Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Don Fernando toro
Don Fernando 02:30 AM 02-03-2011
About a year and a half ago my friend Andrew, co-owner of Guillen cigars, hooked me up with some Don Fernando cigars, a gift that left me speechless and humbled. Nicaraguan puros in four sizes, Belicoso, Corona, Robusto and Toro.

The medium brown wrapper has lots of veins and some spots and darker stripes. The size of this toro is 6x50. The barnyard smell is medium strong. The construction seems a little soft and that results in a little bit loose predraw, which is quite flavorless.

I taste a nice and warm wood flavor with some earth and soon a huge dose of pepper. The cigar is creamy, almost buttery. After an inch the flavor changes to herbs, quite spicy with some nutmeg and other spices. I even taste some chocolate.

After a third I taste more pepper. The chocolate and spices have gone. I taste herbs and pepper and the flavors are mild creamy. A few puffs later I taste a dry and quite strong wood flavor again. Halfway I taste herbs with some wood and lots of pepper with some chocolate. The flavors are still a little bit creamy and buttery. After two thirds I taste herbs, wood and sharp cinnamon. The creaminess fades and is hardly noticeable anymore. Near the end the cinnamon becomes the main flavor.

It took me two hours to finish this cigar, but I enjoyed every minute. The draw is a bit loose. I got an amazing amount of extremely thick smoke. The burn is good. The salt and pepper colored ash is frayed but reasonably firm. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied, I even had a little bit of a vitamin N overdose.

Would I buy this cigar again? I wish, they are all sold out

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 9 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:20 AM 02-03-2011
I still have a few of these. Nice review of YOUR stick brother. :-)
[Reply]
76GTFan 11:08 PM 02-05-2011
These are the same makers of the Miraflor correct?
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:33 AM 02-06-2011
Yup
[Reply]
AndyMadera 03:45 PM 02-06-2011
I wish I still had some of these and the pinedas. But most of all im glad that you really enjoyed your cigar. Maybe one of these days ill be able to get back into it and make a new batch for you guys.
[Reply]
Sin 06:57 PM 02-18-2011
Very cool review. Andy must be a hell of a guy for making this cigar for you :-)
[Reply]
G G 07:40 PM 02-18-2011
Very cool Ferdie.:-)
[Reply]
EricF 07:52 PM 02-18-2011
Great Review of your cigar!
[Reply]
whodeeni 09:23 PM 02-26-2011
Originally Posted by EricF:
Great Review of your cigar!
+1:-)
[Reply]