Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Saving money on USPS shipping
Newbie_nick 05:34 PM 02-17-2012
Hey all!

I thought that I would pass on something that I've learned when shipping cigars via USPS that might save y'all some money. Normally, I like to use the flat rate boxes to ship just about everything, but the flat rate boxes are generally only good deals if you're shipping heavy stuff. Guess what! Cigars aren't very heavy...

Example #1:
Shipping 10 cigars or about 10oz
From 45840 (NW Ohio)
To 94121 (San Francisco)
Small flat rate box = $5.35
Normal packaging = $6.20
Here, the flat rate box is a decent deal

Example #2:
Shipping 20 cigars or about 1 1/2 pounds
From 45840 (NW Ohio)
To 94121 (San Francisco)
Medium flat rate box = $11.35
Normal packaging = $10.40
Here, the flat rate box is at a little disadvantage.

Example #3:
From 45840 (NW Ohio)
To 22192 (middle of Virginia)
Normal packaging = $6.30
Here, the flat rate box is at a HUGE disadvantage.

So, what's the take-away message? Just check USPS calculators before you ship. With shorter distances and lighter packages (like cigars!), you might be spending too much to use flat rate boxes.

Just wanted to help... :-)
Nick
[Reply]
jluck 05:43 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by Newbie_nick:
Hey all!

I thought that I would pass on something that I've learned when shipping cigars via USPS that might save y'all some money. Normally, I like to use the flat rate boxes to ship just about everything, but the flat rate boxes are generally only good deals if you're shipping heavy stuff. Guess what! Cigars aren't very heavy...

Example #1:
Shipping 10 cigars or about 10oz
From 45840 (NW Ohio)
To 94121 (San Francisco)
Small flat rate box = $5.35
Normal packaging = $6.20
Here, the flat rate box is a decent deal

Example #2:
From 45840 (NW Ohio)
To 94121 (San Francisco)
Normal packaging = $10.40
Here, the flat rate box is at a little disadvantage.

Example #3:
From 45840 (NW Ohio)
To 22192 (middle of Virginia)
Normal packaging = $6.30
Here, the flat rate box is at a HUGE disadvantage.

So, what's the take-away message? Just check USPS calculators before you ship. With shorter distances and lighter packages (like cigars!), you might be spending too much to use flat rate boxes.

Just wanted to help... :-)
Nick
What would the cost be for #3 shipped to frisco though? Just to keep a even comparison.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 05:50 PM 02-17-2012
do you work for the post office. I mean what post office clerk would sit there while you tested all this.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 05:51 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
What would the cost be for #3 shipped to frisco though? Just to keep a even comparison.
$10.40. Same exact specs as #2.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 05:54 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks:
do you work for the post office. I mean what post office clerk would sit there while you tested all this.
I think Nick is comparing the price that he paid to ship packages to these destinations with the flat rate box necessary to do the same. What Nick is saying is that you may get a better deal with light packages like cigars using a normal box (like a c-bid box) than a flat rate. And the savings are even more if it is a shorter trip.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 05:57 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by mkarnold1:
I think Nick is comparing the price that he paid to ship packages to these destinations with the flat rate box necessary to do the same.
That makes sense, i understand what he was saying. I just got an image of him checking all the costs and weights while a line wrapping around the post office.
[Reply]
mase 06:01 PM 02-17-2012
I had no idea that they charge you depending on distance. I've always been under the impression that the cost of sending a package is based purely on weight and how fast you want it there. I guess you learn something new everyday.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:01 PM 02-17-2012
What is "Normal Packaging", Parcel Post? Did you price out the Regional Flat Rate boxes? Regional A is usually pretty good pricing (pricing is only available online).
[Reply]
jluck 06:39 PM 02-17-2012
$10.40. Same exact specs as #2.
Thank ya' I missed that.
[Reply]
joeobx 06:42 PM 02-17-2012
3 bombs going out ?????
:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 06:47 PM 02-17-2012
To me the flat rates are just convenient. Free box, flat rate shipping anywhere in the country and easily available. Priority 2-3 day shipping as well. It's a good standard.

I would hate to have to charge different buyers different shipping costs, too much hassle. Also you would have to have the box(es).

I often realize I'm paying more but usually only by a couple of bucks.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:27 PM 02-17-2012
I have used the "media" box for a long time. They are bigger than the small flat rate box and save a few cents. They are free as well and allow me to send a few more sticks. Plus they have a tab you can pull to open the box. The small flat rate boxes drive me crazy trying to open them.
[Reply]
hotreds 07:53 PM 02-17-2012
Sending fivers First Class is the way to go.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:09 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Sending fivers First Class is the way to go.
What do you use for packaging?
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 08:13 PM 02-17-2012
Wow...this thread went crazy while I was out for a smoke!!

Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks:
NO, I don't work for the post office! I'm a NERD...yes, I admitted it. I am a nerd and love to do stupid comparisons like this. The postage calculator on USPS.com is awesome! :-)

I think Nick is comparing the price that he paid to ship packages to these destinations with the flat rate box necessary to do the same. What Nick is saying is that you may get a better deal with light packages like cigars using a normal box (like a c-bid box) than a flat rate. And the savings are even more if it is a shorter trip.
Mark gets it! :-)

Originally Posted by CigarNut:
What is "Normal Packaging", Parcel Post? Did you price out the Regional Flat Rate boxes? Regional A is usually pretty good pricing (pricing is only available online).
Actually, normal packaging means non-flat rate boxes, but you're still sending it priority, just like a flat rate box. Just use a left over box from C-bid or Amazon!

What...a thread this good and no rep points?!? :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:15 PM 02-17-2012
What...a thread this good and no rep points?!? :-)
Really? :-)
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 08:24 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Really? :-)
Maybe? :-)
[Reply]
jluck 08:30 PM 02-17-2012
Negitive rep points are a option too right.:-)
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 08:32 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
Negitive rep points are a option too right.:-)
Yeah, yeah...I know. :-)

Don't make me get all nerdy on y'all and bust out the Excel spreadsheets! I'll make postage calculators for everybody! :-)
[Reply]
jluck 08:33 PM 02-17-2012
Yeah, yeah...I know. :-)

Don't make me get all nerdy on y'all and bust out the Excel spreadsheets! I'll make postage calculators for everybody! :-)
Two different issues. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up