Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Need Golf Club Advice...
badbriar 12:43 PM 04-01-2015
I am a 50- something returning to the game after more than a decade hiatus and am ready for a next set of clubs. I currently have a set of Tommy Armour 845's that are ok, but I'm looking to move up to a nice, pre-owned set of forgiving oversize irons. Need advice on what models would be worth looking at. I don't want to buy new right now, as I know that in a year, my game should improve enough to get that reward! Suggestions?
[Reply]
longknocker 01:09 PM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by badbriar:
I am a 50- something returning to the game after more than a decade hiatus and am ready for a next set of clubs. I currently have a set of Tommy Armour 845's that are ok, but I'm looking to move up to a nice, pre-owned set of forgiving oversize irons. Need advice on what models would be worth looking at. I don't want to buy new right now, as I know that in a year, my game should improve enough to get that reward! Suggestions?
Callaway Big Berthas Or Anything Callaway.:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:39 PM 04-01-2015
This seems like a decent deal for new clubs. https://www.dunhamsrewards.com/Coupo...2_040115&did=2
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 01:45 PM 04-01-2015
I got Cleveland Masche irons off of flea bay at the beginning of last summer and I have been impressed. The 3-5 are hybrid which really help the long shots. :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 02:03 PM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by longknocker:
I second this. I picked up a "game improving" set of Diablo irons a couple seasons ago and they seem to be helping my game a bit.
[Reply]
tsolomon 04:50 PM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Bought new Callaway Razr irons last year with a senior flex, added 10 yards to my shots.
[Reply]
Scottw 08:48 PM 04-01-2015
My door wedge is my favorite iron
My golf pencil is my favorite wood

Without them I'd never hit par
[Reply]
badbriar 07:36 PM 04-12-2015
Took the advice of many here and did lot of research on game improving clubs. Several looked promising, but one really stood out to me. Ended up getting a set of Callaway Diablo Edge irons. Took them for a test run today and am very impressed. After getting used to the difference between the Edges and my vintage Tommy Armour 845 (originals), found the Callaways to be super easy to hit and added between 10 and 20 yards to my shots. With well placed hits, the Approach wedge was consistent from 90 to 100 yards. Not bad for an old cat like me! 7 iron sizzled past 150 even on slightly off hits. Callaway makes some amazingly good clubs. Feel is solid and no sting with off hits at all. You Callaway fans were right on the money! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 08:15 PM 04-12-2015
Took the advice of many here and did lot of research on game improving clubs. Several looked promising, but one really stood out to me. Ended up getting a set of Callaway Diablo Edge irons. Took them for a test run today and am very impressed. After getting used to the difference between the Edges and my vintage Tommy Armour 845 (originals), found the Callaways to be super easy to hit and added between 10 and 20 yards to my shots. With well placed hits, the Approach wedge was consistent from 90 to 100 yards. Not bad for an old cat like me! 7 iron sizzled past 150 even on slightly off hits. Callaway makes some amazingly good clubs. Feel is solid and no sting with off hits at all. You Callaway fans were right on the money! :-)
:-):-)
[Reply]
mncigarguy 08:47 PM 04-12-2015
Depends on you handicap, title its ap2 if low, otherwise you'll have to shop. Jpz's middle handicap. Play for the season on junk and see how you do
[Reply]
Dave128 08:16 AM 04-13-2015
Originally Posted by Dave128:
I second this. I picked up a "game improving" set of Diablo irons a couple seasons ago and they seem to be helping my game a bit.
Sweet! Good luck with the new clubs. :-)
[Reply]
Up