Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Entertainment>Sherlock Holmes: The Movie
Darrell 10:52 AM 05-22-2009
The new trailer is up on Apple.com, Robert Downey Jr. is Holmes and Jude Law is Watson. It looks very promising!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/sherlockholmes/

Discuss?
[Reply]
ActionAndy 10:57 AM 05-22-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
The new trailer is up on Apple.com, Robert Downey Jr. is Holmes and Jude Law is Watson. It looks very promising!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/sherlockholmes/

Discuss?
I think it's going to be a really cool movie. I don't know how the tone will compare to traditional Holmes. My mother is obsessed with this character, and so I grew up with all the different versions on my television. I have to say that I always found them to be pretty boring. What this means is that, being a Guy Ritchie fan, this is probably the best way for me to actually connect with the character. However, people like my mom will probably wonder why it's been so stylized.

I think from the trailer we can tell that Ritchie has made more of a standard adventure movie, and less of a Ritchie movie. If you have seen his movies you know how strange/unique his style is. I see from the clip that he's still going with hyper-slow punches, but I get the feeling it will still be a bit more...normal?

Looking forward to it. RDJ rarely screws up...On screen.
[Reply]
Darrell 10:58 AM 05-22-2009
As I understand Sherlock Holmes was quite a fan of coke, works out well for RDJ he probably brought his own. :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:00 AM 05-22-2009
I can't wait...looks like it will be a good movie.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:53 AM 05-26-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
As I understand Sherlock Holmes was quite a fan of coke, works out well for RDJ he probably brought his own. :-)
Very fitting.

My parents were in London while they were filming this movie. They saw a couple of the old taxis/carriages and people in costume. Not much else.
[Reply]
MadAl 10:23 AM 05-29-2009
I could easily see the roles reversed with Law as Holmes. Saw a clip with Downey getting kicked in the groin. Made me wonder how good it will be if that's the best they can do (and they usually make clips of the best scenes).
[Reply]
Starscream 10:41 AM 05-29-2009
Tim Burton should make a Sherlock Holmes movie.
[Reply]
Darrell 07:41 PM 01-02-2010
Today I finally got to see the long anticipated (at least for me) Guy Ritchie release of Sherlock Holmes. As many know Sherlock Holmes is a classic series of stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The film starred Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes and Jude Law as his trusty associate / babysitter Dr. Watson.

Lord Blackwood is back from the grave and it’s up to Holmes and Watson to figure out why and how. Blackwood and his secret organization will do anything to make sure Sherlock Holmes and the good Doctor fail.

First off RDJ and Jude Law were top notch in this movie. In retrospect I cannot think of anyone who I’d rather have seen as Sherlock Holmes and Jude Law was a brilliant Dr. Watson. While the characters were not 100% true to the books, they were still very enjoyable and delivered many laughs. Several critics were unhappy with the inaccuracy of the characters, but they failed to realize that Guy Ritchie never claimed this was an accurate page for page depiction of the books.

The story was solid, but at times it was a bit slow. It would slow way down and then some great action would happen and it would slow down again. I typically like Guy Ritchie but I could not make it through his last movie, RockNRolla so naturally I was glad that I enjoyed this one. Really my main beef was how slow the movie got at times and I felt it was a little long.

Overall, I give Sherlock Holmes 4 out of 5. It got knocked down because of the slow parts. I’m glad that the story ended and left it open for a sequel. Especially considering Holmes arch nemesis Professor Moriarity had a part in the film. I cannot wait to see where the next one takes this great acting duo.
[Reply]
hotreds 07:42 PM 01-02-2010
Look forward to seeing this next week.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:02 PM 01-02-2010
Thanks for the review, Mean D.:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 09:38 PM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Thanks for the review, Mean D.:-)
My pleasure, my friend.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:40 PM 01-02-2010
I really want to see this movie. ALl the reviews I had heard are good but they all mention that he moved away form the true Holmes of deduction and more action. That is understandable though with todays lack of attention span.
[Reply]
s15driftking 09:46 PM 01-02-2010
I will check it out! I bever see movies in theatres. I might just get the rip.
[Reply]
htown 06:55 AM 01-03-2010
Saw it with the wife and we both liked it.
[Reply]
Cigargal 11:15 AM 01-03-2010
Slow parts? I didn't find anything slow about this movie. I loved it. I have been a Holmes fan since I was a kid in the 50's. I cut my teeth on Basil Rathbone so I can dig a cerebral Sherlock, but the RDJ Holmes was refreshing and gripping. The storyline was great and the editing was brilliant-what can I say. I give it 5 stars.
[Reply]
Darrell 11:18 AM 01-03-2010
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
Slow parts? I didn't find anything slow about this movie.
Opinions vary. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 11:44 AM 01-03-2010
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
Slow parts? I didn't find anything slow about this movie. I loved it. I have been a Holmes fan since I was a kid in the 50's. I cut my teeth on Basil Rathbone so I can dig a cerebral Sherlock, but the RDJ Holmes was refreshing and gripping. The storyline was great and the editing was brilliant-what can I say. I give it 5 stars.
Thanks, Marianne. Nancy and I are looking forward to this movie as well. I've read (and am currently re-reading) the complete works of Doyle.
[Reply]
longknocker 11:49 AM 01-03-2010
Thanks For The Review, Mean D!:-) Looks Like I Might Have To See This One On The Big Screen!:-)
[Reply]
CasaDooley 12:49 PM 01-03-2010
Watched it this weekend and give it 2 big :-):-)! A great adult movie!
[Reply]
Darrell 01:11 PM 01-03-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I've read (and am currently re-reading) the complete works of Doyle.
Golf clap? :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up