Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Which cigars pair well with Tequila?
Frodo 08:13 AM 05-11-2014
Hi all:

Wondering for those who pair cigars with tequila - what pairings work for you? I read a primer from Cigar Advisor about pairings. Condensed version - don't discount unaged tequilas.

Now I've tried a 7 Leguas Anejo with various sticks - seems to be hit and miss for me. Any suggestions - such as which wrappers would more likely work with tequila? Good NC - tequila pairing that have worked for you would be most helpful!!
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:17 AM 05-11-2014
I like Cazadores Reposado, Don Julio Anejo and Huzache Silver with cigars.
[Reply]
markem 09:29 AM 05-11-2014
It would help if you would describe what you are looking for in a pairing.

Back when I still drank, I often wanted a pairing that really allowed the flavors of both to meld. For me, the Abandonado Extra Anejo tequila (blue bottle) was great with most cigars because it has a very smooth quality and little actual 'bite'. A great tequila with almost any cigar. I think that the Don Julio Anejo (cigarnut turned me on to this) is also a wonderful pairing.

My advice would be to try to find mini bottles of different tequilas. This way, you can have one drink of each and see what you like. If you plan to pair a lot, you have to decide if you want an 'everyday' tequila or a more expensive one to pair.

Personally, if you can buy it in a gallon or larger plastic bottle, I'd steer clear. YTTMV (your tequila tastes may vary)
[Reply]
the MacDonald 11:00 AM 05-11-2014
I'd be happy to research this for you. Please email cigars and tequila to the MacDonald@macmail.mac.
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 11:15 AM 05-11-2014
Originally Posted by the MacDonald:
I'd be happy to research this for you. Please email cigars and tequila to the MacDonald@macmail.mac.
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:25 AM 05-11-2014
Just about any CC goes well with the Blue bottle!:-)

[Reply]
icehog3 03:14 PM 05-11-2014
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Just about any CC goes well with the Blue bottle!:-)

I sometimes forget all about cigars for a few when the Blue bottle comes out. :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 03:16 PM 05-11-2014
In my experience, unlit ones; so I don't burn the joint down when I hit the floor.:-)
[Reply]
stearns 04:26 PM 05-11-2014
Clase azul is just about the only tequila I drink, which is not often . That stuff pairs amazing with anything that has a little spice to it :-)
[Reply]
Brlesq 05:37 PM 05-11-2014
The high end sipping Anejo Tequilas are great straight up, especially if kept in the freezer (in a screw cap bottle, not a corked one). Casa Noble is my favorite. I enjoy this new Milagro brand, too. CC's seem to pair very well with Tequila. :-)
[Reply]
smokin5 07:11 PM 05-11-2014
Don't know why. but I find Honduran cigars pair the best with tequila.
Something about the woody spice that complements the smoky sweetness
of tequila just so. My personal favorites:

Punch Gran Puro
Saint Luis Rey
Camacho Corojo or Coyolar

If Hondurans aren't your thing, then I suggest a cigar that
you find has a woody base, with a sweet/spicy undertone.

Maduros don't cut it for me. too sweet. & espresso/dark
chocolate doesn't work with the tequila tastes
(I keep my maduros for rum or red wine/port).

Happy hunting for the perfect pair! And a cigar & drink.
[Reply]
Frodo 09:16 PM 05-11-2014
Originally Posted by markem:
It would help if you would describe what you are looking for in a pairing.
Most pairings seem to be either complements or contrasts that find synergy for me. Complements seem easier to predict. I'm thinking that because of the pepper notes in alot of tequilas, those might do well with cigars with spicy notes. The calmer oaky tequilas like Don Julio 1922 or Gran Centenario Anejo are similar to lighter whiskies so I'd think a more ceadery cigar flavour might go with these.

I've got a bottle of 7 Leguas Anejo and an El Tesoro Blanco and am really wondering if I've overlooked an obvious choice to go with these...
[Reply]
Frodo 09:22 PM 05-11-2014
Originally Posted by smokin5:
Something about the woody spice that complements the smoky sweetness
of tequila just so. My personal favorites:

Maduros don't cut it for me. too sweet. & espresso/dark
chocolate doesn't work with the tequila tastes
(I keep my maduros for rum or red wine/port).
Thanks!!

I was wondering about maduros & tequila.

I think I should a try PDR Habano with the tequila that I have. Fits with profile you gave me.

Cheers for the suggestion!!
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 08:35 AM 05-12-2014
Gorilla finger.
[Reply]
Up