Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 92 of 270
« First < 4282909192 9394102142192 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
forgop 11:52 AM 04-10-2011
On the Virtual Weber site, I had some posting about my first pork butt and dealing with temps/tenderness. The conclusion I came to was when cooking with something bone-in like a pork butt, you perform the "bone wiggle" maneuver of sorts. Thus if the bone doesn't feel like it's just gonna slide out from the meat literally falling off the bone, keep on cooking. It seems as long as you keep cooking it slow enough, to hell with what a thermometer says as you just go by the feel of it.
[Reply]
T.G 12:13 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
On the Virtual Weber site, I had some posting about my first pork butt and dealing with temps/tenderness. The conclusion I came to was when cooking with something bone-in like a pork butt, you perform the "bone wiggle" maneuver of sorts. Thus if the bone doesn't feel like it's just gonna slide out from the meat literally falling off the bone, keep on cooking. It seems as long as you keep cooking it slow enough, to hell with what a thermometer says as you just go by the feel of it.
Kinna-sorta, this is why I asked you about 10 posts ago how it felt when you jabbed it with a fork and twisted, and what Jake was explaining about the connective tissues breaking down. :-)

You have to hit certain internal temps for the connective tissues to break down and hold there before they will melt. Meat can be made to fall apart and have bone wiggle at a lower temp before all of the connective tissues have melted and it's final texture will reflect this.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 01:00 PM 04-10-2011
so... My bacon is evidently "too smoky" for my wife. Looks like the next smoke session of bacon will use mesquite, apple, pear or plum and I will try to achieve a lighter smoke flavor for her.
[Reply]
T.G 01:10 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
so... My bacon is evidently "too smoky" for my wife. Looks like the next smoke session of bacon will use mesquite, apple, pear or plum and I will try to achieve a lighter smoke flavor for her.
Pete, IMO, mesquite can be almost as strong as hickory and plum can be pretty potent. I'd go with apple, pear or alder if you want to keep things mild, or cut your smoke time down (or both).
[Reply]
wayner123 02:59 PM 04-10-2011
I have posted this before, but I have had butts which were done perfectly and the bone was solid in the meat still. You really NEED to get a reliable thermometer. I have been wrong just going by the temp before, but it's rare. Also, you might not have been going at 220F. Those pics you posted look like the bark was a bit dried out which results mostly from a higher temp (since you stated you only let them smoke for ~8 hours).
[Reply]
wayner123 03:00 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:

Foil is kind of a controversial subject, but if you foil a butt toward the end of the cook (around 170F internal) and let it cook that way until it hits about 200F internal, then rest it, it'll practically fall apart on it's own because of the braising.
What is controversial about foiling??:-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:19 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
What is controversial about foiling??:-)
Different schools of thought on BBQing. One camp, often describing themselves as more traditional, tends to express feelings that the braising effect caused by the last few hours of cooking in foil results in an undesirable, over softened texture, some go as far as to call it cheating. Others will argue that the softer, moister texture of the more separated meat is more desirable and with the foil, the breakdown of the connective tissues happens much faster (which it does).

I've seen people debate the topic for pages and pages over days. Right up there with fat cap up or fat cap down and cello on or cello off.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 03:24 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Pete, IMO, mesquite can be almost as strong as hickory and plum can be pretty potent. I'd go with apple, pear or alder if you want to keep things mild, or cut your smoke time down (or both).
Thanks for the advice. It is easier to learn from listening than learning via dollars and meat "wasted."
[Reply]
forgop 03:26 PM 04-10-2011
I have posted this before, but I have had butts which were done perfectly and the bone was solid in the meat still. You really NEED to get a reliable thermometer. I have been wrong just going by the temp before, but it's rare. Also, you might not have been going at 220F. Those pics you posted look like the bark was a bit dried out which results mostly from a higher temp (since you stated you only let them smoke for ~8 hours).

I will get a thermometer for sure, but I think the idea is that you have to rely more on how it seems to want to pull apart more so than the temp itself.

I didn't find the bark to be dry at all. It held around 225 for the first few hours and maybe for a stretch over the last 2 hours, was probably closer to 250 because I failed to see that the water was nearly gone, explaining why I didn't get the temp to come down after almost closing the vents completely.
[Reply]
wayner123 07:21 AM 04-11-2011
I will get a thermometer for sure, but I think the idea is that you have to rely more on how it seems to want to pull apart more so than the temp itself.

