Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Stupid dog did it again.
BC-Axeman 12:40 PM 06-18-2010
Got home after bedtime last night and had to take the dogs out far a walk. Our half-wolf dog dives into the bushes and I hear a scuffle. Out he comes shaking his head and I thought uh-oh. Bam! The smell hits me. Skunk! Close. Wow! Breath through my mouth. Now it's late and I have a skunked dog to deal with. This is not his first skunking. You would Think one time would be enough.

Here's my deskunking recipe:
Bucket of hot water
1/2 cup bleach
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup laundry detergent

Scrub dog with brush and skunkwash, repeat a few times.

This helps bring it down to a faint wet skunk smell.
I think the odor gets stuck in your sinuses though. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of the dang critter. Not the dog, the skunk.:-)
[Reply]
sikk50 01:05 PM 06-18-2010
Yet one more reason I enjoy living in the burbs.

I did get my patrol truck sprayed by a skunk once. The guy who used it after me was maaaad
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 02:35 PM 06-18-2010
a bath in diluted tomato juice will do the trick also!
[Reply]
Blindjimme 02:50 PM 06-18-2010
Dog's not stupid. He likes getting skunkwash baths :-):-)
[Reply]
md4958 02:57 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
Now I have to figure out how to get rid of the dang critter. Not the dog, the skunk.:-)
I hear mothballs work as a repellent, never tried them though.
[Reply]
shark 03:38 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by sikk50:
Yet one more reason I enjoy living in the burbs.

I did get my patrol truck sprayed by a skunk once. The guy who used it after me was maaaad
Oh, I've seen them out in the 'burbs too.
[Reply]
Blueface 04:06 PM 06-18-2010
Oh man, while that sucks, I can only chuckle.
Glad it is not mine though.:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 04:11 PM 06-18-2010
My Shepherd Ganz has been averaging 3-4 possums a summer the past few years...thankfully it has been several years since he got a skunk. I used to use the powdered douche mix for the smell (his, not anyone else's), maybe that helped me get my nickname. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:51 PM 06-18-2010
PPPPPPPPPPP UUUUUU!! :-)
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 07:58 PM 06-18-2010
hopefully the smell goes away quickly for you

my little husky only hunts birds in the yard... haven't let her after squirrels, rabbits or anything else. knock on wood, thankfully no skunks yet
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:44 AM 06-19-2010
The smell is mostly off the dog. The skunk was behind a tarp that hangs on the side of the chicken pen for a windbreak. The dog dived behind the tarp after him and got hit point blank, so the tarp is coated too. The chickens are OK and don't seen to care. Life in the country. I'm going to try the mothballs.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:10 AM 06-19-2010
Mythbusters did an episode on Skunk smells. Check youtube for the episode, maybe they know how to get rid of the smell.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:33 AM 06-19-2010
Have had to deal with skunk smell an number of times. Best method, over tomato juice and Lance's recipe? Powder douche mix, but concentrated.
[Reply]
shilala 12:11 PM 06-19-2010
Lance, we get rid of them with a live trap. Tie a rope on it and tie the rope to something (otherwise they will drag the whole rope inside the live trap with their little paws).
When you get him, you hold a sheet up in front of you as you approach. That serves to catch the pee if they let loose, and it keeps gem from seeing you.
Drop the sheet on the trap, wrap it up, and take the whole works to the nearest waterhole. :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 03:34 PM 06-19-2010
Funny story:

We were on vacation a few years ago in NE WI. The place we were at was on a lake, and there are summer cabins around the lake. It was late evening, and I was fly casting off the dock for bass. As you know, sound travels well over water, and it was a calm night, so I could hear a dog barking at someone's cabin across the lake. Then I heard the owner say, "Oh s**t", and curse a blue streak at the dog.

About 5 minutes later I smelled the skunk. :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:48 PM 06-19-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Funny story:

We were on vacation a few years ago in NE WI. The place we were at was on a lake, and there are summer cabins around the lake. It was late evening, and I was fly casting off the dock for bass. As you know, sound travels well over water, and it was a calm night, so I could hear a dog barking at someone's cabin across the lake. Then I heard the owner say, "Oh s**t", and curse a blue streak at the dog.

About 5 minutes later I smelled the skunk. :-)
You know, I heard someone laughing across the lake that night. Was that you? :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist...
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:38 PM 06-14-2012
Well, it's been this long before it happened again. Different dog, though.

1 qt. hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
a little dishwashing detergent
3/4 cups of warm water

Washed and rinsed the dog four times.
Now if only the smell would go away from the house. This is what I get for laughing at the neighbors dogs getting skunked three times in two weeks last year.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:15 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
My Shepherd Ganz has been averaging 3-4 possums a summer the past few years...thankfully it has been several years since he got a skunk. I used to use the powdered douche mix for the smell (his, not anyone else's), maybe that helped me get my nickname. :-)
That was posted 2 summers ago. Since then, Ganz has bagged zero possums, and 3 skunks. He has really slowed down the last couple months (he turned 12 in May), so I am hoping his skunking days are behind us.
[Reply]
LostAbbott 11:24 PM 06-14-2012
We live in the middle of seattle so no skunk problems, but in the six years my dog had been ruling out little 4000sq ft postage stamp he has killed two squirrels, two raccoons, and 23 opossum. He has gotten ridiculous good at it sometimes worry about the local cats...
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
area51 11:36 PM 06-14-2012
I can't even imagine this. Ugh.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up