Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Good Eats>Chili: Beans or not?
spincycle 11:53 AM 10-20-2008
+1 for Beans. Helps keep things moving too! :-)
[Reply]
tnip23 12:06 PM 10-20-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:
never thought of adding that.. does it really add to the dish?

I think that the dark cocoa adds a nice depth of flavor to the dish, it's something you don't use a whole lot of, but it really goes well. Many mexican mole' sauces contain chocolate as well.

On a side note, this thread has inspired me to thaw out a bag of my chili, leftover from labor day, to have for MNF tonight.
[Reply]
livwire68 12:20 PM 10-20-2008
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
I do beans... half kidney and half pinto. For meat I use chunks of BBQed brisket. Not to brag or anything... but it is the BOMB!!
I usually just do a pot of pinto's and add my pulled pork or brisket. I really have not made chili, but was thinking of doing the same. Put me in for beans with chili.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 12:21 PM 10-20-2008
If it's the/a main course, I like it to have beans

if it's a topping (like on a chili dog) then I prefer no beans
[Reply]
KidRock 12:21 PM 10-20-2008
Without Beans!! :-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 12:27 PM 10-20-2008
For hotdogs and hamburgers, no beans.

For stand-alone chili, beans, red or kidney.
[Reply]
jquirit 12:55 PM 10-20-2008
For my chili it's usually with beans (pinto and white). Trying to eat better, so the added beans give me some added fiber I need in my diet.
[Reply]
doctorcue 01:47 PM 10-20-2008
Originally Posted by RX2010:
If it's the/a main course, I like it to have beans

if it's a topping (like on a chili dog) then I prefer no beans
That makes perfect sense! I agree completely.
[Reply]
bigloo 02:02 PM 10-20-2008
No beans, ever. As far as beans make is healthier is concerned, I think the 1lbs of cheez I lay on top would need to go before I started to try make chili healthy:-) but hey, eat what you like, like what you eat (hey, mmm, where have I heard something similar to that before).
[Reply]
jledou 02:06 PM 10-20-2008
Beans for me and usually multiple types. The total number of different types (black, kidney, pinto and or navy) depends on the size of the pot.

Just made a large crockpot last night.
[Reply]
D_A 03:04 PM 10-20-2008
I definitely like beans in my chili, but not canned beans.
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 03:22 PM 10-20-2008
Texas style is the only way I make mine.....No beans!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 05:43 PM 10-20-2008
I fall into the "with Beans" category, simply because I like beans in my chili. Always have. Of course, that is for stand alone chili. On hot dogs, strictly bean free!

I generally make mine with a combination of ground Venison and cubed venison. Haven't made it with beef in several years. Actually laid out 2 pounds of venison to thaw for cubing for chili in the next day or two. Mainly use fresh pepper from the garden, but I picked them all a couple of weeks ago to clear the space for turning under for winter. That reminds me, I have to go pull some peppers out of the freezer for the chili.

An additional dimension to this discussion: What do you eat with your chili??

I prefer grilled cheese sandwiches, but will eat with cheese and chips as an alternative. Even been known to eat it without additional sides. But, always with beans.
[Reply]
TonySmith 05:49 PM 10-20-2008
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack:
Texas style is the only way I make mine.....No beans!
I vote no beans.
I like beans, just not in chili
[Reply]
White97Jimmy 06:09 PM 10-20-2008
I'll eat it either way. When I make it in my crock pot, I usually throw some in, along with some corn.
[Reply]
macpappy 06:27 PM 10-20-2008
Born a Texan, raised a Texan, eat chili like a Texan.

It was originally called chili con carne and it didn't have beans in it. It didn't have bacon in it. You don't serve it over rice.

All it is is cubed or ground beef with chili peppers and onions seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin and cooked over a slow fire in a cast iron dutch oven. It was made by the camp cook while the ranch hands were out on the range. It was served with warm tortillas or cornbread.

Then there was a desire to stretch the chili to feed more people, so the cooks started adding tomatoes and beans. BUT THEY STILL DIDN'T SERVE IT OVER RICE.

Then there is that stuff they call hot dog chili which is usually just a liquified chili.

Now, good chili can be made with beef, buffalo, venison, or even elk. IF IT'S MADE USING CHICKEN, TURKEY, VEGETABLES OR SOY PRODUCTS DON'T CALL IT CHILI. Call it soup or stew or something but it ain't chili.

Now, all that being said, I occasionally like to have my chili (with or without beans) over Frito corn chips and topped with red onions and cheese.

Chili doesn't have to be hot to be good. However, when I'm cooking chili people know it's right when they walk into the kitchen and break out in a sweat. I measure how hot the chili by the number of beers you have to drink per bowl. I like two beers to the bowl.
[Reply]
ucla695 07:10 PM 10-20-2008
I don't feel strongly either way, but I tend to prefer my chili with beans. I feel it adds to the texture and taste. Actually, come to think of it, I don't recall eating it without.
[Reply]
jcarlton 07:20 PM 10-20-2008
Without beans for me served with diced onion and shredded extra sharp cheddar. I will eat chili with beans but this Image becomes a real possibility.
[Reply]
TonySmith 07:24 PM 10-20-2008
Originally Posted by macpappy:
Born a Texan, raised a Texan, eat chili like a Texan.

It was originally called chili con carne and it didn't have beans in it. It didn't have bacon in it. You don't serve it over rice.

All it is is cubed or ground beef with chili peppers and onions seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin and cooked over a slow fire in a cast iron dutch oven. It was made by the camp cook while the ranch hands were out on the range. It was served with warm tortillas or cornbread.

Then there was a desire to stretch the chili to feed more people, so the cooks started adding tomatoes and beans. BUT THEY STILL DIDN'T SERVE IT OVER RICE.

Then there is that stuff they call hot dog chili which is usually just a liquified chili.

Now, good chili can be made with beef, buffalo, venison, or even elk. IF IT'S MADE USING CHICKEN, TURKEY, VEGETABLES OR SOY PRODUCTS DON'T CALL IT CHILI. Call it soup or stew or something but it ain't chili.

Now, all that being said, I occasionally like to have my chili (with or without beans) over Frito corn chips and topped with red onions and cheese.

Chili doesn't have to be hot to be good. However, when I'm cooking chili people know it's right when they walk into the kitchen and break out in a sweat. I measure how hot the chili by the number of beers you have to drink per bowl. I like two beers to the bowl.
:-) It needs to be hot:-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:21 PM 10-20-2008
This thread inspired some home made chili, can't wait until tommorow :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up