Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Environment effects
gvarsity 11:53 AM 05-14-2009
I have had some problems lately with cigars essentially exploding or at least having the foot crack relatively soon after taking them out of the humidor. I don't think this is due to anything wrong with the storage conditions. They are nicely settled at 65% humidity there is some fluctuation in temperature but stays in the 65-70 degree range in the room with the humidors/coolerdors.

I think the problem is with Wisconsin. Relative humidity in my house in the winter is around 20% and in the Summer around 80%+. This spring has also been quite humid due to a lot of rain. I think taking cigars out of the humidor or even opening the humidor to long can "shock" my cigars for lack of a better term due to the drastic difference in humidity between the humidor and the atmosphere. Short of adding climate control to the entire room the humidors are in does anyone have any suggestions how to minimize this impact? Do I need to create a seasonal transition humidor i.e. 55%-60% for winter and 70% for summer?
[Reply]
e-man67 12:12 PM 05-14-2009
I would try varying the RH...cracking wrappers is no fun...either that or puff faster!
[Reply]
adampc22 12:13 PM 05-14-2009
try leting the rh in the humidor go to 70%
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 12:19 PM 05-14-2009
If the exterior humidity is 80%+, try "dry" boxing a cigar for an hour or two after taking it out of the humidor. It will probably become more humid, but at a slower pace than the cigar being just out in the open.
[Reply]
sodomanaz 02:25 PM 05-14-2009
WI here too. A dehumidifier + basement will do wonders.
[Reply]
Up