavors to the cigars or for other reasons? Just curious...
I assume to help humidity maintain after opening and closing? And just general storage of singles?

:-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 07:56 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
You're right, I built my wine coolers five years ago so I probably forgot how to do things. :-)
I'm not saying your methods are wrong. There's more than one way to skin a cat. :-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 07:59 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I find that cedar boxes are great for storing singles in coolers. Not only that, but I found that by placing a few in there after cleaning, it helped with odor control...get rid of the new box smell. Especially while its running for a day or so.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:22 PM 07-27-2013
Have to say I went with the baking soda water mixture, then let the door stand open for a day or so then washed it down again and it was good to go. I used the ever popular $10 cedar trays from cheaphumidors until Forrest had my shelves finished. Worked out perfect, didn't go the 'seasoning' route.

Oh and I used some of the odorless silicon to plug up the drain hole. In the words of the Tubes, "she's a beauty".

Gluck Munky
[Reply]
MUNKY 09:15 PM 07-27-2013
Thanks guys, I did do the baking soda wash and it just still has a little plastic smell, will I harm the process by putting empty boxes in there? I was hoping it would help out the smell a little and give me a chance to test and see how it runs and what my rh would be. I have been following the steps here good stuff and much appreciated.
[Reply]
Lockspur 09:25 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by MUNKY:
Thanks guys, I did do the baking soda wash and it just still has a little plastic smell, will I harm the process by putting empty boxes in there? I was hoping it would help out the smell a little and give me a chance to test and see how it runs and what my rh would be. I have been following the steps here good stuff and much appreciated.
Will it hurt? No. I've had success with it.
[Reply]
Zane 09:35 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Have to say I went with the baking soda water mixture, then let the door stand open for a day or so then washed it down again and it was good to go. I used the ever popular $10 cedar trays from cheaphumidors until Forrest had my shelves finished. Worked out perfect, didn't go the 'seasoning' route.

Oh and I used some of the odorless silicon to plug up the drain hole. In the words of the Tubes, "she's a beauty".

Gluck Munky

Didn't season your shelves? Brave man! :-).
[Reply]
MUNKY 09:46 PM 07-31-2013
Finally got the replacement in today and just ordered shelves from Forest!
[Reply]
MUNKY 09:49 PM 08-06-2013
Shilalas beads ordered as well! Really glad for all the great info here. Not to mention all the great sticks that I got that are waiting for there new home!
[Reply]
.cigardude. 07:42 AM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by MUNKY:
Shilalas beads ordered as well! Really glad for all the great info here. Not to mention all the great sticks that I got that are waiting for there new home!
Just curious.
Any reason why you went with Shilalas and not the other ones?
[Reply]
pektel 08:02 AM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by .cigardude.:
Just curious.
Any reason why you went with Shilalas and not the other ones?
I went with HCM as well. They work, and work well. No recharging, and if the beads need a little boost, I just put a couple damp sponges (on a dish, obviously) in the cooler overnight, and all is right with them again. Only has happened to me once. After that episode, I plugged the hole in the back. But since I almost never have the unit plugged in, I don't have a problem with excess moisture.

And I'm not sure about Heartfelt, insofar as if the owner is a member here. I DO know that both the old and the new owner are members here. And I like to support out community. :-)
[Reply]
MUNKY 10:22 PM 08-08-2013
Exactly ^
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up