Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 22 of 70
« First < 12202122 232432 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
kaisersozei 02:12 PM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
I did a nice, tame little RIS on 02-JAN. :-)

OG was 1.115 when I pitched.

I'm experimenting with White Labs WLP099 this time to see how it does.
Fermenting like a ***** right now at 59°F.
My calcs say this yeast is capable of taking it all the way down to 1.011!
It may end up being a 13.7% ABV monster if it does!
:-)

Holy crap, that's a lot of specialty malt!

I've never used this yeast, interesting strain. Did you have to add any nutrients or do anything different when you pitched to avoid a stuck fermentation?
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 02:57 PM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
:-)

Holy crap, that's a lot of specialty malt!

I've never used this yeast, interesting strain. Did you have to add any nutrients or do anything different when you pitched to avoid a stuck fermentation?
Yeah, I took the last competition note of "not malty enough" seriously.

I aerated like there was no tomorrow and added slightly more nutrient than I normally do.

I was worried at first (like I always do) 'cause it took a full 48 hours before any visible signs of fermentation arrived.
The White Labs site says to add wort in steps with the higher gravity coming after fermentation has begun, but I just pitched.
Hell, I didn't even make a starter. I do, however , have an inline aerator in my pump line that I use to transfer from the kettle to the carboy. It was a nice, frothy transfer.... looked yummy!:-)
I also aerated again after transfer.

I didn't even eff around with this one either... the blow off went on right away... and within 6 hours of visible fermentation it was using it!
[Reply]
Springsman 03:01 PM 01-05-2011
I haven't brewed in 10 years...but just recently came across all my stuff in the basement...I've got it all up into the kitchen now trying to sanitize it all...much to my wife's chagrin... :-) I've got some reading here to do it looks like 22 pages worth lol.
[Reply]
ODLS1 06:47 PM 01-05-2011
DIPA is about to go in the fermenter.

Then:

Black IIPA
IPA
Extra Stout
Irish Red
Witbier
Kentucky Common

Then a massive RIS. Then a bunch of sours/lambics. Plan to blend a Gueze in a few years. Going to replicate everything as close as possible. Oak dowels with a surface area to liquid volume ratio similar to what the big oak barrel fermenters are. I'm going to try different fermentations too. One will be cherries added for spontaneous fermentation. I'm pretty pumped. Too bad they won't be ready for a looong time.

Then a Belgian Dark Strong when it gets warmer, since I want to start at 68*F and ramp up to 84*F and then back down. Also an Imperial Smoked Porter and Saison at some point. Soooooo much to brew.

Also I just helped my girl friend brew a Belgian Golden Strong Ale that is bubbling away like crazy in my room. I'm kind of excited to try it. Used a tiny bit of late hop additions of Challenger and Centennial - not to style, but who gives a ****. Sounds good to us. Belgian Strong Ale yeast, trying to keep it at 70*F.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 07:22 AM 01-06-2011
I brewed a very hoppy Imperial Winter Ale last night
[Reply]
hammondc 02:57 PM 01-16-2011
Wooooooop! First brew is in process. just dropped my grain bag in @ 160*.

It is a English Brown Ale.
[Reply]
Tristan 07:52 PM 01-17-2011
Just did a Classic American Pilsner on Friday, a Schwartzbier the Monday before and a APA the Wednesday before that which is waiting for dry hops. Transfered my Cal Common from dry hop to the keg today and have a Helles Bock that is at the end of diacetyl rest to keg in the next few days.

I promised my wife I wouldn't brew again this month. :-)

I love home brew!
[Reply]
rack04 10:41 AM 01-19-2011
5.25 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen.
[Reply]
cricky101 09:19 AM 01-24-2011
Surly Furious extract clone went into the fermenter on Saturday. Nearly a full-boil on the stove. Definitely need to look into a wort chiller if I'm going to keep boiling the larger volume of water ...

