Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 79 of 138
« First < 2969777879 808189129 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
SteelCityBoy 07:03 AM 11-05-2011
I am seeing on this thread some questions about whether or not to keep cigars that come without cellophane naked or to put them in single bags inside your humi. I have been wondering whether it matters or not. I have my humi right around 67% and have been leaving my sticks that came unwrapped just the way they are. Does keeping them in single baggies help? The sticks in question are my LP9's. They came unwrapped and I don't want to cause any harm at all. Any feedback is appreciated.
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:17 AM 11-05-2011
Keep them as they come Ken and handle accordingly.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:51 AM 11-05-2011
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
:-)

Dave is wise!
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 08:57 AM 11-05-2011
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
:-)

Dave is wise!
Thanks guys! That is what I thought but being pretty new at this stuff I wanted to be sure.
[Reply]
v00d3W 09:00 AM 11-17-2011
HELP!!!

I currently have a Napoleon II humidor, and have about 50 cigars in it. I recently switched from the standard brick humidifier to the Humicare Crystals, and am using Cigar Juice. It has been staying constant at 70% and 70 degrees. Since the temprature outside changed, and I have started using the central heat in the house, the humidity has started to drop (67% - 68%) in the Humidor. I moved one of the two crystal jars from the bottom shelf to the top shelf, and now the humidity stays at 72%. The last three cigars I smoked started cracking, and unraveling halfway through the smoke. The cigars that acted this way are 2 CAO Brazilia Gol, and one Erin Go Brah. Any insight would be great, thanks.
[Reply]
kydsid 09:11 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by v00d3W:
HELP!!!

I currently have a Napoleon II humidor, and have about 50 cigars in it. I recently switched from the standard brick humidifier to the Humicare Crystals, and am using Cigar Juice. It has been staying constant at 70% and 70 degrees. Since the temprature outside changed, and I have started using the central heat in the house, the humidity has started to drop (67% - 68%) in the Humidor. I moved one of the two crystal jars from the bottom shelf to the top shelf, and now the humidity stays at 72%. The last three cigars I smoked started cracking, and unraveling halfway through the smoke. The cigars that acted this way are 2 CAO Brazilia Gol, and one Erin Go Brah. Any insight would be great, thanks.

First a drop to 67-68% is nothing to worry about. It takes quite a while for a individual cigar to change its rH based on the difference in surrounding rH. Conversely 72% is not that big of a deal either. This is especially true dependent on you hygrometer's accuracy. Now if the hygrometer is off by 10% and you really have 82% AND it stayed that high for more than two weeks it might be time to take action.

As for the cracking and unraveling that could be simple damage or bad rolls or indicative of a humidity issue, but not necessarily what you are thinking. Cracking and unraveling is most common when the cigar is exposed to a drastic temp and humidity change. Such as taking a stick out of a 70/70 humidor and smoking outside in the winter at 40/20.

In your case because you have two humidification sources if you want to start now, remove one. Callibrate your hygrometer (search the forum, several how too's on this). Then see where you are at.

Then remember that after all is said and done a cracked or unravelling wrapper has little to no effect on the cigar as you smoke it and really is only annoying to those of us with OCD who need a perfect even burn. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:15 AM 11-17-2011
Jason is absolutely correct!
[Reply]
v00d3W 09:18 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by kydsid:
As for the cracking and unraveling that could be simple damage or bad rolls or indicative of a humidity issue, but not necessarily what you are thinking. Cracking and unraveling is most common when the cigar is exposed to a drastic temp and humidity change. Such as taking a stick out of a 70/70 humidor and smoking outside in the winter at 40/20.

In your case because you have two humidification sources if you want to start now, remove one. Callibrate your hygrometer (search the forum, several how too's on this). Then see where you are at.

Then remember that after all is said and done a cracked or unravelling wrapper has little to no effect on the cigar as you smoke it and really is only annoying to those of us with OCD who need a perfect even burn. :-)

So, that makes a lot of sense, I was smoking all three on my porch in the winter (cold) air.

I have a decent digital hygrometer, and i calibrated it about a year and a half ago, do you think I need to calibrate it again?

and I am a bit OCD about my burn too :P
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:21 AM 11-17-2011
If you are worried about it I would calibrate it again. The calibration changes as the batteries age. I generally replace my batteries about every six months (cheap insurance).
[Reply]
T.G 09:23 AM 11-17-2011
I have a decent digital hygrometer, and i calibrated it about a year and a half ago, do you think I need to calibrate it again?
Yes, and if you haven't replaced the battery since then, do that first, then recalibrate it.
[Reply]
kydsid 09:23 AM 11-17-2011
So, that makes a lot of sense, I was smoking all three on my porch in the winter (cold) air.

and I am a bit OCD about my burn too :P

If its your only hygrometer,YES. But the fact that it has been stable like that for a year and a half you could throw out the hygrometer to keep you from OCD'ing about the rH. :-)

In seriousness, once you get a well sealed humidor dialed in you don't need/shouldn't be messing with it unless it gets way outa hand.

As for your cracking, take the cigar outside and let it lower in temp for a couple minutes before lighting. That usually will help alleviate the problem.
[Reply]
v00d3W 09:45 AM 11-17-2011
Thanks everyone, this was very insightful!!!
[Reply]
irratebass 10:04 AM 11-17-2011
Do you have to recalibrate everytime you put new batteries in?
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:15 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
It might depend on the brand/model, but my Xikar definitely does.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:29 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Have to? No

Should you? Yes.
[Reply]
irratebass 11:04 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Have to? No

Should you? Yes.
Ahh haa...:-)
[Reply]
Diths0er 03:47 PM 11-18-2011
I purchased some cigars through CI. As is my usual practice, I dry box them for a bit because they come soaking wet by putting them in a sealed container on their own with a hygrometer, which I check after several hours just to make sure things are where I want it. Well, I forgot about them for a week and a half to two weeks, and when I opened the container they were at 57 rh or so. They are a little hard, and they do smoke a little on the dry side. My question is, could I have I permanently damaged them?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:49 PM 11-18-2011
They are fine. No worries. Cigars are much tougher than we sometimes give them credit for.
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:05 PM 11-18-2011
Chutney is right -- just throw them in your humidor and they will rehydrate and be fine.
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 06:13 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Diths0er:
I purchased some cigars through CI. As is my usual practice, I dry box them for a bit because they come soaking wet by putting them in a sealed container on their own with a hygrometer, which I check after several hours just to make sure things are where I want it. Well, I forgot about them for a week and a half to two weeks, and when I opened the container they were at 57 rh or so. They are a little hard, and they do smoke a little on the dry side. My question is, could I have I permanently damaged them?
no they are from a organic material and with a little tlc they will be ready to smoke again. and by tlc i mean introduce to humidity rest and smoke..
[Reply]
Page 79 of 138
« First < 2969777879 808189129 > Last »
Up