Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Good Eats>Chili: Beans or not?
ConMan 08:27 PM 10-20-2008
I always add some beans to the Chili.... but I do take it easy on 'em.
[Reply]
Demented 08:35 PM 10-20-2008
Traditional Texas style chili is made without beans, it can be made with ground or cut meat.

Like chili with or without beans, I always use 3 types of beans and 3 types of meat when making chili, feel it makes it more interesting.
[Reply]
Opusfxd 08:59 PM 10-20-2008
No beans. I also cut my meat into little bitty peices.
[Reply]
Mark C 05:45 AM 10-21-2008
no beans = not chili.
[Reply]
Ron1YY 06:23 AM 10-21-2008
Most of the time I make it with beans. Personally, I prefer it without.

In chili competitions, you are not allowed to put beans in your chili.

I'm the kind of person that looks online for just about everything. In my searches, I hit a goldmine!!!!! I'll find it and post it here. There is somewhere(And Like I said, I'll link it) on the web, every recipe for the last 40 years, the winner of the world chili cookoff.

If this thread spins off into a ful blown chili thread, I'll start posting each recipe!!!!!

Ron
[Reply]
white_s2k 06:28 AM 10-21-2008
I usually make my chili with 3 pounds of meat and will add in 1 can of beans.. not too much.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:47 AM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by TonySmith:
:-) It needs to be hot:-)

:-) Great point! :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:55 AM 10-21-2008
No beans!

My favorite is Skyline Chili.

I order a cheese coney with no onions or mustard and a 3-Way (Chili, Spaghetti, and Cheese) when I get Skyline! :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 04:57 PM 10-21-2008
Made some chili from the inspiration of this thread. It was damn tasty :-)

A little different then what I normally make, but good :-)

[Reply]
Ron1YY 05:56 PM 10-21-2008
Looks Good Chip!!!!!!!

How about I start spilling those Recipes!!!!!

Ron
[Reply]
Ron1YY 06:00 PM 10-21-2008
1967 World Champion Chili Recipe

Winner - H. Allen Smith / Wick Fowler

Ingredients:
4 lbs course-ground chopped sirloin or tenderloin
olive oil or butter
1-2 small cans tomato paste, with water
OR fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
OR canned tomatoes pressed through a colander
3-4 medium onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2-10 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBS oregano
1/2 TSP sweet basil
1 TBS cumin seed or ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
3 TBS (or more) chili power
OR some chili pods

Instructions:
In a 4-quart pot, brown meat in oil or butter or in a blend of the two. Add the remaining ingredients, Simmer 2-3 hours with the lid on.

Enjoy
[Reply]
Ron1YY 06:04 PM 10-21-2008
1968 World Champion Chili Recipe

Winner - Woody DeSilva's Champion Chili

Ingredients:

5 medium onions, chopped
small amount cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste
4 lbs chuck beef, course chili grind or chopped into thumbnail-size pieced
5 cloves garlic, minced
4 TSB oregano
2 TSP woodruff (an herb)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 TSB paprika
scant teaspoon to full teaspoon chipenos (also known as chilipiquines), crushed (available at stores stocking Mexican groceries)
4 dashes Tabasco sauce
3 10-ounce cans tomato paste
1 6-ounce cam tomato paste water
4 TSB flour masa flour (available at stores stocking Mexican groceries)

Instructions:

In a skillet, brown onion in oil, seasoning with salt and pepper. Place in chili pot. Brown beef in skillet, adding more oil if necessary. Add garlic and 1 TSB of the oregano. Add this mixture to the chili pot.

In a paper sack, shake together the woodruff, cayenne pepper, paprika, New Mexico chili powder, cumin, the remaining 3 TSB oregano and the chipeno. Add the blended spices to the chili pot. Brown beef in chili pot with the Tabasco sauce, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Add enough water to cover the meat and simmer at least 2 hours.

Cool the chili; refrigerate it overnight. Skim off the excess grease. Reheat the chili to the boiling point and stir in a paste made of the flour and a little water to thicken the mixture. Stir constantly to prevent sticking and scorching, adding water as necessary for the desired texture.
[Reply]
Aladdin Sane 06:05 PM 10-21-2008
BEANS!!!!

