Page 68 of 270
« First < 1858666768 697078118168 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
Gonesledn 01:29 PM 11-07-2010
a little product info on it...

http://www.bbqpits.com/backyard_smokers/20x40_byc.htm
[Reply]
joeobx 01:37 PM 11-07-2010
Actually, the stack extension and the sleeve I placed inside helped me tune the temperature a bit. Whit the just the "stock" stack, it didn't draw quiet enough. I have another extesion (that doubles the extension) but then it draws too fast. With just theone it seems to work much better IMHO, YMMV.

When your talking about increasing the draw you mean be able to raise the temp ? That seems to be the biggest problem I have with mine, kinda hard to get it above 200.
[Reply]
Steve 01:45 PM 11-07-2010
Originally Posted by Gonesledn:
yep, its a Klose. build date is 04'

about 7' long, 6' high, and weighs about 1000 pounds. has the sausage rack, 40" tube, steak grill, minion "s" chartcoal basket.

needs a good cleaning, but well worth what i stole it for i think.
I thought it looked like one of Dave's. Very nice unit! I hope you enjoy the heck out of that thing!
[Reply]
Steve 01:53 PM 11-07-2010
Originally Posted by joeobx:
When your talking about increasing the draw you mean be able to raise the temp ? That seems to be the biggest problem I have with mine, kinda hard to get it above 200.
Yes, and holding a steady temperature. It just didn't seem to move the air from the firebox thru the smoke chamber and out the stack. I have 6" of rolled up flashing in side the stack in the smoke chamber (cooking area) that extends down to about 1" above the grate.Then I put a section of water heater stack on the stack to crate a ventura effect. as the hot air goes up the stack, it picks up velocity pulling more fresh air into the firebox. I start the charcoal with the end vents all of the way open, then once I get a good burn, I can close the firebox vent down to about half way. Before the mods, I had to run the vents wide open and the fire still just seemed to solder. without a good fire, you obviously can't keep temperatures up, plus you risk creating creosote (condensation from the smoke) in the smoke chamber which drips onto your food and causes a bitter flavor.

I hope this helps!
[Reply]
joeobx 02:08 PM 11-07-2010
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try. I have run a piece of dryer vent inside down to the grate. Been having to build a bonfire though to get it above 200-210. I've also installed a piece of channel inside and cut different size peices sheet metal to tune and at least the temps even across the grate.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:35 PM 11-07-2010
Originally Posted by steve:
I thought it looked like one of Dave's. Very nice unit! I hope you enjoy the heck out of that thing!
I recognized the pit too. That is one hell of a pick up at nearly any price!!! Nice job brother:-)
[Reply]
Gonesledn 04:29 PM 11-07-2010
i think i am going to have to make more friends to cook for... and hope i can turn out some grub that is as tasty as the rest of you guys!
[Reply]
Steve 05:40 PM 11-07-2010
Originally Posted by joeobx:
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try. I have run a piece of dryer vent inside down to the grate. Been having to build a bonfire though to get it above 200-210. I've also installed a piece of channel inside and cut different size peices sheet metal to tune and at least the temps even across the grate.
Joe, Are you using the thermometer that is on the pit or are you using an oven thermometer or remote thermometer in the pit? The thermometer that is on my pit has to read between 350* and 450*F for me to get a 225* temperature at my cooking grates. I use a remote thermometer so that I can crash out in my truck and sleep when doing really long cooks on my Lang and still know what my cooker is doing.

Here is a close-up of the flashing that I placed inside my stack to lower the stack closer to teh food grates. If you get it too far down I found that it didn't work quiet the way I wanted it to. About an inch to inch and a half works best for me. Like I have said before, a lot of playing around a testing. But that is also a part of the fun. It's kind of like back when I hotrodded car.

[Reply]
Steve 05:41 PM 11-07-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
I recognized the pit too. That is one hell of a pick up at nearly any price!!! Nice job brother:-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Steve 05:48 PM 11-07-2010
i think i am going to have to make more friends to cook for... and hope i can turn out some grub that is as tasty as the rest of you guys!
Brent and I could travel, but I for one think it would be better this spring AFTER the Cicago snows!!!
[Reply]
joeobx 06:37 PM 11-07-2010
Steve, I picked up a couple thermometers from Lowes or Home Depot can't remember which but did test them with boiling water and they were right on ....drilled and mounted them just above the grates on each side of the lid. I would take some picks but the wife took the camera on a trip to AZ.
[Reply]
Steve 06:55 PM 11-07-2010
Here's another question Joe, what type of charcoal are you using; briquetts or lump? Lump burns hotter.

Also, does your fire box have a grate to hold the coal up off the bottom of the box? I have seen some that do not have a grate, or that have a grate that is tonarrow and only keeps the coal a little off of the bottom of the fire box. I picked up a larger grate (wider) that would let me lift the charcoal a little higher off the bottom. This gives me more room for the ash to drop thru and not "smother" the fire, and it lets more oxygen get to the fire.

It's not a big mod to the smoker, but it made a difference for me.
[Reply]
joeobx 07:31 PM 11-07-2010
Made my own out of a couple SS wok's, so I have plenty of space under. I've used both lump and briquettes only get about 5-10 deg difference. After seeing the extension I think that will be my next mod. I'll try to grab my work camera and post a couple of pics. I really appreciate all the help
[Reply]
LostAbbott 01:51 PM 11-11-2010
8lbs of Bacon. This is my second pork belly. I salt cured it for 5 days down in the basement and then cherry smoked it for about 8hrs.

Plus some elk rib meat from one I shot in 2006. Never knew what to do with it so I brined it for 5 days and smoked it for about 12hrs. It is kind of a pastrami flavor so I cut it super thin and cook it up and eat it on a sandwich, pretty good stuff... I smoked it flat and rolled it for slicing.

[Reply]
hscmit 01:54 PM 11-11-2010
that looks delish
[Reply]
Gonesledn 06:30 PM 11-12-2010
got it cleaned up today.... still needs some sanding and a coat of high temp black. probably do some ribs tomorrow for a test run.

Image[/
[Reply]
Gonesledn 06:31 PM 11-12-2010
]Image
Image[/
[Reply]
Gonesledn 06:33 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
8lbs of Bacon. This is my second pork belly. I salt cured it for 5 days down in the basement and then cherry smoked it for about 8hrs.

Plus some elk rib meat from one I shot in 2006. Never knew what to do with it so I brined it for 5 days and smoked it for about 12hrs. It is kind of a pastrami flavor so I cut it super thin and cook it up and eat it on a sandwich, pretty good stuff... I smoked it flat and rolled it for slicing.

looks dam tasty!
[Reply]
T.G 10:55 PM 11-12-2010
got it cleaned up today.... still needs some sanding and a coat of high temp black. probably do some ribs tomorrow for a test run.

Image[/

I'm envious Wes.

Can we be friends?
[Reply]
Partagaspete 05:31 AM 11-14-2010
Today I am trying to make some pulled chicken and a brisket.

M first two briskets were only so so. if anyone has any recommendation on what temp to put in i foil and what temp to pull it off it would be appreciated.
Attached: Chicken&Brisket.jpg (108.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 68 of 270
« First < 1858666768 697078118168 > Last »
Up