Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 36 of 39
« First < 26343536 3738 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
BlkDrew 05:33 AM 02-21-2016
Perfectly fine to build the exterior out of mahogany. Usually humidor a are made from a variety of woods, and then lined with Spanish cedar.
[Reply]
T.G 09:16 AM 02-21-2016
Originally Posted by Amr:
Hi!

I'm building a humidor. Did some research and as many would recommend will make the interiors of Spanish cidar. My question is: is it OK to build the outer box completely out of mahogany? Thanks in advance!
You can build the whole thing out of mahogany if you want. Spanish cedar is not a cedar, it's actually in the mahogany family. At one time, humidors used to be built entirely out of mahogany, spanish cedar came to prevalence due to it's lower cost and greater availability.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:47 AM 02-21-2016
Deja vu all over again?
[Reply]
Amr 01:09 PM 02-21-2016
Originally Posted by BlkDrew:
Perfectly fine to build the exterior out of mahogany. Usually humidor a are made from a variety of woods, and then lined with Spanish cedar.
Many thanks
[Reply]
Amr 01:10 PM 02-21-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
You can build the whole thing out of mahogany if you want. Spanish cedar is not a cedar, it's actually in the mahogany family. At one time, humidors used to be built entirely out of mahogany, spanish cedar came to prevalence due to it's lower cost and greater availability.
Many thanks
[Reply]
luther 12:58 AM 08-07-2016
If I seasoned my humidor with Boveda packs can I later on switch to a humidifier? Vice versa for that matter. My first humidor I seasoned by wiping it down, etc and using a humidifier. Can I switch that one to Boveda packs?

Thanks
[Reply]
luther 12:59 AM 08-07-2016
Purchased a second humidor (25-30 count) and I seasoned it for two weeks with 84% packs. I have about 15 sticks in there with 72% packs (I now have three) and the humidity level won't raise past 66%. I have a digital (rectangular xicar 833XI that can not be calibrated). These supposedly come pre calibrated and there isn't even a calibration button to push.

Anyway, first time using the Boveda packs and I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are that the 72% packs have not raised the level past 66%.

Thanks
[Reply]
massphatness 05:41 AM 08-07-2016
Couple thoughts:

* I've never had an issue with Boveda packs but that doesn't mean you don't have mis-calibrated packs

* Your humidor may be leaking humidity because of a bad seal. I'm hoping smarter guys than me can offer suggestions on how to test.

* Salt test your hygrometer - you may find that its reading is off and you'll need to account for that when looking at the display. If you're unfamiliar with the salt test method, use the search function here. Pretty sure there's a how-to thread. Boveda also sells a hygrometer test kit that allows you seal your device in a bag for a couple days to check the veracity of the reading.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
pnoon 07:51 AM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by massphatness:
* Salt test your hygrometer - you may find that its reading is off and you'll need to account for that when looking at the display. If you're unfamiliar with the salt test method, use the search function here. Pretty sure there's a how-to thread. Boveda also sells a hygrometer test kit that allows you seal your device in a bag for a couple days to check the veracity of the reading.
Posted via Mobile Device
Absolutely the first thing you should do. Also, make sure you have a digital hygrometer. The analog ones are just for show and are grossly inaccurate.
[Reply]
luther 08:30 AM 08-07-2016
I have a digital. There is not a calibration button on my new digital. I have done the salt test before but have always pushed the calibration button on my other digital. Make sense?
[Reply]
markem 10:03 AM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by luther:
I have a digital. There is not a calibration button on my new digital. I have done the salt test before but have always pushed the calibration button on my other digital. Make sense?
I have a digital with several remotes (Oregon Scientific). What I do is salt test them but then remember how far off they are. One is almost spot on and one is 1-1.5 % high on each testing. I number them to keep them straight. Btw, I salt test for 48 hours usually as that allows the whole environment better time to stabilize. I use a small tupperware like container.

Your hygrometer does NOT have to be perfect, it just has to be stable. If 72% is equal to 66% (after you check with a salt test, that is), then you know to subtract 6% to get the true reading. After a while, you will know that "when the gauge reads X" is where I like my sticks.

For example, the hygrometer unit that came with my Aristocrat is set to 60% right now. The hygrometer that is nearby reads 58%. The once at the bottom of the MX reads 59%. The one at the bottom is the one that is off, so I think that it is actually 2-3% higher at the top than bottom, based on calibrated results over many years. I don't sweat that they all read different because I know my humidor.

After time, you will also trust your humidor more than your gauges, provided you don't have any leaks.

Best of luck!
[Reply]
luther 10:20 AM 08-07-2016
Salt test should have it reading 75% correct?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:26 AM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by luther:
Salt test should have it reading 75% correct?
Correct :-)
[Reply]
luther 10:31 AM 08-07-2016
So after the salt test if my hygrometer reads 70% I simply add 5% to the reading after it is placed in my humidor?

Appreciate all the insight!
[Reply]
T.G 10:34 AM 08-07-2016
Yup
[Reply]
luther 09:02 PM 08-07-2016
Did a salt test for both of my hygrometers. My old one is registering 68% with 69% Boveda packs in one humidor and my new one reads 66% with 72% packs. My new hygrometer read 7% below my old one. 66 + 7 = 73 so I'm close.

So, I think I'm good to go. Thanks for your help!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:59 PM 08-08-2016
:-) Did you sign up for the NST (newbie sampler trade) in the new members area? It's a wonderful thing!
[Reply]
luther 07:32 PM 08-08-2016
No but I will go check it out. Thx
[Reply]
luther 10:04 PM 08-11-2016
Let me start off by saying I do not have beetles in either of my humidors but I still have a concern. I keep reading that my humidor should be at 70 degrees to prevent the bugs. However, we keep our AC set at around 74 or 75 to prevent insane energy costs. Am I taking a huge risk here? I have had my old humidor for ten years and have had no problems. If it matters as far as answers I live in the Midwest. Thanks!
[Reply]
icehog3 11:58 PM 08-11-2016
Is there a cooler spot in your place that you can keep the humidors? Opinions may vary on how great the risk, but the risk is certainly there.
[Reply]
Page 36 of 39
« First < 26343536 3738 > Last »
Up