Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 12 of 70
« First < 2101112 13142262 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
kenstogie 06:41 PM 05-06-2010
Stuck fermentation what to do? So I am brewing a wheat stout and been in the primary for a week. OG 1.060. Current Grav is 1.030 but shouldn't have dropped more? It didn't seem to bubble much like usual brews. I used liq Ale yeast. I took a quik taste, it wasn't bad and had what I would describe as a fizz to it. Does this mean it's still fermenting?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
landhoney 11:43 AM 05-07-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Stuck fermentation what to do? So I am brewing a wheat stout and been in the primary for a week. OG 1.060. Current Grav is 1.030 but shouldn't have dropped more? It didn't seem to bubble much like usual brews. I used liq Ale yeast. I took a quik taste, it wasn't bad and had what I would describe as a fizz to it. Does this mean it's still fermenting?
Posted via Mobile Device
You're going to have to give some details of the recipe to make a better determination, but I would say just give it some more time, one week is not that long. The fizz is dissolved CO2 which is and indication that it has been fermenting recently or currently, even after the beer is done fermenting though there will still be some dissolved CO2 in the beer. I think you just need to wait a while longer, it's hard to make hard and fast rules about homebrewing, like "primary fermentation will be done in a week, two weeks in secondary and three weeks to bottle carb. " Doesn't always work exactly like that. :-) Let's see the recipe and keep us updated, but don't check the gravity every day, wait at least a few before trying again, then if it is still at 1.030 we can look for a fix.
[Reply]
kenstogie 02:04 PM 05-07-2010
You are probably right. It always seems to work out. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Scimmia 02:23 PM 05-07-2010
Liquid yeast, did you make a starter? How fresh was it? How well did you aerate? It's possible it ran out of steam. What yeast are we talking about, anyway?
[Reply]
kaisersozei 03:39 PM 05-07-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
You're going to have to give some details of the recipe to make a better determination, but I would say just give it some more time, one week is not that long. The fizz is dissolved CO2 which is and indication that it has been fermenting recently or currently, even after the beer is done fermenting though there will still be some dissolved CO2 in the beer. I think you just need to wait a while longer, it's hard to make hard and fast rules about homebrewing, like "primary fermentation will be done in a week, two weeks in secondary and three weeks to bottle carb. " Doesn't always work exactly like that. :-) Let's see the recipe and keep us updated, but don't check the gravity every day, wait at least a few before trying again, then if it is still at 1.030 we can look for a fix.
:-) I'd leave it alone for awhile. It may sneak CO2 bubbles out of the airlock when you're not looking :-)
[Reply]
ODLS1 04:10 PM 05-08-2010
Yep. Definitely leave it for a couple more weeks. If it's still stuck, dump it on to a yeast cake of a bigger beer. Let that sit for a couple weeks. If it's still stuck use some Amalyse Enzyme.
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:32 AM 05-10-2010
I was just wondering what you guys are brewing, or planning to brew, for the colder autumn and winter months. I've never brewed a heavy gravity beer that needs a long time in secondary, but am thinking of doing something like an imperial stout or porter with the additions of oak, vanilla and bourbon. Midwest has an interesting kit, their Power Packed Porter, wghich I may do with my additions, or something like Denny's Vanilla Bourbon porter.

What will you be brewing for the colder months?
[Reply]
landhoney 12:09 PM 05-10-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
What will you be brewing for the colder months?
Doesn't get that cold here, but I still like to brew big beers.....

Barleywine (bourbon barrel aged)
'Dark' Saison (trying to 'perfect' a Saison for each season, a'la Fantome)
Smoked Wee Heavy (a'la Hair of the Dog Adam -also bourbon barrel aged)
[Reply]
Mikey202 01:49 PM 05-13-2010
Just bought a brew kit. Got a Dark and Stormy Night Stout. I'm on vacation next week, so that's what I'm going to do one of the days.
I have one question.... the yeast packet I have is a pack, that you bust a bubble inside. I'm used to using yeast in a tube (White Labs). This packet that I have, says that I have to make a starter, ect. Seems like alot of extra work. Can I just activate the yeast pack and then just add it to the wort when the time comes to add the yeast, or do I have to make a starter first?
[Reply]
landhoney 02:47 PM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by Mikey202:
Just bought a brew kit. Got a Dark and Stormy Night Stout. I'm on vacation next week, so that's what I'm going to do one of the days.
I have one question.... the yeast packet I have is a pack, that you bust a bubble inside. I'm used to using yeast in a tube (White Labs). This packet that I have, says that I have to make a starter, ect. Seems like alot of extra work. Can I just activate the yeast pack and then just add it to the wort when the time comes to add the yeast, or do I have to make a starter first?
It depends on the original gravity of the beer (what is yours?), and how fresh the yeast is really. But the short answer is that yes you can just smack it and pitch it into the wort. If the gravity of the beer is high, or the yeast is not that fresh making a starter is a good idea. Also, once you make a starter or two it's easy, I make one for just about every batch. Pitching the right amount of yeast will make your beer better, sometimes a 'smack pack' is enough, but other times not (like in high gravity beers or when the yeast is not fresh)

