Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>For the single malt lover
RWhisenand 09:24 PM 09-17-2014
Cool idea for a thread, my wife surprised me with a bottle of 16 YO Lagavulin, not sure where she found it, I'm not asking too many questions!
[Reply]
REASON 10:31 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
Where did you find that! Kensington is still waiting, and has no price yet. Give it a try - is it bigger than the Corrywrecken?
This was last years release, kensington was likely thinking you meant the Supernova at which case will be released here in AB two fridays from now to coincide with the lake louse Ardbeg event sampling the actual juice that was in space.

I find its thick oily in the mouth, smokey with little sweetness. If it was a battle vs the Auriverdes IMO it would lose to the Auriverdes hands down.
[Reply]
REASON 10:35 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by RWhisenand:
Cool idea for a thread, my wife surprised me with a bottle of 16 YO Lagavulin, not sure where she found it, I'm not asking too many questions!
Fine choice I wouldn't ask questions either. Its been probably over a year since I've had any so I'm about ready to get reacquainted with it.
[Reply]
bimmerguy82 01:11 AM 09-18-2014
Damn, jealous of those bottles. Dumb question, but I'll throw it out there. Obviously Scotch gets aged in the casks, but if you were to buy a 12yr bottle of XX and hold onto it for another 10-15 yrs., would that change the flavor at all?
[Reply]
REASON 01:24 AM 09-18-2014
Unopened bottles don't change over time once in the bottle, like say a wine which will keep aging. Now once open it does oxidize and will change the taste, the rule of thumb is 75% full it will keep with little change for yr or so. The low level you get the quicker it will change to a flat tasteless bottle.
[Reply]
REASON 11:49 AM 10-06-2014
Grabbed this guy a week ago.
ImageIMG_4989 by REASON29, on Flickr
[Reply]
Taki 11:31 AM 03-06-2015
Just picked up the following...

Lagavulin 1995 (bottled 2013) Pedro Ximénez Cask Finish - Distillers Edition
Balvenie 14 Year Old Caribbean Cask
Oban 14 Year
[Reply]
stearns 11:39 AM 03-06-2015
Love that Caribbean cask :-)
[Reply]
nutcracker 01:24 PM 03-06-2015
My latest: A SMWS cask strength 24 year old Laphroiag.

[Reply]
Partagaspete 10:13 AM 03-11-2015
I brought a bottle of that Talisker Distillers Edition to Amsterdam for a weekend HERF. it was probably the best Single Malt I have ever had. Loved it so much went to buy somemore in Duty free on my way back home and it was all gone. Love the Lagavulin too!
[Reply]
hammondc 11:38 AM 03-11-2015
educate me on the SMWS. Never heard of this.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 08:40 PM 04-29-2015
We picked out a nice bottle of "Scotch" today. Nikka Whisky Taketsuru Whisky, well at least that's what is written on the label. Dang this stuff tastes like a top shelf Islay! A little more heather and honey than Lagavulan but still a good helping of peat smoke. Would recommend!
[Reply]
nutcracker 04:23 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by hammondc:
educate me on the SMWS. Never heard of this.
http://www.smwsa.com

Awesome bottlings of single cask, cask strength. A society that does independent bottlings.
[Reply]
nutcracker 04:24 AM 04-30-2015
We picked out a nice bottle of "Scotch" today. Nikka Whisky Taketsuru Whisky, well at least that's what is written on the label. Dang this stuff tastes like a top shelf Islay! A little more heather and honey than Lagavulan but still a good helping of peat smoke. Would recommend!
Japanese whiskey is really taking off. They are quite pricey up here.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:11 AM 04-30-2015
Was it this?

I was surprised to find that in my local liquor store a few weeks back as they don't have that great a selection. It was very good and reasonably priced, too.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 08:36 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
Was it this?

I was surprised to find that in my local liquor store a few weeks back as they don't have that great a selection. It was very good and reasonably priced, too.
Yes sir, that was it. Like I stated I would recommend this to any malt lover! I'll keep my eyes open for any more Japanese whisky.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 08:37 AM 04-30-2015
I just finished the bottle two nights ago. Now I have to cross my fingers and hope they got some more in. :-)

Technically, though, it's not a single malt as they combine two different 12-year old distillings to make it. I could care less, though, as it is some tasty stuff!
[Reply]
nutcracker 07:32 AM 07-23-2015
My brother is visiting us from S Africa and is a huge Ardbeg fan. We pulled these from the vault for a wee tasting:

The Blasda is the wimp in the group. Only 40% abv and very lightly,pleated, it really lack Ardgeb character. The Corrywrecken and Uidegaal are phenomenal and any Islay fan needs to have both. The new release Perpetuum underwhelms and although 57%abv doesn't reflect much peaty sweetness.

I like my Ardbeg heavy, cask strength and full,bore peat (they usually are around 24ppm).
Even Kato prefers the Uidegaal.

[Reply]
markem 08:17 AM 07-23-2015
Oh man but I do love this thread. Ardbeg is truly a gem. Didn't know that they made a little 40%er. I still drool over the first pic - Macallan was a go to for many years.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up