Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
General Discussion>Let's See Those Insect Photographs...
Mr B 03:51 PM 09-03-2010
These guys guarded my Tomatoes last season. Their leg span was about the size of a Silver Dollar. They laid 2 egg sacs the size of golf balls in my tomatoes. The new spawn has hatched and are setting up shop in this years veggies. Those are Yellow Jackets in the one web.

[Reply]
Mr B 03:53 PM 09-03-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
I took these pictures on a camping trip last summer. I believe it's a Polyphemus moth.

Beautiful!!
[Reply]
Mr B 03:54 PM 09-03-2010
Awesome pics guys!
[Reply]
markem 04:10 PM 09-03-2010
This one is just plain strange. I included a link to the site that posted the pic

http://hubpages.com/hub/Strange-and-Funny-Insects
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:44 PM 09-03-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Yeah, I don't know the name of that spider Brent, but have had them setting up shop in my Tomatoes too. Always figure there's enough room for everyone:-)
[Reply]
E.J. 07:21 AM 09-04-2010

He is one I took a while back....
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 03:01 PM 09-04-2010
Nice looking mantis shot EJ...
[Reply]
SterlingCigarMan 07:06 PM 09-04-2010
This was in the back yard.

[Reply]
BTcigars 03:21 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
These guys guarded my Tomatoes last season. Their leg span was about the size of a Silver Dollar. They laid 2 egg sacs the size of golf balls in my tomatoes. The new spawn has hatched and are setting up shop in this years veggies. Those are Yellow Jackets in the one web.

Anyone know the name of these spiders? There is a park in my area that has a large foot bridge and the setup shop there. Ive seen them attact some large bees before!
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 05:10 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by BTcigars:
Anyone know the name of these spiders? There is a park in my area that has a large foot bridge and the setup shop there. Ive seen them attact some large bees before!
Cross Spider Araneus diadematus
Also known as European garden spider, Diadem spider, or Cross Orbweaver
Family Araneidae (Orb Weavers)
Description: The Cross Spider or Garden Spider is a very common and well-known orb-weaver spider in Western Europe. Individual spiders can range from light yellow, to orange-brown or dark grey, but all European garden spiders have mottled markings across the back with five or more large white dots forming a cross. Usually, the cross-like markings are quite visible. The mother puts eggs in a small coccon, which looks more like a little web.
How big are they? Adult females range in length from 6.5 to 20 millimeters, and the males are 5.5 to 13 millimeters long.
Range / Habitat: Introduced in the United States from Western and Northern Europe. The cross spider lives in parts of North America, in a range extending from New England and the Southeast to California and the Northwestern United States and adjacent parts of Canada.
The cross spider is common in a wide range of habitats, including gardens, meadows, woodland clearings and hedgerows. It is commonly encountered next to buildings with exterior lighting. The spiders can be found in lighted stairwells of structures in rural areas.
Diet: flying insects, such as, flies and mosquitoes.
[Reply]
BTcigars 02:30 PM 09-06-2010
Very cool, Mark. Thanks!
[Reply]
HK3- 11:38 AM 09-07-2010
Yesterday when I was watering my garden I saw something running around on the ground and I thought it was a wounded hummingbird.... Biggest moth i've ever seen that wasn't a luna moth.

[Reply]
Mr B 12:36 PM 09-07-2010
Wow Hal, that moth is fricking huge!

Thanks for the info Mark. I brought another real big one home form the park on Sun. He already set up shop in my Wisteria out front.
[Reply]
Mr B 12:39 PM 09-07-2010
Very cool pic of the Mantis E.J. I usually hatch 2-3 Mantis eggs in my yard every year. They are laying egg sacs naturally now and my kids find them down the street at their friends houses too.
My area is not a usuall spot for these to occure naturally. Its a little cold here in the evenings, but they seem to do well now.
[Reply]
Ratters 12:14 AM 09-08-2010
[Reply]
Shemp Howard 04:30 AM 09-08-2010
Originally Posted by E.J.:

He is one I took a while back....
I see you've met my mother in law.
[Reply]
Hippi3Slay3r 04:53 AM 09-08-2010
Heres a pic of my P. Regalis (Indian Ornamental)
Her name is Shagahod and as you can see from the pic she is a monster ^^
I dont recomend holding this species im stupid do not copy me :-)
[Reply]
HK3- 08:37 AM 09-20-2010
I know, it's not an insect... I found this little guy hiding inside my sprinkler control box mounted on the side of the house. From what I can tell it looks like a rat snake. Really wanted to grab him but I wondered if he was safe to touch. After finding out, he was gone when I returned to pick him up.

[Reply]
BTcigars 05:28 PM 09-20-2010
Originally Posted by HK3-:
I know, it's not an insect... I found this little guy hiding inside my sprinkler control box mounted on the side of the house. From what I can tell it looks like a rat snake. Really wanted to grab him but I wondered if he was safe to touch. After finding out, he was gone when I returned to pick him up.

You were wondering about safety when picked up a wild and potentially dangerous reptile?! Wuss :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:48 PM 09-20-2010
Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r:
Heres a pic of my P. Regalis (Indian Ornamental) Her name is Shagahod and as you can see from the pic she is a monster ^^I dont recomend holding this species im stupid do not copy me :-)
That's one big and fuzzy spider Kyle...:-)

Originally Posted by HK3-:
I know, it's not an insect... I found this little guy hiding inside my sprinkler control box mounted on the side of the house. From what I can tell it looks like a rat snake. Really wanted to grab him but I wondered if he was safe to touch. After finding out, he was gone when I returned to pick him up...
Even though not venomous, they apparently do have a decent bite:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up