Unfortunately I didn't find out until after that going from the partial boil to full boil, I should have reduced the amount of bittering hops included in the kit, but hopefully it will be OK.
[Reply]
rack04 09:46 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by cricky101:
Surly Furious extract clone went into the fermenter on Saturday. Nearly a full-boil on the stove. Definitely need to look into a wort chiller if I'm going to keep boiling the larger volume of water ...

Unfortunately I didn't find out until after that going from the partial boil to full boil, I should have reduced the amount of bittering hops included in the kit, but hopefully it will be OK.
I just completed a wort chiller. I found 50' of 3/8" ACR cooper at the metal scrap yard for $27. I will be using a submersible pump to recirculate ice water. I'm working on a stir plate for my yeast starters.

[Reply]
awsmith4 02:01 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by rack04:
I just completed a wort chiller. I found 50' of 3/8" ACR cooper at the metal scrap yard for $27. I will be using a submersible pump to recirculate ice water. I'm working on a stir plate for my yeast starters.

I need one of those, luckily (or unluckily depending how you look at it) it was 27* the first time Matt and I brewed so cooling down with the ice in a bucket took only like 30mins. While that was fine and all, I don't think that I'll only be brewing in the winter. Great idea to check the scrap yards, I have three or four near me that I'll call.

BTW I liked your post at HBT, I made many of the same observations after our first brew day.
[Reply]
rack04 03:24 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I need one of those, luckily (or unluckily depending how you look at it) it was 27* the first time Matt and I brewed so cooling down with the ice in a bucket took only like 30mins. While that was fine and all, I don't think that I'll only be brewing in the winter. Great idea to check the scrap yards, I have three or four near me that I'll call.

BTW I liked your post at HBT, I made many of the same observations after our first brew day.
Since I posted about my observations I have had many more. Always learning and spending more money.

The 50' roll of 3/8" weighed 6 pounds and their price was $4.50/pound.

BTW, the reason I left the supply side a little longer was because I wanted to use the "slinky" like behavior of the coil to stir the wort while keeping the lid on reducing the chances of contamination. I'm still trying to find a good way to switch between hose fitting and recirculating pump since I don't want to be recirculating ice water when the wort temperature is still high.
[Reply]
b0rderman 04:02 PM 01-24-2011
I don't want to be recirculating ice water when the wort temperature is still high.
Level 1 Noob here.

Why is this? Wort can be cooled too rapidly? Cold break issues?

Thanks

Stefan
[Reply]
rack04 04:33 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by b0rderman:
Level 1 Noob here.

Why is this? Wort can be cooled too rapidly? Cold break issues?

Thanks

Stefan
You're thinking too much. :-) My only reason is because I would have to purchase large amounts of ice.
[Reply]
b0rderman 04:54 PM 01-24-2011
Purchase wholesale? Crushed? Blocked? Cash? Credit?
[Reply]
rack04 07:24 PM 01-24-2011
Does anyone have a 9V-12V AC/DC wall power adapter laying around collecting dust? If so, I could really use it for a stir plate I'm building. I have looked high and low around my house and I can't find one that I'm not actually using.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:06 PM 01-24-2011
Does anyone have a 9V-12V AC/DC wall power adapter laying around collecting dust? If so, I could really use it for a stir plate I'm building. I have looked high and low around my house and I can't find one that I'm not actually using.
Sorry, but I had to chuckle here... You are now 'officially' assholes and elbows tumbling full speed down this slope! :-)
[Reply]
rack04 08:23 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
Sorry, but I had to chuckle here... You are now 'officially' assholes and elbows tumbling full speed down this slope! :-)
My wife isn't smiling. :-) :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:29 PM 01-24-2011
My wife isn't smiling. :-) :-)
If she's anything like mine (God Help You), I have some advice to keep her happy...
Wit Beer, Berliner Weisse, and Light Lager...
Yeah, difficult women demand difficult beer... go figure! :-)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:30 PM 01-24-2011
I got you covered. PM Sent
[Reply]
Page 22 of 70
« First < 12202122 232432 > Last »
Up