Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 10 of 70
« First < 8910 11122060 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
BlackDog 08:08 PM 04-07-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Hopefully neither of the last two compromised the sanitation of the wort. I had a strong yeast starter, so hopefully the yeast will get cranked up quickly and knock out any nasties that may have gotten into the wort.
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Warren: #3 would be the only thing that might cause me some concern, but not really all that much. Quick fermentation should ease your anxiety!
The fermentation was underway nicely when I got home from work this evening. I set the bucket up with a blow-off tube into a gallon water jug, and I counted 32 bubbles in 30 seconds. It's really chugging along. The lid is even "domed" a bit from the pressure in the bucket. Hopefully the strong fermentation has aleviated any sanitation problems.
[Reply]
BlackDog 11:44 AM 04-17-2010
I just racked my first batch over to secondary. It's the Midwest Liberty Cream Ale extract kit, with the addition of 1 lb of flaked corn. I used Safale US 05 yeast. It was in primary for 2 weeks at about 67 degrees, and had a strong fermentation for the first few days. There is about an inch of gray creamy yeast left in the primary bucket. The beer tastes OK; like flat, thin beer, maybe a little hefe weizen-ish. If I'm reading it right, the gravity is 1.10.

Does everything look OK? I was expecting it to be much clearer than this by now.
Attached: Libcreamale.JPG (46.4 KB) 
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 12:58 PM 04-17-2010
Sounds like you did everything right. Just give it time and be patient!
[Reply]
Salvelinus 06:50 PM 04-17-2010
Started a fat tire clone last night. First attempt at all-grain. Need to get a better setup if I am going to continue to do that. Bubbling away this morning though.... it'll be beer.
[Reply]
kenstogie 08:04 PM 04-17-2010
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
Started a fat tire clone last night. First attempt at all-grain. Need to get a better setup if I am going to continue to do that. Bubbling away this morning though.... it'll be beer.
Even a mediocre home brew is usually better than a store bought beer. :-)
[Reply]
landhoney 08:59 AM 04-19-2010
Got my "keggle" cut weekend before last, so the last two batches have been 7.5 gallons instead of 5 gallons as I now have the capacity. Going to try a full 10 gallon batch sometime soon.
Weekend before last was a Belgian Quad, this past weekend was 'English Red' (not really a style, but the beer is a mix of a porter and a red brewed with an English Ale yeast).

BTW, anybody interested in doing a Cigar Asylum beer? We could all brew the same recipe and compare notes. Maybe a clone of something from Cigar City Brewing? Something that would pair well with a cigar?
[Reply]
newcigarz 09:04 AM 04-19-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:

BTW, anybody interested in doing a Cigar Asylum beer? We could all brew the same recipe and compare notes. Maybe a clone of something from Cigar City Brewing? Something that would pair well with a cigar?
You know I don't brew, but I am available for taste tests. :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:05 AM 04-19-2010

Absolutely!

I haven't started brewing yet, but plan to very soon and I will have plenty to share for Shack if all goes according to the grand scheme.
[Reply]
ODLS1 12:06 AM 04-21-2010
Got my "keggle" cut weekend before last, so the last two batches have been 7.5 gallons instead of 5 gallons as I now have the capacity. Going to try a full 10 gallon batch sometime soon.
Weekend before last was a Belgian Quad, this past weekend was 'English Red' (not really a style, but the beer is a mix of a porter and a red brewed with an English Ale yeast).

I'm down, although there is a beer that can go with anything. I still need to cut my keg for 10gal batches. I've only had Cigar City Jai Alai but it was damn good. All of their beers rate great. I guess it depends what kind of cigar we want to pair it with. I'm still a somewhat new cigar smoker, but good maduros and big stouts are amazing together.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:02 AM 04-21-2010
Im going to keg my Toasted Coconut Porter tonight and dry hop my Pale Ale with Simcoe, Amarillo & Centenial hops
[Reply]
kenstogie 01:00 PM 04-21-2010
It's a definate possibility. :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 02:40 PM 04-22-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
I just racked my first batch over to secondary. It's the Midwest Liberty Cream Ale extract kit, with the addition of 1 lb of flaked corn. I used Safale US 05 yeast. It was in primary for 2 weeks at about 67 degrees, and had a strong fermentation for the first few days. There is about an inch of gray creamy yeast left in the primary bucket. The beer tastes OK; like flat, thin beer, maybe a little hefe weizen-ish. If I'm reading it right, the gravity is 1.10.