:-)

and a lot of cumin
[Reply]
kgraybill 07:32 PM 10-21-2008
Beans for me! I tend to overdo it with the beans and the wife only wants me to make it when I'm going out for a while:-). I use kidney and pork & beans. the pork & beans sweeten it up a bit. I like it HOT so I have to make one pot hot and another medium for the others.
[Reply]
opus 07:36 PM 10-21-2008
Yes!
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:44 PM 10-21-2008
Here is the guestimate of the recipe I used for the chili I made above.

3 lbs cubed beef
1 super can of light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans Mexi-corn (the one with the peppers in it)
1 med. onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped (I chose the orange)
3 jalapenos chopped (more if you like)
1 jar roasted red peppers chopped
2 cans chopped tomatoes (chipotle style or with peppers)
Chili powder
Onion powder
Paprika
Cumin

Turn on your slow cooker to "LOW"
ADD Beans and tomatoes and corn.
STIR to combine
COOK beef in a pan to about medium with chili powder, onion powder and paprika
ADD beef and juices to the slow cooker
STIR to combine
SAUTE onion, pepper, jalapenos and roasted red peppers
ADD to slow cooker
STIR to combine
ADD cumin and chili powder and any other spices you may like to taste
COOK on "Low" for atleast 2 Hours

It is just some basic thing I threw together yesterday, hope someone else tries it and likes it :-)
[Reply]
macpappy 08:03 PM 10-21-2008
If you add corn or any vegetable other than tomatoes, onion, garlic and beans then it is not chili. It's a thick soup.
[Reply]
silentjon 09:55 PM 10-21-2008
I prefer mine with beans. Lots of them.
[Reply]
Tex 10:12 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by macpappy:
Born a Texan, raised a Texan, eat chili like a Texan.

It was originally called chili con carne and it didn't have beans in it. It didn't have bacon in it. You don't serve it over rice.

All it is is cubed or ground beef with chili peppers and onions seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin and cooked over a slow fire in a cast iron dutch oven. It was made by the camp cook while the ranch hands were out on the range. It was served with warm tortillas or cornbread.

Then there was a desire to stretch the chili to feed more people, so the cooks started adding tomatoes and beans. BUT THEY STILL DIDN'T SERVE IT OVER RICE.

Then there is that stuff they call hot dog chili which is usually just a liquified chili.

Now, good chili can be made with beef, buffalo, venison, or even elk. IF IT'S MADE USING CHICKEN, TURKEY, VEGETABLES OR SOY PRODUCTS DON'T CALL IT CHILI. Call it soup or stew or something but it ain't chili.

Now, all that being said, I occasionally like to have my chili (with or without beans) over Frito corn chips and topped with red onions and cheese.

Chili doesn't have to be hot to be good. However, when I'm cooking chili people know it's right when they walk into the kitchen and break out in a sweat. I measure how hot the chili by the number of beers you have to drink per bowl. I like two beers to the bowl.
Spoken like a true native son. Couldn't agree more. Matter of fact, though, my wife (who's not from Texas) asked me tonight to make some chili, but only if it didn't burn both ways like it usually does!:-)
[Reply]
basil 11:10 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by livwire68:
I usually just do a pot of pinto's and add my pulled pork or brisket. I really have not made chili, but was thinking of doing the same. Put me in for beans with chili.
My mom does this. But she doesn't call it chili

Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
An additional dimension to this discussion: What do you eat with your chili??
Saltine crackers or cornbread.

If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got know beans. "Chili" is "chili con carne" shortened, and refers not just to the chili pepper, but a preparation using chili peppers and various spices. With meat added. I've eaten at a lot of Mexican food joints and I've never seen chili con carne y frijoles, or chili con carne y arroz on any menu.

Having said all that, I use a recipe called "Chili Blanco" that calls for chicken, great northern white beans, and green chilis (Anaheim is best). Garnished with green onion and grated pepper jack. It is awesome.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up