Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Roku and similar devices
markem 10:45 AM 11-29-2019
Netflix has informed us that it will soon not work on our bluray player. It is great for movies we own so we aren't interested in replacing it. But this opens a possibility...

The only devices that I know about for streaming are roku and amazon's thing. I know nothing about either and am starting my research. I have a couple for questions for the masses and hope that someone can chime in with experience.

Are either of them good? I head that amazon's will do 4K. Will the roku? Will they do netflix? Also, can I get an affordable sports package without having to buy a lot of other crap?

I have fast wireless in the house and FIOS upstream, so am not worried about connectivity issues. I do not have a place for a wired connection near the tv.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!
[Reply]
jonumberone 10:53 AM 11-29-2019
Mark, do you have FIOS as your cable provider?
In Jersey I can watch Netflix from my FIOS box.
[Reply]
markem 10:56 AM 11-29-2019
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Mark, do you have FIOS as your cable provider?
In Jersey I can watch Netflix from my FIOS box.
I do, Dom. Netflix is saying that they won't support my device anymore (the bluray player that also connects to the internet). I have to buy a new device if we want to still get netflix. As long as we are going down this route, I thought I would consider more options. We haven't had real tv for several years. I don't really miss it except for some sports.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:30 AM 11-29-2019
In general the "experts" consider Roku to be the best device amongst the common ones available (Fire, Chromecast, etc.). I have a cheap Roku hooked up to my Samsung TV as the built in smart app pretty much sucks. The Roku is vastly better.

As for 4K, that is a more complex issue. Do you have a 4K TV. If not, there is really no point in caring. Do you have access to sources for 4K signals? This is growing in availability, but if you do not have a streaming service which provides it, or a 4K deck and discs you again need not care. Finally, and more subjectively, are you really discerning enough to see the difference between 4K and regular HD, and if so do you truly care? I can answer none of these questions for you, and can only pose them.

As for 4K with Roku, a quick search showed me that at least the higher-end Rokus, like the Ultra, do provide 4K for you . . . at least according to what Roku says. It should be simple enough to do more extensive research into this. Google is your friend, and Bing is good too. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 12:27 PM 11-29-2019
From Roku site:

https://www.roku.com/products/players
[Reply]
markem 12:42 PM 11-29-2019
Thank you for teaching the professor of computer science about google.

I wasn't asking where to find manufacturer information on Roku devices, I was asking about people's experience with such devices. I do appreciate you trying, though. Thanks!
[Reply]
Black Coral 12:44 PM 11-29-2019
I have the amazon with 4K and does Netflix

You have my number call and can explain how we have done sports packages on it.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:49 PM 11-29-2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gi9zFRBCIM

:-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 01:37 PM 11-29-2019
I have the Roku Streaming Stick + on 3 different TVs and it works very well. It offers Netflix tho I am not a subscriber. Personally, I use it for YoutubeTV, Amazon Prime and CBS all access. They work well.

There are many other channels, free or paid, available. There are also unofficial channels that a computer scientist may be able to find.
[Reply]
kydsid 01:41 PM 11-29-2019
We went all in on firetv devices when we cut the cable TV. I did that because of the fire recast integration. I had orders from the wife to keep a DVR for over the air stuff she likes. I could have also done any number of other DVRs but needed ease of use for wife and kids. Also decided on fire devices because of channel guide integration with some of the itv providers. We picked up Philo and Pluto. The fire allows one channel guide for all of them. Saving about $90 a month over dish this way.

Only problem I find with the fire devices is that they are sensitive to wifi signal strength. Especially the 4k stick. It'll act up with out good to excellent signal strength.
[Reply]
markem 02:10 PM 11-29-2019
Originally Posted by Black Coral:
I have the amazon with 4K and does Netflix

You have my number call and can explain how we have done sports packages on it.
Cool! Thank you, John!
[Reply]
CigarNut 04:33 PM 11-29-2019
I have had a Roku device before and been very happy. I gave the Roku to my son and picked up an Apple TV box for myself. It’s not a cheap alternative. It’s probably the most costly.

But, if you have an iPhone or iPad it integrates well with those devices. It’s also nice if you decide to get Apple TV+. You can load apps on to the Apple TV box for Netflix, Hulu, Vudo, DirecTV, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc., so you can still watch everything from one interface.

I’m not trying to tell you that it’s the best device out there, but it is well built, well maintained and easy to use.

Just my :-)
[Reply]
G G 05:08 PM 11-29-2019
I started many years ago with Roku and was happy with them for Netflix, and Hulu. About 3 years ago I switched to Firesticks and like them better. They will do Netflix of course but I don't have any subscriptions any more except AT&T TV Now, which was DirecTV Now until recently. We have a big discount on the service since we are longtime AT&T wireless customers with an unlimited plan. I also use Kodi on the Firesticks, with an app for Kodi called Exodus and Exodus Redux. You can pretty much stream almost every TV show and Movie on the planet. I reckon it's questionable whether it's legal or not. I happen to know one of our DSL providers tech's and he has always told me they could care less what I stream.
[Reply]
bonjing 06:21 PM 11-29-2019
Mark I have both the Roku ultra and the roku 3. The ultra does 4K according to my tv, meaning it activates the HDR, visually I can’t tell the difference even though I like it and think it makes a difference. I have no experience with Apple TV but I do have an older fire stick. The roku seems to process much faster. Down side is if you have a Dolby atmos system Netflix does not process through it yet. But it does pass activate my atmos through amazon and Disney movies.

The only sports app I downloaded on the Roku was nbcbayarea to watch the Warriors.

If you want I have a refurb Roku 3 thats just sitting at home if you want to play with it to see if you like it. Just drop me a pm it’s not a roku stick it’s the boxy style one.
[Reply]
markem 07:29 PM 11-29-2019
Thank you, Greg, Michael, and Greg! That is just the sort of information that I am looking for. I'd love to borrow the Roku 3, Greg. I'll send you a PM!
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 07:41 PM 11-29-2019
If you go amazon, don’t get the stick. Get the more expensive one. The stick is slow and frustrating.
[Reply]
markem 07:46 PM 11-29-2019
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
If you go amazon, don’t get the stick. Get the more expensive one. The stick is slow and frustrating.
Thank you. I've read a few statements like this today on review sites as well.
[Reply]
G G 07:06 PM 11-30-2019
Originally Posted by markem:
Thank you. I've read a few statements like this today on review sites as well.
I have the firestick 4k, and don't really have any issues with it being slow. But then again I had the generation before that too and it didn't give me any problems. I only have 100 mbps down and 10 mbps up, so maybe I am just lucky.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:53 AM 12-02-2019
I have an nVidia Shield and it's really good. A little more expensive than some of the other options, but still quite cheap. Might as well go for the more powerful ones. Apple TV is also quite recommended.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 04:05 PM 12-04-2019
We have 2 roku players. One is the 4k snazzy one we keep in our living room for all our streaming stuff. LOVE it. Have had amazon fire sticks and used our UHD bluray player for streaming. This is our preferred method.

We also have one of the entry level roku sticks in our guest house, which we rent out as an Airbnb. No complaints from folks yet.

BIG Roku fan!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up