Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Troops Room>Elmendorf AFB
DrDubzz 07:48 PM 02-04-2013
Or JBER, found out I'm headed up there this summer (orders pending a checklist of memos and stuff getting completed)

Anyone been to Elmendorf/Fort Richardson?
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:40 AM 02-05-2013
I've been to Fort Richardson numerous times...very cold!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
billybarue 11:16 AM 02-05-2013
my brother flew F-15's there and my sister was a flight nurse there as well. Stayed with my bro for a couple weeks one summer and I have done multiple exercises out of there. It's beautiful in the winter - in its own way. But you are lucky to be going in the summer. If you want cold - try Eileson in January. That is the coldest I've ever seen, I think it was average about -20 for the time I was there. Down around Anchorage get out as much as you can. In a word it is stunning. Truly seems to go on forever. I have flown in there more times than I can remember and each time I do it is like I have never seen it before. It is that overwhelming and stunning when you fly in.

Get out and catch some fish. See what salmon are running while you are there. Go out and catch some Halibut and try the Salmon Shark. I'm not big on shark. Mako's OK, but salmon shark is excellent, IMO. Favorite restaurant is: http://www.simonandseaforts.com/. It's a little pricey, but everything is up there. Get the Halibut cheeks if they're on the menu. If you just want to bring some fish back for the family go to 10th and M seafood. They'll get it packed up for you on dry ice. Or better prices at Costco and pack it yourself.

They've got the best on base outdoor rec store I've ever seen. If you are into anything outdoors, especially guns, you can pick up some great deals right on base.

Enjoy it!
[Reply]
DrDubzz 05:31 PM 02-08-2013
Sounds awesome, I'm taking fly fishing gear and a rifle or two with me, hoping to be outdoors as much as possible. We'll be there 3 years, me, wife, 2 year old, 1 yer old, two dogs. Should be fun. Summer weather should be conducive to getting some bowls in the pipe too :-)

Thanks for the info Billy, I'm not much of a fish eater, but my wife is, so I plan to learn how to clean and cook at least some of what I catch. I need a good camera too
[Reply]
DrDubzz 09:50 PM 06-09-2013
Rolling out tuesday morning, driving out to the coast and then up through BC, 5000 total miles.

Should be quite the trip
[Reply]
equetefue 08:13 AM 06-10-2013
My buddy just PCS'ed from there a few months back. Hated it at first but apparently lots of outdoor stuff to do there so he love it at the end and was super upset when they transferred him out to Cannon in NM.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 10:27 PM 08-16-2013
haha, Clovis, NM is the armpit of the country, truly an awful place to live. We've been up here for 6-7 weeks now and love it. My wife has already asked me to get out after my tour so we can stay here :-) (not happening)

Give your friend my condolences
[Reply]
DrDubzz 01:46 AM 08-03-2015
BTW - been here two years and wish I never had to leave
[Reply]
icehog3 10:06 AM 08-03-2015
Good to "see" you, Tim...and thank you for your Service! :-)
[Reply]
CRIMPS 11:03 AM 08-03-2015
Best fishing in the world.

Get the entire family out. There are plenty of places to go with the whole family and camp and fish and hike around. Go camp in and around Hatcher Pass, which is an hour from you.

It's already getting a little late in the season, but there are still plenty of trout to catch and there are still some silvers around I am betting.

Enjoy it!
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:35 PM 08-03-2015
I spent most of my USAF career trying to get up there but Uncle Sam for some reason needed me to stay in deserts. Enjoy it!
[Reply]
RWhisenand 08:46 PM 08-03-2015
Glad you like it! I did my USAF time between Itatly and Colorado Springs. Never made up there, but I never complain about where I was stationed either!
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:37 AM 08-04-2015
Originally Posted by RWhisenand:
Glad you like it! I did my USAF time between Itatly and Colorado Springs. Never made up there, but I never complain about where I was stationed either!
Yeah, any time I feel like *****ing about a particular duty station I remind myself that in spite of the bad, Uncle Sam did let me spend a total of nine years in Germany over my quarter century serving. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:57 AM 08-04-2015
If Alaska gets hot and grows coral reefs, I'm goin.
Otherwise I'm gonna get as far away as possible and watch Alaska on PBS.
But I grew up in the mountains on great fishing and hunting, so I'm spoiled.
It's gorgeous up there. :-)
[Reply]
Up