Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 15 of 29
« First < 5131415 161725 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>nice rums?
Superbad 06:26 PM 04-26-2010
If you guys are looking for an overproof rum, El Dorado now makes a 151 proof demerara rum, that absolutely rocks!
[Reply]
Rich Yhlen 06:53 PM 04-26-2010
Sailor Jerry was actually good but after New Years they changed the recipe and now it tastes like a cheap rum
[Reply]
Mark C 07:48 PM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky:
I'm a big fan of Zaya - I like the bananas/caramel spectrum of rum

What is Ron Zacapa like - more bananas/caramel or orange/spice?

What other rums are out there that are similar to Zaya, and if possible, better than Zaya?
The only rum that tastes like oranges to me is Pyrat (both Pistol and XO). The Trinidad Zaya is heavy on the vanilla flavor, very similar to Angostura 1919 (same distillery). Zacapa is similar to Zaya in that it has a fair amount of 'sweetness', it's a full bodied rum, almost syrupy compared to Puerto Rican rums, with a darker color to match. The caramel is definitely there, but not much smoke/oak flavor.

I put Zacapa, Zaya, Centenario, and Diplomatico all in the same category. If you like one, you'll probably like the others. As far as the difference between 'new' and 'old' Zaya, I must say I've never tried the 'old', but must people who've only had the 'new' seem to enjoy it. Seems to be one of those 'you don't know what you missed' kind of deals, don't get hung up on the opinions from people still mourning the loss of the Guat Zaya.
[Reply]
Superbad 09:09 PM 04-26-2010
The old Zaya was quite good, but I am sure the Trinidad Zaya is also very good, especially if it compares with Angostura.
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 11:03 PM 04-26-2010
I have only had the Trinidad but enjoyed it very much. Will probably buy a bottle of it and the Zacapa
[Reply]
Wanger 10:44 AM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Mark C:
As far as the difference between 'new' and 'old' Zaya, I must say I've never tried the 'old', but must people who've only had the 'new' seem to enjoy it. Seems to be one of those 'you don't know what you missed' kind of deals, don't get hung up on the opinions from people still mourning the loss of the Guat Zaya.
Yes, I fully admit that I am mourning the loss of the old Zaya still.

I have tried them side by side (as has my wife, a non rum-drinker), and the difference was noticable to both of us. The main thing that I can say off the top of my head is that the Guat version is smoother and the vanilla is toned down in it, and it doesn't have the "heat" that I had noticed in the Trini version. However, as I said, the Trini version is not worth the pricepoint to me. While it is still a decent sipper, for the price I'd pay for it, I'd rather have something like the Zacapa (essentially the same price for both here in MN). Zacapa is closer to the Guat Zaya than the Trini Zaya is, IMO.
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 11:04 AM 04-27-2010
how much should I expect to pay for Guat Zaya assuming I find a bottle?

I'll probably just go with the zacapa for ease, but figured I'd check.
[Reply]
Wanger 11:41 AM 04-27-2010
how much should I expect to pay for Guat Zaya assuming I find a bottle?

I'll probably just go with the zacapa for ease, but figured I'd check.
What I'd suggest is that you buy the Zacapa, and keep your eyes open for the Zaya (as you won't likely find it). I check every liquor store I go to (assuming I haven't been there before). The out of the way places are the ones more likely to carry it. But here in MN, the standard price for Zaya (either version, to my knowledge) is about $43, give or take a few $.
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 11:48 AM 04-27-2010
Trinidad Zaya here is $27, as a reference point. I've never looked for Guatemalan Zaya, but will keep an eye out.
[Reply]
Darrell 11:50 AM 04-27-2010
Trinidad Zaya here is $27, as a reference point. I've never looked for Guatemalan Zaya, but will keep an eye out.
I looked for some Guatemalan Zaya and I found 5 bottles....

In my liquor cabinet. :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 12:49 PM 04-27-2010
I like all the Z's and Ron Centinario XX Anjos. Wish they had one of them at Costco.
[Reply]
Mark C 07:30 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Wanger:
Zacapa is closer to the Guat Zaya than the Trini Zaya is, IMO.
I'm sure you're right, they were the same distiller. The Guat Zaya got killed to increase the production of Zacapa, if I remember right it was when a new distributor picked up Zacapa. That should give you an idea just how similar they were. Likewise I find the Angostura 1919 and Trini Zaya very similar, for the same reason.

For what it's worth, "Botran" is still made by the same company as Zacapa, and Montecristo rum used to be, but I think that one got killed off also.

I might just be a little bitter that I missed out on the Guat Zaya by a few months. Went to 5 stores a few years back just before news broke that the production was moving to Trinidad. Oh well, there's plenty more rum to drink!
[Reply]
Wanger 07:26 AM 05-03-2010
At an annual memorial herf this past weekend, there were several types of rums available. We had Pampero, HC7, Diplomatico, Ron Botran, and someone had brought a bottle of HC Barrel Proof (very nice, with a "bright" flavor to it). Our friend was a rum drinker, and had introduced a lot of us to Guat Zaya before his untimely passing.

When I got home, I committed a true sin to rum...I had brought a bottle of Diplomatico with me, which didn't get opened, because there was an open one there already. I pulled it out of the trunk, but didn't realize I grabbed it by the bottom of the tin. Off popped the top and out came the bottle, landing with a crash. I wanted to cry. :-) Alcohol abuse at its worst...a brand new bottle all over my garage floor, running out into the garage. GAH!!!!!
[Reply]
Superbad 07:46 PM 05-03-2010
I picked up some Guat Zaya, not too long ago. Just check in the local liquor stores, you might get lucky.
[Reply]
Wanger 11:22 AM 05-04-2010
Originally Posted by Superbad:
I picked up some Guat Zaya, not too long ago. Just check in the local liquor stores, you might get lucky.
Been doing that for over a year and a half. LOL
[Reply]
replicant_argent 11:28 AM 05-04-2010
Been doing that for over a year and a half. LOL
:-):-):-):-):-)
so many I pretty much gave up.
[Reply]
rizzle 11:48 AM 05-04-2010
What I'd suggest is that you buy the Zacapa, and keep your eyes open for the Zaya (as you won't likely find it). I check every liquor store I go to (assuming I haven't been there before). The out of the way places are the ones more likely to carry it. But here in MN, the standard price for Zaya (either version, to my knowledge) is about $43, give or take a few $.
Wha what? Dayum. They trying to keep a brother down up there, huh?
[Reply]
replicant_argent 12:06 PM 05-04-2010
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Wha what? Dayum. They trying to keep a brother down up there, huh?
Yes, the Man officially hates us.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 02:56 PM 05-29-2010
Finally bought some Matulasem 15, it's pretty dang good. I'd put it 3rd just behind RZ23 (1st) and Zaya (2nd) as far as sipping rums go
[Reply]
icehog3 05:27 PM 05-29-2010
Originally Posted by RX2010:
Finally bought some Matulasem 15, it's pretty dang good. I'd put it 3rd just behind RZ23 (1st) and Zaya (2nd) as far as sipping rums go
Have you ever tried Ron Centenario XX, Tim?
[Reply]
Page 15 of 29
« First < 5131415 161725 > Last »
Up