Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 42 of 53
« First < 32404142 434452 > Last »
General Discussion>The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread
shilala 11:23 AM 05-25-2011
Hey guys, another question...
The frags I got Saturday, is it possible to take them off the ceramic discs, or better to leave them alone?
I can see that some are superglued on there pretty crazy, and I'll never get them off. Some I may be able to.
I guess I just want to hear "Leave them alone and just glue them to your rock" before I start killing them all. :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:44 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
Hey guys, another question...
The frags I got Saturday, is it possible to take them off the ceramic discs, or better to leave them alone?
I can see that some are superglued on there pretty crazy, and I'll never get them off. Some I may be able to.
I guess I just want to hear "Leave them alone and just glue them to your rock" before I start killing them all. :-)
Just glue the disc.
[Reply]
SteveH 12:43 PM 05-25-2011
+1. Sometimes I'll take a small nail file and roughen up the disc...It helps with both glue and biological adhesion.
[Reply]
shilala 01:19 PM 05-25-2011
Thanks, guys. Will do. :-)
[Reply]
SteveH 01:59 PM 05-25-2011
One more new addition....I actually was going to get this guy last week when I picked up the neon yellow one....But at the time this one was not being cooperative and wouldn't come unstuck. So we moved all the sand away from his foot; and once he moved the LFS snagged him for me.

[Reply]
shilala 03:44 PM 05-25-2011
The heck is that, Steve?
It's badass, but you have some kinda funkadelic lighting going on there.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 11:12 PM 05-25-2011
ITs a carpet anemone under 20k lights (just a guess)
[Reply]
SteveH 06:58 AM 05-26-2011
Yep, Carpet 'Nem.
Not sure what color temp the lights were....Im running AI LED's, where each puck is 1 warm white, one blue, and one royal blue LED. I was just messing with the color blend to find what made the guy pop out.
[Reply]
shilala 07:23 AM 05-26-2011
At the frag swap just awhile ago, the guys were running led's that made everything blue, but the corals would fluoresce. It gave everything a black light/neon paint look.
I didn't like it at all, but if you could mix in a little of that light like I guess you're doing, just to make the corals "pop", that'd be nice to bring out some definition.
Can you mix them up like that, or will one type of lighting overpower another and kill the effect?
Ahh, I think I get it. You have led pucks where you can just concentrate a spotlight?
[Reply]
SteveH 07:37 AM 05-26-2011
Scott -
Here's a link to the lights:
http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/#intensity

Each unit has 8 pucks in it. Each puck contains 1 warm white, 1 blue, 1 royal. Each of those colors is operated on a different channel...So you can control on/off and intensity for each color. Dependent upon intensity, you can adjust the color temp. So if you look at the tank and think its too blue, you just bump the blue intensity down a little, and bring the white up a little (so you have the same actual PAR)...Or visa versa.
[Reply]
shilala 08:51 AM 05-29-2011
I woke up in the middle of the night last night convinced I need some of those lights, Steve. I must have been dreaming about them. I don't even remotely need any. :-)

So, when I woke up, I came downstairs to have a pop tart. I grabbed my flashlight out of my drawer and saw great big sweeper tentacles coming out of the potato chip coral. That's a first time for that.
I also saw four snail looking things all hanging out together on the front glass down by the substrate. They don't appear to have shells, or they just have a flat shell like a turtle shell that blends with the whiteness of their bodies.
I saw one of them before, it came in on a piece of coral. I thought it was cool, and it was from a good source, so I let it be.
Any idea what those things are? They're about the size of a pinky fingernail (and smaller).
[Reply]
OLS 12:55 PM 05-29-2011
I thought once my chip coral was disintegrating in swirly aludge...it was only sweepers. Mine were only about 2 inches.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 12:59 PM 05-29-2011
Sounds like a stomatella Scott. Dont worry about them. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 01:05 PM 05-29-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
I thought once my chip coral was disintegrating in swirly aludge...it was only sweepers. Mine were only about 2 inches.
I fully expected mine to be in a giant knot this morning. It seems to have worked itself out. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 01:09 PM 05-29-2011
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
Sounds like a stomatella Scott. Dont worry about them. :-)
I checked pics, Mark. That's what they are.:-)
I suppose they were probably all gathered together making sexy time last night. Any babies that eat stuff I don't want in there are okay by me.

On another front, my big, fat sea hare made an appearance this morning, right after I told Lisa I hadn't seen him for a couple days.
The pic sucks, but it'll do...

[Reply]
shilala 01:13 PM 05-29-2011
As you can see, I'm not much of a cleaner. :-)
Hopefully Lisa will help me glue some critters and then I can clean the front really good. I like to leave the back and sides for the animals to take care of.
I suppose I should change some water, as well. I was overfeeding pretty bad, I just wanted the new corals to have plenty to eat. Now I have a mess again.
[Reply]
shilala 06:39 AM 05-30-2011
When I was up having my pop tart/reef check last night, I spotted a possible one of those bad anemones, the little brown ones. I always forget the name.
Whatever it is, it gets killed soon.
[Reply]
SteveH 06:54 AM 05-30-2011
Scott -
Speaking of those bad anemones (Either Apastia or Majano)...I picked up this niffty little thing last week which allows you to electrocute them...Its fun, and more effective than the other methods :-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 06:56 AM 05-30-2011
LINK? this sounds amusing.
[Reply]
shilala 07:07 AM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by SteveH:
Scott -
Speaking of those bad anemones (Either Apastia or Majano)...I picked up this niffty little thing last week which allows you to electrocute them...Its fun, and more effective than the other methods :-)
That's what I'm talkin about. :-)
I've never had a one, but with all the new corals, I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. A cattle prod would be way better than mooshing them and wiping them off with a paper towel. :-)
[Reply]
Page 42 of 53
« First < 32404142 434452 > Last »
Up