Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Transporting A 42" Plasma TV
pnoon 08:34 AM 06-09-2011
I just bought a new TV.

My daughter inherits my 42" plasma. She has a midsize SUV and a 70 mile drive home.

My research shows mixed opinions on transporting it flat (screen side down) and transporting it upright.

I'm inclined to have her place it screen side down on top of a comforter for cushion and support.

What do you all think?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
markem 08:40 AM 06-09-2011
That's how I've always moved flat screen TVs.
[Reply]
kydsid 08:41 AM 06-09-2011
I'll take option C Alex. Flat screen side up or prefferably upright with the screen facing out using a blanket to cushion straps or rope needed to keep it from falling over.

My experience with all flat panels, lcd, or plasma is I don't want anything putting pressure on the screen side while transported, I would never move one screen down.

And I have to say two different professional movers moved it in the latter method, covered in blankets upright both times, while a third moved it flat screen up. But the flat move was more an issue of packing orientation that what they preffered.
[Reply]
markem 08:44 AM 06-09-2011
Doh! Check the owner's manual - might be one online.

I just checked the manual for my LCD TV and it says not to transport laying flat. Yours may have a similar restriction.
[Reply]
HK3- 08:45 AM 06-09-2011
I've always layed them screen face down on something soft. :-)

Sooooooo, if she got the 42 plasma... what did Peter get? :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:01 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by HK3-:
I've always layed them screen face down on something soft. :-)

Sooooooo, if she got the 42 plasma... what did Peter get? :-)
From the looks of this thread, probably a headache.

:-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:04 AM 06-09-2011
Peter -

Is there a best buy or other retailer that does installs nearby? You could ask them if they have an empty box & packing that was cleaned up from one of their installs.
[Reply]
cle_smoker 09:14 AM 06-09-2011
I've always read to transport them upright. If flat and you go over a bump, you have the weight of the TV pressing against the glass and it could break. There is also the risk of warping which can cause breakage. I don't know this from personal experience, but a couple of home electronics forums I read have this general consensus.
[Reply]
jjirons69 09:19 AM 06-09-2011
Upright only - safest route. Too much going on inside for laying down and you can't predict road or traffic conditions.

I had to sign a waver when I bought my last TV that I would transport it home upright - otherwise the warranty was void.
[Reply]
G G 09:24 AM 06-09-2011
Gotta transport it vertically. Here is a link to a quick answer although there are probably more in depth ones out there. And this appears to be much more crucial with plasma than others.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0092950AAlinm3
[Reply]
pnoon 09:24 AM 06-09-2011
Thanks for all the feedback.
Mixed opinions here as well.

The set is 5 years old so I am willing to assume SOME risk.

Just haven't made up my mind yet.

If I go the upright route, what is the best way to secure it inside the SUV?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
King James 09:29 AM 06-09-2011
I've always thought upright was the safest, but would also check the manual. When I've moved my tv I wrapped a blanket around it and then taped around the blanket to secure it. Then just made sure it was positioned so it could not tip over. 3 moves and no problems
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:32 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
If I go the upright route, what is the best way to secure it inside the SUV? Posted via Mobile Device
For me, I would place it upright in the rear seat with the front facing forwards; place a lite sheet/blanket over the top protecting the screen; you can use the over-the-shoulder seatbelts to secure the television to the rear seat:-)

[Reply]
justonemorestick 09:33 AM 06-09-2011
Most SUVs have tiedowns in the back you might have to check under the floor mats If not improvise something tie off to the seat support legs before laying seat down and secure to the seat belts etc.

And I would move it vertically that way any stresses goes into the frame of the tv and not into the screen.
[Reply]
mmblz 09:35 AM 06-09-2011
i always save the box/packing.
really helpful, i know :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:37 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
If I go the upright route, what is the best way to secure it inside the SUV?
Posted via Mobile Device
Best? Not sure. But I used pillows & comforters around cardboard boxes to wedge one for transport once. We wrapped the tv in stretch film (like super-duper saran wrap for wrapping cargo pallets) with a sheet of thin foam over the glass to protect it from nicks prior to loading.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:39 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Best? Not sure. But I used pillows & comforters around cardboard boxes to wedge one for transport once. We wrapped the tv in stretch film (like super-duper saran wrap for wrapping cargo pallets) with a sheet of thin foam over the glass to protect it from nicks prior to loading.

:-)...Peter, have Adam sit in the back seat and hold the dam thing too:-)

[Reply]
T.G 09:45 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
:-)...Peter, have Adam sit in the back seat and hold the dam thing too:-)

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

I have to go potty.

Are we there yet?
[Reply]
poker 10:02 AM 06-09-2011
not like this :-)

[Reply]
pnoon 10:05 AM 06-09-2011
The other factor I forgot to mention is that I will not be around to oversee/supervise the operation.
So easy is preferable.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up