And actually there are two types of Wyeast packs; Activators and Propagators, which do you have? If it's a Propagator Pack then you really should make a starter, they are designed with a lower active cell count to make a starter with, the Activators are designed to be pitched into lower gravity beers without a starter (but should use a starter in the above instances).
[Reply]
kenstogie 03:46 PM 05-13-2010
Well called Austin home brew and it is indeed "stuck". Real friendly great knowledgable guy to deal with explained what to do. Oxygenate and add a yeast fuel. He also explained that my OG (1.060). was a touch high for the ueast just to dump in there. He said 2 things will help improve your beer considerbly
1-consistant accurate temp
2-oxygenating (not aerating per se)

I think that's thje jist I took notes but don't have them here.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
BlackDog 06:06 PM 05-13-2010
Here it is! My very first glass of homebrewed beer! :-)

[Reply]
leasingthisspace 06:26 PM 05-13-2010
Looks good to me. I am sure it tasted great.
[Reply]
kenstogie 06:52 AM 05-14-2010

NICE. I wish everyone brewed there own beer and no one bought that watery stuff.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 01:01 PM 05-15-2010
How was it?!
[Reply]
Mikey202 05:54 PM 05-15-2010
It depends on the original gravity of the beer (what is yours?), and how fresh the yeast is really. But the short answer is that yes you can just smack it and pitch it into the wort. If the gravity of the beer is high, or the yeast is not that fresh making a starter is a good idea. Also, once you make a starter or two it's easy, I make one for just about every batch. Pitching the right amount of yeast will make your beer better, sometimes a 'smack pack' is enough, but other times not (like in high gravity beers or when the yeast is not fresh)

And actually there are two types of Wyeast packs; Activators and Propagators, which do you have? If it's a Propagator Pack then you really should make a starter, they are designed with a lower active cell count to make a starter with, the Activators are designed to be pitched into lower gravity beers without a starter (but should use a starter in the above instances).
It's a Wyeast Lab Propagator. Do I just use some of the malt extract for the starter?
[Reply]
landhoney 08:45 AM 05-17-2010
Originally Posted by Mikey202:
It's a Wyeast Lab Propagator. Do I just use some of the malt extract for the starter?
Yep, around 1/2 a cup dry malt extract in two cups of water should do it. Just do a search online for any and all instructions you may need, but you're basically just making a tiny little batch of un-hopped beer for the yeast to grow in. :-) Good luck.
[Reply]
kenstogie 09:10 AM 05-17-2010
Brewing/herfing short anecdote...

Was at Birthday herf sharing some Homebrew with an individual (and anyone else that wanted one) who owns a company or two and he was (i think) joking when he said
"tell your current job to go f$%k off, and start a brew house, I'll back it. No I'm serious." Aint no way I a quitting the good gig I got now but that compliment was sure nice. It was just a Dunkelwiezen. :-)
[Reply]
Mikey202 12:10 PM 05-17-2010
Yep, around 1/2 a cup dry malt extract in two cups of water should do it. Just do a search online for any and all instructions you may need, but you're basically just making a tiny little batch of un-hopped beer for the yeast to grow in. :-) Good luck.
Thanks.
[Reply]
Scimmia 12:51 PM 05-17-2010
A 1 pint starter is nowhere near enough to grow up enough yeast from a Propagator. That would barely be enough to grow up to the point of the Activator, and that's assuming optimal oxygenation. I would probably be doing closer to a 2 liter starter, and I use a stirplate.

Anyone using liquid yeast cultures should really read up on starters and pitching rates. There's a great article here: http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
[Reply]
Page 12 of 70
« First < 2101112 13142262 > Last »
Up