Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Good Eats>Anyone have a good TUNA recipe?
BUCASmoker 07:15 PM 06-15-2009
I am looking to get more into seafood, but I don't know how to cook it very well.

My favorite fish is tuna, and I'd like to learn how to cook really nice tuna steaks.

I know you're supposed to sear it and leave the inside rare, but what kind of glaze or sauce do you guys use?
[Reply]
Tripp 08:05 PM 06-15-2009
I generally use cajun and sesame seeds if I actually end up cooking the tuna, but as far as a glaze goes I like Alton's recipe.
[Reply]
Biglizard1 11:25 PM 06-15-2009
i have always enjoyed simple things. wrap that steak in bacon and sear to preference, little seasoning with s+p and use olive oil in the pan. Works for me!
[Reply]
Tio Gato 04:01 AM 06-16-2009
One thing to consider is that you don't have to keep the inside raw or very rare.
It's just like steak, it's all about personal preference.
Foodnetwork.com or epicurious.com has some great tuna recipes.

Don't be intimidated by seafood. It's really easy to cook and good for you.
[Reply]
adampc22 04:19 AM 06-16-2009
there is only one sea food i like :-)

oi get you mind out of the gutter i ment fish and chips
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:56 AM 06-16-2009
Ive only had it a few times. Once was out at a restaurant and it was crusted in sesame seeds and barely cooked. The second time was grilled with a sesame garlic sauce. I love it and is even great raw, tastes like raw beef

----------------
Now playing: Kenny Chesney - Out Last Night
via FoxyTunes
[Reply]
bobarian 09:47 AM 06-16-2009
Coat the outside with untoasted sesame seeds, sear in a hot pan. Wasabi Mayo on the side drizzle with a little soy or teriyaki sauce. :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 10:04 AM 06-16-2009
Brush with a little bit of olive oil. Coat with your favorite cajun seasoning (olive oil helps the seasoning "stick"). Sear both sides - leave inside rare. Eat.

Really simple and I absolutely love it.
[Reply]
poker 10:10 AM 06-16-2009
slice up that bad boy raw, place on little balls of rice with a dab of wasabi & serve. :-)
[Reply]
BigCat 10:58 AM 06-16-2009
marinate in soy sauce, fresh ground ginger and sesame seeds. Grill to desired doneness.
[Reply]
fxpose 11:00 AM 06-16-2009
As already mentioned, I like tuna only one way.....raw, as in sashimi. I like sushi too.
[Reply]
rrplasencia 11:05 AM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
slice up that bad boy raw, place on little balls of rice with a dab of wasabi & serve. :-)
:-) but if not the most important thing to get is a good piece of tuna. i've served tuna 50 different way in my restaurants but if the tuna wasn't sushi grade or at least a +1 or A+ grade it dosn't matter what you do to it. make it easy on yourself. kikkoman makes a roasted teriyaki glaze, marinate the fish in that. make an oil mixture 1Tbsp sesame oil and 3Tbsp oil oil (not extra virgin you don't wan't it to taste like olives) get a heavy non-stick pan hot, then add a little oil, then sear, with all the sugar it will char up quickly, charred and caramelized on the outside and nice and rare on the inside. with some good rice and maybe some pea sprouts tossed with some of the same oil left over and a little rice wine vinegar
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 05:27 PM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
i'd do it if it was fresh... but I have to get mine cryo frozen from the grocery store.
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 05:29 PM 06-16-2009
I cooked some today for dinner. I just mixed some soy sauce with a ton of wasabi paste and let the tuna sit in it for 15 minutes each side, and just seared the outside.

Turned out pretty good... but not much flavor from the sauce. I need to use something stronger I think.
[Reply]
MadAl 11:25 AM 06-17-2009
I marinade (for a couple of hours, max) in a simple teriaki sauce, soy sauce, some brown sugar, grated ginger and scallions, use the leftover to make a dipping sauce, add a half teaspoon or so of corn starch and heat it up until it just starts to boil.
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 03:46 AM 06-18-2009
Cajun Tuna Remoulade

Ingredients:

4 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 small (.5 oz) yellow peppers, pickled, hot; seeded, minced
1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons dill weed, fresh; chopped
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons dill pickle; minced
1/2 teaspoon horseradish
2 large eggs; hard cooked, sliced
2 each (6 oz) tuna steaks; fresh

Directions:

Combine all ingredients, except eggs and tuna, in a small mixing bowl. Refrigerate until needed. Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat, or preheat BBQ. Lightly oil outside of tuna steaks and season with a little salt and pepper. Place in heated pan or on BBQ. Cook on each side for about 2 - 3 minutes or to desired doneness. Serve each steak topped with sliced egg and a tablespoon of the remoulade.
[Reply]
ucla695 11:22 AM 07-04-2009
Originally Posted by Tripp:
but as far as a glaze goes I like Alton's recipe.
This is the first recipe that popped into my mind. :-)

Originally Posted by BUCASmoker:
I cooked some today for dinner. I just mixed some soy sauce with a ton of wasabi paste and let the tuna sit in it for 15 minutes each side, and just seared the outside.

Turned out pretty good... but not much flavor from the sauce. I need to use something stronger I think.
Anything with a strong flavor will work. Soy sauce, something acidic, etc... I've grilled tuna up with salt and a decent amount of cracked black pepper and it has been good.
[Reply]
md4958 11:26 AM 07-04-2009
Originally Posted by Tripp:
I generally use cajun and sesame seeds if I actually end up cooking the tuna, but as far as a glaze goes I like Alton's recipe.
Ive had this and it was great

Originally Posted by rrplasencia:
:-) but if not the most important thing to get is a good piece of tuna. i've served tuna 50 different way in my restaurants but if the tuna wasn't sushi grade or at least a +1 or A+ grade it dosn't matter what you do to it. make it easy on yourself. kikkoman makes a roasted teriyaki glaze, marinate the fish in that. make an oil mixture 1Tbsp sesame oil and 3Tbsp oil oil (not extra virgin you don't wan't it to taste like olives) get a heavy non-stick pan hot, then add a little oil, then sear, with all the sugar it will char up quickly, charred and caramelized on the outside and nice and rare on the inside. with some good rice and maybe some pea sprouts tossed with some of the same oil left over and a little rice wine vinegar

Listen to this man, he is a first class chef!
[Reply]
renton20 12:22 PM 07-04-2009
Personally I like to keep tuna very simple. Mix up some uncooked sesame seeds with cracked black pepper and just a little sea salt on some foil. Put the tuna down on this mix on each side. Then just cook the steak for about two minutes on each side in a pre heated pan. Nothing else is like it
[Reply]
Catfish 02:43 PM 07-04-2009
Originally Posted by rrplasencia:

QFT! the man knows.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up