Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Problem keeping cigars lit
EKennett 03:34 PM 04-21-2012
Hey guys, newb over here :-)

Anyway, I've been smoking cigars occasionally for a few years now and I seem to have a consistent problem no matter the brand. Once I get around 2/3 of the cigar left I have a really hard time keeping the thing lit. I've paid a lot of attention to the "tips" and "techniques" for smoking and think I'm doing it right. I don't ash unless I have to and I'm careful on my draws to keep the tobacco from getting too hot. I store my cigars in a desktop humidor with one of those gel-bead humidification thingies and my hygrometer usually reads somewhere in the 70's.

There's gotta be something else I'm doing wrong here. Any ideas?
[Reply]
mkarnold1 03:38 PM 04-21-2012
I generally keep mine around 65% and they smoke pretty well. The sticks may just be a little wet. Have you calibrated the hygrometer? If it's reading low the humidity may be upwards of 75% which is too high.
[Reply]
EricF 03:41 PM 04-21-2012
I agree with Mark.

I think you might need to bring your RH down and that should fix your problem.

Use either the salt test or buy a Boveda calibration kit for 3 or 4 dollars . This will make sure your hygro is telling you the right RH!
[Reply]
trendo 03:44 PM 04-21-2012
Originally Posted by mkarnold1:
I generally keep mine around 65% and they smoke pretty well. The sticks may just be a little wet. Have you calibrated the hygrometer? If it's reading low the humidity may be upwards of 75% which is too high.
:-) Sounds like a humidity issue. I used to use that gel stuff, ended up having too much humidity, and even mold. Pick up some 65 percent beads, you wont be sorry
[Reply]
IlmProcess 03:53 PM 04-21-2012
Originally Posted by trendo:
:-) Sounds like a humidity issue. I used to use that gel stuff, ended up having too much humidity, and even mold. Pick up some 65 percent beads, you wont be sorry
:-)

65% beads will do you well
[Reply]
bobarian 04:06 PM 04-21-2012
Try dryboxing a few before you smoke. Just put a couple of cigars in an empty box without humidification for 2-3 days. This should lower the Rh and they should stay lit. :-)
[Reply]
NeuRon 04:40 PM 04-21-2012
as stated earlier.. try dryboxing for a day or two, and see if you still have those problems.. id bet they are just way too wet
[Reply]
EKennett 07:24 AM 04-25-2012
Thanks for the advice guys, I will give those 65% beads a shot.
[Reply]
Up