Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Illusione MK
Ratters 07:38 PM 11-14-2008
Cigar: Illusione MK
Vitola: 5 1/8x 42
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: About $9 from my local B&M, $6 and change in the free world, and about $160 a box online.

Setting: Sun Room, 5pm, about 70 degrees out, pairing with a Barq's.

Pre-light: The cigar has a very simple but attractive gold and white band. The cigar looks veiny and rough but is smooth to the touch. It is a pretty medium dark brown and gives off a nice sheen when held to the light. It is a very firmly packed cigar. It has a triple cap, but an ugly one. The cigar cut easily using the old cranial screw top method but some folded over binder required a second trim. The pre-light draw was slightly firm but rewarded with some rich sweet tobacco taste. The smell from the foot was light and sweet but gave a slight tingle.

First third: The narrow vitola lit up quickly and easily. The dominating initial flavors were coffee and sweet cream. The draw is still a tad on the tight side but smokeable and not surprising for a cigar so tightly packed. The finish is light with a slight dry coffee bitterness on the tongue. After a couple minutes I took another hack at the cap hoping to free it up a tad and it seems to be working for the most part. The cigar is producing a tight light gray ash and a mostly even burn line. Well, that was till about an inch in when I noticed a tunnel burning a small hole in the wrapper about 1/4 inch from the burn line. It then turned into this ugliness:

Second third: Funny about the burn issue, I've had several of these before and they burned great. It's been the Holy Lance that have previously given me problems. Well, after all the ugliness it actually pretty much corrected itself without any butane intervention from me. The body is picking up into the medium range and the strength seems to be in the medium full range, though I haven't eaten since lunch so my nic gauge might be a little off. Toward the second half the smoke production and body are starting to come up. The bitterness is fading and leathery taste is coming to the fore. Finish is still pleasant and sweet and a little less bitter. The cigar has a light spice to it, with just a slight tingle.

Final third: The body has picked up into the medium/medium full range. The bitterness is pretty much gone and leather is the predominant taste, along with a sweet molasses kind of flavor and a tad bit of spice. It's really become a lot smoother. The draw has eased up as well. It's really smoking nicely now and I still haven't had to do any touch ups. It's getting a bit hot as I get into toothpick range but it's still a really pleasant and flavorful smoke.

Final thoughts: I've already had several of these, and this one was the first with burn and draw issues. But those didn't detract too much from an overall pleasurable smoke. I prefer the cg4 to these, but I could still see smoking quite a few of these. Well, if they were cheaper. They are just too far out of my price range and most of the ones I've smoked have been gifted, won, or the couple I've purchased at the shops. If I could get these online for around $4 a stick online I'd be getting a lot more.

Smoke again: Sure, I still have a couple left.
Buy again: I'm sure I'll continue to pick up a stick here or there at the shops. Though for a buck or two more I'll probably reach for the Cruzados if they're there.
Reccommend: Sure, it's a very tasty and pleasurable smoke.
[Reply]
sofaman 08:06 PM 11-14-2008
Thanks for the review, The MK is one of my favorite Coronas:-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:08 PM 11-14-2008
Thanks for the review brother..
[Reply]
Darrell 08:55 PM 11-14-2008
Good review, Steve. :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:26 PM 11-14-2008
Nice review as usual Ratters. I too prefer the CG:4 over the mk.
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:31 PM 11-14-2008
Very nice review with pictures!!!

I have read that others have had burn problems with these lately?

Glad you didn't give up on these!!!

[Reply]
groogs 10:58 PM 11-14-2008
Nice review Steve, I really enjoy the MK. I have smoked through a box of these and I haven't had any burn issues that I can recall. I am glad it corrected itself and you were able to enjoy the smoke.
[Reply]
WyGuy 03:12 PM 11-15-2008
Nice review...maybe the next Illusione I try?
[Reply]
troutbreath 03:16 PM 11-15-2008
Nice review! Love the pics. Picked up a few of these earlier in the week, and I am looking forward to trying them even more, now.
[Reply]
ucla695 03:25 PM 11-15-2008
You just convinced me to try this cigars. Great review!
[Reply]
Cigarcop 03:33 PM 11-15-2008
Nice review and one I have definetely been wanting to try but can't find locally. :-)
[Reply]
Scottw 09:28 PM 11-19-2008
Nice review, been looking for some of these and CG4. Sounds like a great stick.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:39 PM 11-19-2008
great review and pics! :-)
[Reply]
papichulo 01:50 PM 03-01-2010
Great review and this is my favorite of the Illusione line.
[Reply]
Up