Does everything look OK? I was expecting it to be much clearer than this by now.
Hmm. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I've never had a beer look like that in the secondary. On the other hand, I've never used flaked corn, so that might have something to do with it. :-) In any event, I wouldn't worry about it.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:53 PM 04-25-2010
I started a Belgian wheat tonight with coriander and orange peel
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:44 AM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Hmm. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I've never had a beer look like that in the secondary. On the other hand, I've never used flaked corn, so that might have something to do with it. :-) In any event, I wouldn't worry about it.
After doing some reading, I believe that when I added the corn, there were not enough enzymes from the malt to convert the corn starches into fermentable sugars. Last week I added some amylase enzyme and a new yeast starter. The amylase enzyme converts starches to sugar. The wort looks a lot better now. Still hazy, but not as cloudy as that picture. I may rack it over to a clean carboy and add some Biofine to help clear it further before I bottle it.
[Reply]
landhoney 08:01 AM 04-26-2010
'Dark' Saison is bubbling away, just a standard saison grain bill with .5 lbs Special B, and 1 lbs D2 - Dark Belgian Candi Syrup added to darken it up and add some raisin/toffee flavors. Bottled an IPA/PA and Saison as well.

And just keeping track in case anyone else is interested:
The following people may be interested in brewing a 'Cigar Asylum' beer:
kenstogie
ODLS1
St. Lou Stu
[Reply]
kenstogie 08:32 AM 04-26-2010
Brewed my Dunkelwiezen yesterday, I hope the Fermentation takes. I fear I may have pitched the yeast at to high a temp. Directions said drop the temp to 80 from boiling in 20 mins. Don't know how that's going to happen without a wortchiller. It was below 90 but above 80 so I hope I didn't kill it. Directions on the Yeast (whitelabs hefe WLP300) say 75.

If I did kill it I will just go buy another tube.

Roger that on the Asylum beer.
[Reply]
Scimmia 08:48 AM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Brewed my Dunkelwiezen yesterday, I hope the Fermentation takes. I fear I may have pitched the yeast at to high a temp. Directions said drop the temp to 80 from boiling in 20 mins. Don't know how that's going to happen without a wortchiller. It was below 90 but above 80 so I hope I didn't kill it. Directions on the Yeast (whitelabs hefe WLP300) say 75.
You didn't kill the yeast. We keep the temps down to avoid unwanted byproducts, but most yeast is very happy at temps up to 100F. You shouldn't start killing it until you're above 110F or so, and even then very slowly. The problem you may run into is the yeast going dormant. A large temp drop will tend to make the yeast flocculate, even if you're just dropping it to the recommended range. Just get it back into suspension and you should be fine.

I'd be in for a Cigar Asylum beer, depending on the style.
[Reply]
landhoney 09:23 AM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by Scimmia:
You didn't kill the yeast. We keep the temps down to avoid unwanted byproducts, but most yeast is very happy at temps up to 100F. You shouldn't start killing it until you're above 110F or so, and even then very slowly. The problem you may run into is the yeast going dormant. A large temp drop will tend to make the yeast flocculate, even if you're just dropping it to the recommended range. Just get it back into suspension and you should be fine.

:-)

And just keeping track in case anyone else is interested:
The following people may be interested in brewing a 'Cigar Asylum' beer:
landhoney
kenstogie
ODLS1
St. Lou Stu
Scimmia

We can all provide input on the style and recipe, hopefully there's at least one style we can all agree on and enjoy. :-) I'm going to wait a little longer and see if anyone else is interested and then maybe start a new thread. And the recipe will be for AG, PM, and extract brewers, so everyone can brew it.
[Reply]
kenstogie 09:53 AM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by Scimmia:

Cool Thanks! I know your supposed to refrig your yeast (which I do) but how long of a life does it have at room temp? I typically take it out an hour or two early but some direction say the night before. What if you couldn't get to brewing for a couple days?
[Reply]
Scimmia 10:14 AM 04-26-2010
I've never seen any numbers for liquid cultures, so I don't know. I usually let mine sit for ~3 hours before pitching it into my starter. I cold crash my starters, so that usually sits out for ~5 hrs while I make the beer.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 70
« First < 8910 11122060 > Last »
Up