Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Elogio Excepcionales
Sam Leccia 11:23 AM 12-15-2011
I'm personally not a fan of cigars that taper on both ends, or for torpedoes really for that matter. I would certainly give it a try though.

I am a fan of it just being different. If all cigars were the same, there would be no need for a cigar forum.
[Reply]
Jonathan Drew 10:35 PM 12-15-2011
60 RG = NO Gimmick, period.

I smoke 5x50 and 6x52 .... what can I say .... LOL

Best,
JD
[Reply]
neoflex 09:00 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by DaBear:
We have more regulars come in for big ring gauge sticks than not at work. That said its all personal preference. They can smoke all the big ring gauges. Leaves more of the sizes I like for me
Here in Charlotte it seems guys prefer the bigger RGs too. The Larger RGs always sell twice as quickly as the thinner RGs. Anytime something new comes in the 60RGs sell out almost instantly while the other sizes take some time to move.
I myself can enjoy a good 60RG stick especially if the stick was blended for that size (ie Tatuaje Face or Grand Cojonu/JDN UZI) but will very rarely venture past that size. I tend to favor Toros the most as they give me the best of both worlds when it comes to flavor and burn time.
I myself find that Petite Coronas and Lanceros do often bring the best out in a blend but in the warmer months I shy away from them as I usually want something that will burn for at least an hour. Come Fall and Winter it's game on for the PC and Lancero game.
[Reply]
Silound 06:29 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by neoflex:
Here in Charlotte it seems guys prefer the bigger RGs too. The Larger RGs always sell twice as quickly as the thinner RGs. Anytime something new comes in the 60RGs sell out almost instantly while the other sizes take some time to move.
I myself can enjoy a good 60RG stick especially if the stick was blended for that size (ie Tatuaje Face or Grand Cojonu/JDN UZI) but will very rarely venture past that size. I tend to favor Toros the most as they give me the best of both worlds when it comes to flavor and burn time.
I myself find that Petite Coronas and Lanceros do often bring the best out in a blend but in the warmer months I shy away from them as I usually want something that will burn for at least an hour. Come Fall and Winter it's game on for the PC and Lancero game.
I suspect this particular phenomenon is associated largely with the "retail fever" and "value buyers." IE: People look at these smokes and either a) see a status symbol with a huge cigar, or b) buy it because the general price ranges for larger RG smokes are a minimal increase, compared to the difference between say a Toro and a Churchill. A smaller percentage, definitely a minority, really smoke the size because they genuinely enjoy it for a particular reason.

This is mostly from my own experience and observations running a B&M, it is by no means a declaration of fact, but I saw most 60+RG smokes sell to people who generally see "a cigar as a cigar." Most of them adamantly refused to spend more than $2-4 per stick unless it was a massive log, and many (and I mean MANY) first-time buyers and beginning smokers automatically raced for those larger ring or extra-long smokes, bypassing anything that wasn't clichéd.

I fondly remember one guy comes in with his friend...both in their early 20's. He was a regular, his buddy was a first-timer. The buddy insisted on a LFD Digger (8.5x60 and potent), admitting that his choice was based on it looking "more manly" than what I was recommending. About 10 minutes and 2 inches of furious puffing later, it hit him and they had to leave. Our regular came back later that day and told the tale. Sadly I felt bad for the kid rather than amused at the story...that's one lost customer and one less cigar smoker to stand up for it.
[Reply]
Garbandz 06:55 AM 12-17-2011
Some folks have to learn the hard way.......you tried to warn him ,next time he will listen..
[Reply]
kuzi16 10:07 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by Sam Leccia:
I'm personally not a fan of cigars that taper on both ends, or for torpedoes really for that matter. I would certainly give it a try though.

I am a fan of it just being different. If all cigars were the same, there would be no need for a cigar forum.
thats interesting because i am a huge fan of perfectos. the constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio makes for a complex smoke IMHO. howerver, the burn issues that tend to come along with the perfecto i could do without.
[Reply]
Garbandz 05:32 AM 12-18-2011
What he said.....
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up