Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Recommend a Scotch that...
wayner123 02:47 PM 12-23-2008
Sorry to thread jack here, but what temp do you serve/drink your scotch at normally?
[Reply]
MadAl 03:15 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Sorry to thread jack here, but what temp do you serve/drink your scotch at normally?
Right out of the liquor cabinet, room temperature. I've had JWGold frozen, and it was delightful, but for the price of Gold...
[Reply]
MTB996 06:14 PM 12-23-2008
I would also recommend the genmorangie portwood or even a maccallan. Both are decent, smooth single malts.

JW blue is a really, really, really good, smooth johnnie walker. To me, the taste profile of JW is not good enough to justify the $, no matter how smooth. Again, a lot of personal preference here.

SM's have more complexity and variety in flavor.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 07:53 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Room temp is best!
[Reply]
blugill 12:27 PM 12-27-2008
IMHO JW Blue is over valued. It is good but for the price you can get three or more bottles of single malt premium quality scotch.

I'm not diminishing its flavor by any means. I progressed way past the almost simple taste for the way more complex Lagavulin 16 long ago. Now Lagavulin, as point out earlier isn't a scotch for everyone either, it is however one of the best out there at a relative steal compared to JW Blue.

JW Blue has a honey sweetness to it that to me isn't nearly as good as the smoky bliss of the Lagavulin!
[Reply]
SilverFox 12:56 PM 12-27-2008
JW Blue is good but too much $$$

Chivas welllll :-)

I am a small batch single malt fan myself

My two favorites by far are

Benriach Madiera finish 15yr

Benriach Aged 20

Bruichladdich the 1973

Bruichladdich Infinity2

Temp should be room temp and I have heard many a comment on the water thing but never tried, it apparently opens the Whisky up

[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 08:24 PM 12-27-2008
Originally Posted by SilverFox:

Benriach Aged 20
Bruichladdich the 1973
Bruichladdich Infinity2

Temp should be room temp and I have heard many a comment on the water thing but never tried, it apparently opens the Whisky up
If your talking the standard Chivas 12yo, I agree, it's okay but nothing special! Try the 18yo and you'll be amazed!!!
[Reply]
MadAl 09:39 AM 12-28-2008
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
Benriach Aged 20
Bruichladdich the 1973
Bruichladdich Infinity2
Agree with you on Blue!

Adding a small amount of water does open the whisky up, toning down the alcohol and allowing the other flavors to come forward. Roughly a teaspoon or two is about right, though quarter casks, etc., can (and should, I'm told) take a bit more.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up