Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Ashton Heritage robusto
Don Fernando 03:21 PM 03-01-2011
The Ashton Heritage puro sol is made from all sun grown tobacco, hence the name 'puro sol' and was the first Ashton with a Cameroon wrapper. The cigar is made as a tribute to two important families in the Tobacco industry, the Fuentes and the Meerapfels. The wrapper is handpicked by Richard Meerapfel

This 5½x50 robusto has a nice mild shiny and quite dark wrapper with some veins. The construction feels good. I smell a mild barnyard smell. The predraw is good and I taste a dry bark flavor.

I taste a pleasant coffee flavor with a quite strong citrus. After a quarter of an inch, the coffee is gone and I taste a spicy flavor with still a strong citrus flavor. After half an inch I taste herbs, mild spicy and the citrus flavor moved to the aftertaste. The citrus and the spiciness grow in strength. After an inch I also taste some wood with the citrus and the spice. After two inch the spicy herbs lose some of their strength, I taste some wood too and even some mint in the aftertaste.

Halfway I get herbs with wood. The spice and the citrus have disappeared and I even discover a hint of chocolate. The herbs slowly grow in strength and the spice returns, but not as strong as before. The chocolate disappears and that's what I taste until the final puffs, that bring me some pepper too.

This cigar lasted me for an hour and fifteen minutes. The draw was too loose and I had to correct the burn several times. I got a lot of thick smoke though and the firm but frayed ash is almost white. This cigar is full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? I think I will stick to the Ashton VSG

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
Up