I didn't find the bark to be dry at all. It held around 225 for the first few hours and maybe for a stretch over the last 2 hours, was probably closer to 250 because I failed to see that the water was nearly gone, explaining why I didn't get the temp to come down after almost closing the vents completely.
Then it's just the pictures then. What kind of rub did you use?

I can see your point on the texture of the meat. However, the old adage goes "if you're looking, it ain't cooking". By having a good thermometer, you don't have to start feeling texture until the internal temp is at least 190. Before that, you would be going by time, which can bite you.
[Reply]
GolfNut 05:45 PM 04-12-2011
Doing some spare ribs tonight. These are not my usual 6 hr ribs, but more of a "I'm hungry and ribs would be good" kind of quickie!

Have them over some Cherry smoke with one of my rubs on them. About an hour from now I'll be in Pork Rib heaven with some corn on the cob and a nice cold Heavy Horse Scotch Ale from Big Sky Brewery!
[Reply]
LooseCard 06:16 PM 04-12-2011
Looking like a good start there, Forrest!
[Reply]
GolfNut 06:23 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by LooseCard:
Looking like a good start there, Forrest!
I'm so friggin hungry right now. I keep hittin the sauce....BBQ sauce that is. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 07:34 PM 04-12-2011
Then it's just the pictures then. What kind of rub did you use?

I can see your point on the texture of the meat. However, the old adage goes "if you're looking, it ain't cooking". By having a good thermometer, you don't have to start feeling texture until the internal temp is at least 190. Before that, you would be going by time, which can bite you.
The outside was dark, but it was soft and moist to the touch. I really didn't do much of a rub and my wife did it actually. I think it was just a relatively light coating of season salt, garlic salt, and some pepper honestly. As I said, this was a last minute/hurry up and get it on the grill type of thing. Next time, I'll probably follow this method: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html
[Reply]
wayner123 07:17 AM 04-13-2011
I finally remembered to take before and after pics this time. However the after pics were after we ate, LOL.

Before (new yardbird rub, which is now my new favorite):

After:

[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:15 AM 04-13-2011
Looks killer Wayne and yep, Yardbird is the bomb. We made a bunch of money using it in comps for a while!!!
[Reply]
wayner123 08:23 AM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Looks killer Wayne and yep, Yardbird is the bomb. We made a bunch of money using it in comps for a while!!!
Thanks Brent. Coming from you, that is a HUGE compliment. Since around the first of the year yardbird (and all plowboy rubs) has been MSG free. I was hesitant to use it previously and I really liked the dizzie dust I had been using. But this yardbird made it taste just right. Also it seemed to make a better bark.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 08:39 AM 04-13-2011
I just did my first brisket, it turned out ok, needed to foil a little earlier than i did, i foiled it at 183, i was working in the yard and forgot about it, then i was like crap, ran over and said 183, wanted to wrap it at 180. O well, i also maid Burnt Ends, Moo-inkBalls, Beer Brats, Baked and Sweet Potatos, and Corn on the cob, all on the smoker...

Brisket(Flat) Sliced
Burnt Ends

Moo-Oink Balls
Beer Brats
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...t%20Meal/6.jpg
Corn, Baked/Sweet Potatos
[Reply]
rizzle 12:47 PM 04-13-2011
Thanks Brent. Coming from you, that is a HUGE compliment. Since around the first of the year yardbird (and all plowboy rubs) has been MSG free. I was hesitant to use it previously and I really liked the dizzie dust I had been using. But this yardbird made it taste just right. Also it seemed to make a better bark.
How about sodium content? I want a good rub with no salt, does one exist?
[Reply]
nofeardiver 12:55 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by rizzle:
How about sodium content? I want a good rub with no salt, does one exist?
you could make your own, with less salt? i know sometimes i use Byrons, and that crap is loaded with sodium... have tried googling low sodium rub? dont know what kind of results the rub part might give you...lol

Here is from another forum i am apart of, pretty cool stuff

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43026
[Reply]
Page 92 of 270
« First < 4282909192 9394102142192 > Last »
Up