OHRD 11:21 AM 03-12-2010

Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Full

Price: Box of 20, $106.00

Grade: 9.1

United Tobacco got its start in 2003, when Eric Espinosa and Eddie Ortega joined forces. Since their partnership began, they have released some highly rated cigars, including the 601 line (Red, Blue, Green, and Black), Cubao, and Mi Barrio, all blended by Don Pepin Garcia.

The 601 line, released in 2006, is produced in Pepin’s Nicaraguan factory, Tabacalara Cubana, and comes in several wrappers: Nicaraguan Habano (Red), Nicaraguan Habano Maduro (Blue), Nicaraguan Habano Oscuro (Green), and Ecuadorian Connecticut (Black). The Blue Label was Pepin’s first box pressed and his first Maduro cigar produced.

Today we are reviewing the Red Label, which comes in seven sizes and is available in boxes of 20, except for the Guapito, which comes in boxes of 100:
Churchill, 7×48

Rabito, 6 1/2×46

Robusto, 5×50

Toro, 6×50

Torpedo, 6 1/8×52

Trabuco, 6 1/8×58

Guapito, 4×32
We haven’t focused a lot on EO Brands here at Toasted Foot, though we did quick toast the Black Label. It does seem however that we’ve been attracted to some Pepin blends as of late.

Now, on to the toast.

Pre-light, 1.8:
This Nicaraguan puro was a great looking smoke right out of the gate. The medium brown wrapper was very toothy with one noticeable, prominent vein. The cigar had no soft spots, a good weight, and the triple cap was constructed very nicely. The pre-light aroma was of leather and oats at the foot. The cold draw produced a note of pepper spice that tickled the throat on the inhale.

Burn, 1.7:
Toasted and lit, the 601 Red Label produced a nice amount of smoke with just the right amount of resistance on the draw. The ash was very dark on the cigar and was not layered well at all, but it held well past an inch before I let it go. The cigar burned well until the last third, when it got a bit jagged, though this did not deter from the smoking experience – the draw remained open and the cigar produced a mouthful of smoke throughout.

Flavor, 2.8:
This being a Don Pepin Garcia blend, my expectations were high in his department. The first puff on the 601 was of tobacco with a hint of spice. The first third followed this trend but of course the spice picked up as I smoked. The second third seemed to transition into a more lively tobacco profile, with some leather and the ever present spice. The last third really took it up a notch in the spice department – it was a very warm spice that left the tongue and lips a little numb on the exhale, but in a good way.

Overall, 2.8:
The flavor profile on the 601 Red was very balanced and somewhat complex. You can readily pick these up between four and six dollars a stick, making this an excellent value for the money. EO Brands has a solid stick on their hands that produced a nice, consistent smoking experience that will not break the bank.

(Total: 9.1)
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:40 AM 03-12-2010
Great review! Pretty much my favorite DPG blend.
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:03 PM 03-12-2010
I love the blues and Greens myself but pretty much any DPG is good. Nice review :-)
[Reply]
JJG 12:09 PM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
:-) The red label 601s were my go-to NC when they first came out. definitely time to try one again.
[Reply]
OHRD 12:53 PM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Wow! You'd put it over all other DPG's?
[Reply]
TheRiddick 01:21 PM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
Wow! You'd put it over all other DPG's?
Absolutely! The only other DPG blend that is on par, TO ME, is DPG Cuban Classic. Add Cubao to the mix (Sumatra).

I rarely buy any others save for Tats Miami Noella and Tats Red Angeles (hmmm, size does matter?).

Recently smoked My Father Le Bijou next to Padilla Dominus and it was not even close, IMO, Padill won hands down. Have a My Father Lancero to try, though, maybe this weekend.
[Reply]
NickyTeen 02:10 PM 03-12-2010
Thank you for the nice review. The red is definately my favorite of the 601 series.
[Reply]
pds 03:06 PM 03-12-2010
601 is a rock solid brand all the way around. Eddie Ortega is a great guy, and someone who I love to see what he comes up with.
[Reply]
Razorhog 03:08 PM 03-12-2010
Nice review, I need to try one of those! Had a 601 Green and it was tasty but too powerful for me.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:15 PM 03-12-2010
Nice review!! :-)
[Reply]
G G 03:51 PM 03-12-2010
Thanks for the review. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 03:58 PM 03-12-2010
Awesome review.:-)
I'll have to try these again.
[Reply]
shilala 04:55 PM 03-12-2010
Nice review, my brother. The 601 red is an excellent smoke. :-)
I have to admit it left me wondering. 9.1 out of what?
[Reply]
Mr.Erskine 05:18 PM 03-12-2010
I've wondered about 601's. I've not had one, but have been thinking of trying them.
[Reply]
Ratters 06:23 PM 03-12-2010
Yep, one of my favorites, In fact this inspired me to grab one right now. :-)
[Reply]
bishjd123 10:27 AM 03-13-2010
I've not had the 601 red yet, but there's a 601 blue with my name on it for this afternoon.
[Reply]
OHRD 11:19 AM 03-13-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
Nice review, my brother. The 601 red is an excellent smoke. :-)
I have to admit it left me wondering. 9.1 out of what?
We use a 10 point scale:

* Pre-light – considers pre-light draw and aroma, quality of wrapper, head, and foot, difficulty and quality of roll, and overall exterior quality including label and packaging.
(2 points)

* Burn – considers quality and hold of ash, draw, thickness of smoke, and issues with touch-up and re-lighting.
(2 points)

* Flavor/taste – considers flavor profile, general interest in continuing the current smoke and future purchasing, and complexity or consistency.
(3 points)

* Overall – considers value of the smoke, smoking experience and enjoyment, and other minor points of interest not covered in other scoring categories.
(3 points)
[Reply]
Up