Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Aging Peak Times
JenksAnejo 03:29 PM 02-20-2012
So I know there are no guarentees that aging will make a NC improve over time; however, aging can greatly improve the flavor in many cigars.

I would like to start a thread where you guys tell me when you think the "peak" time of a certain cigar might be! Pick a few or hell tell me as many as you would like.

Example: I think the Anejo is at its peak after a year of aging. I enjoy them right off the truck, but if I was able to have my pick I would smoke year old Anejo's all day everyday.

Opinions will greatly vary and that's ok! :-) For some reason I'm am greatly intrigued by the aging process and am interested in reading many different opinions from my brosephs!
[Reply]
Dunkel 03:42 PM 02-20-2012
The law of 3's.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 03:48 PM 02-20-2012
Rule of 3's :-)
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 03:50 PM 02-20-2012
:-)
[Reply]
pektel 03:52 PM 02-20-2012
Thought this was a good read:

http://cigars.co.uk/printable/node/77

I know the article speaks specifically of cuban cigars, but a fun read nonetheless.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 03:53 PM 02-20-2012
After 3 weeks the cigar begins to stabilize. After 3 months the profile of the cigar...

Really, I am interested too as I've only been smoking cigars for about 6 months.
[Reply]
pektel 04:00 PM 02-20-2012
It depends on the original strength of the cigar, among other things. Mild smokes tend to fall on their faces much sooner than full flavored smokes. At least, in my limited experience.
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 04:00 PM 02-20-2012
i personally think it depends on the cigar. Opus X and Anejo's require a year before they start to come into their own but could still use more. Where as PAN64's only need maybe 6months. Not to mention everyones pallets are different and tastes will vary from person to person. There is no right or wrong for this question but what YOU think is best and what tastes best to you!
[Reply]
McSmokey 04:06 PM 02-20-2012
In all honesty I recently smoked an Opus RdC whose celo had turned yellow(4-5 years old) and will not smoke another that has not aged this long.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:09 PM 02-20-2012
I try to age all my Gurkhas to last until the day after my death.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 04:10 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by pektel:
Thought this was a good read:

http://cigars.co.uk/printable/node/77

I know the article speaks specifically of cuban cigars, but a fun read nonetheless.
Thank you, that was a great read.
[Reply]
DaBear 04:12 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
jluck 04:17 PM 02-20-2012
I use a different rule of three. I start aging times when they are delivered.
ROTT.....THEN....
3 seconds
Or
3 minutes
And when I'm really trying hard
3 hours.:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:18 PM 02-20-2012
Where is Nickerson when you need him? :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 04:23 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
:-)

The general rule is well-established; the specific factors of aging any one cigar begin with the cigar itself; the temperature at which you keep it and the humidity are the other two factors.

Cigars are one area in which the "nature vs. nurture" argument is pointless; a great cigar kept in poor conditions will cease to be a great cigar, but a bad cigar will never be a great cigar, no matter how long nor how well you age it.

I have a lot of clear Havanas and other old sticks which were likely kept in what we would regard as poor conditions; in someone's desk or someone attic/basement, often for 50 or more years. Yet after some TLC and time in a good environment, they rebounded to the point at which they are among my most prized cigars, and I enjoy them thoroughly...but I have no idea how good they could have been.

Point is: experiment. Try for yourself. No one here can say for sure what current, fresh sticks are going to age well, although you do develop a good "eye" for spotting them after you gain some experience.

That said, I have some Cremosas that have aged for at least six years. :-):
[Reply]
lenguamor 04:26 PM 02-20-2012
And read the stickies!
[Reply]
pnoon 05:42 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
After 3 weeks the cigar begins to stabilize. After 3 months the profile of the cigar...

Really, I am interested too as I've only been smoking cigars for about 6 months.
It is a joke, Brian.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48249
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 06:53 PM 02-20-2012
Thanks for the read Pektel!
[Reply]
ApexAZ 07:16 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
It is a joke, Brian.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48249
Oh yes, I know. I was kidding because of the so called rule of 3's sticky in the new inmate forum.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Zeuceone 07:26 PM 02-20-2012
I find them best at about 5pm
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up