Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Seasoning Question
MrClean 09:35 AM 10-18-2013
I have the 150qt Igloo cooler. I ordered 2 drawers and 2 shelves that will be here next week. Any recommendations for seasoning them, or can I just throw them in and start using them? I'm assuming since I have no other storage ability for my sticks, I'm just going to start using them. I use beads for humidification, so I'll just keep an eye on my humidity unless there is something specific I should do to them.
[Reply]
T.G 09:48 AM 10-18-2013
Wood is wood. Season them as you would if you were seasoning a humidor.
[Reply]
markem 10:03 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Wood is wood. Season them as you would if you were seasoning a humidor.
:-) unless, of course, you want the wood to suck the moisture out of your sticks.
[Reply]
dwoodward 10:22 AM 10-18-2013
Keep your sticks in Tupperware until you are seasoned. Your also want to give your cooler a good cleaning beforehand. A forumsearch should give you good info.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:58 AM 10-18-2013
Please do not rush the seasoning process. Many people try to season in as short a time as possible and they are not really giving the wood the true seasoning it needs. The point of the seasoning is to saturate the wood at a desirable RH so that the wood does not dry out or wet your cigars.

I hope you enjoy your new kickass coolerdor!
[Reply]
MrClean 06:45 PM 10-18-2013
Thanks guys, I've had the cooler in use as a humidor for over a year now. Storage for my sticks out of the cooler is going to be tough, I know we don't have enough sealable containers to hold them. Anyone interested in investing in a storage bag company better do it soon, I'm liable to make one of them rich buying enough bags to hold all of them while the drawers and shelves season. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:58 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by MrClean:
Thanks guys, I've had the cooler in use as a humidor for over a year now. Storage for my sticks out of the cooler is going to be tough, I know we don't have enough sealable containers to hold them. Anyone interested in investing in a storage bag company better do it soon, I'm liable to make one of them rich buying enough bags to hold all of them while the drawers and shelves season. :-)
You might be able to pick up some inexpensive Rubbermaid containers at your local discount store. A few of those and you should be good to go -- plus you can always use them for "temporary expansion capacity" for your humidor :-)
[Reply]
T.G 07:04 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by MrClean:
Space bags. Just don't vacuum the air out.
[Reply]
MrClean 08:55 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Space bags. Just don't vacuum the air out.
Ohhhhh! I have a bunch of those, thanks for the ideas guys!!!
[Reply]
Up