Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Plug in Humidor that Works
KSRCigar 11:15 AM 03-21-2017
Hi all... I've used cigar oases, beads, floral foam, to no avail. Is there a plug in humidor that just works, period. Maybe adding water at relatively long-term intervals? Oh, that is not $2000+ in price? I have not seen anything on the market.
[Reply]
Zane 11:20 AM 03-21-2017
Welcome! If you could describe your setup we might be able to give you some good advice. What kind of humidor you have and size?
[Reply]
KSRCigar 11:41 AM 03-21-2017
I had cigar oasis in a 6 drawer & glass top Trinidad branded humidor (think it was a all inclusive bundle with Trinidad cigars all sizes). Looked like my retailer took the cigars to sell and then sold the humidor as a side-item. Had a cigar oasis which began to smell like mildew after about 1 month. Also, it overhumidified the cigars near the unit if set high enough to humidify the far reaches of the humidor. And vice-versa with underhumidifying the far reaches if set to humidify properly near the unit. I then switched over to the gel-polymer beads with 2 wet sponges. Did not do too terribly, but needed frequent refilling and had the same over-under based on vicinity. I am working on developing a plug & play system that is foolproof. But want to see if there is a market for it. I'm certain nothing exists that doesn't use a sophisticated system of sensors and is quite pricey.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 11:53 AM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by KSRCigar:
I had cigar oasis in a 6 drawer & glass top Trinidad branded humidor (think it was a all inclusive bundle with Trinidad cigars all sizes). Looked like my retailer took the cigars to sell and then sold the humidor as a side-item. Had a cigar oasis which began to smell like mildew after about 1 month. Also, it overhumidified the cigars near the unit if set high enough to humidify the far reaches of the humidor. And vice-versa with underhumidifying the far reaches if set to humidify properly near the unit. I then switched over to the gel-polymer beads with 2 wet sponges. Did not do too terribly, but needed frequent refilling and had the same over-under based on vicinity. I am working on developing a plug & play system that is foolproof. But want to see if there is a market for it. I'm certain nothing exists that doesn't use a sophisticated system of sensors and is quite pricey.
Many folks use a small muffin style fan to keep air circulating around. A lot of use use the dry style beads or Boveda packets rather than the gel. That's largely a decision based on the % RH you want. But first, you need to make sure your box is reasonably airtight.
[Reply]
stearns 12:11 PM 03-21-2017
Hard to tell the size based on your description, but it sounds like the oasis would be way too much humidification and could lead to mold, especially if there isn't enough room for the humidified air to spread out

I've shared my secret before, it's worked perfectly for me for many years now in both my cooler and my vino - use twice as many beads as are required and spray the inside of the door/lid whenever it feels like I haven't done it in a while. By doing this I've thrown away all hygrometers and never have humidity issues. It might not work for everybody, but it works perfectly for me and I won't be changing unless I get a humidor big enough to warrant an active system
[Reply]
T.G 12:33 PM 03-21-2017
I have a foolproof solution: HCM beads and a humidor that doesn't leak.

If you lost that much water from the polymer beads, which aren't actually beads, they are a gel, that fast, then your humidor is about as airtight as a patio screen door.

---
Edit: I just re-read the thread title, "Plug in Humidor that Works". Yes, precisely. It's your humidor that isn't working right.
[Reply]
Subvet642 03:16 PM 03-21-2017
A Colman cooler and 2 lbs of Heartfelt beads. Rock solid 65% RH and nearly maintenance free.:-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:23 PM 03-21-2017
My first two questions, did you use distilled water in the all of your different humidification fails and along the other Adams line of thought, did you seal around the glass with some food safe silicone?
[Reply]
T.G 09:32 PM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
My first two questions, did you use distilled water in the all of your different humidification fails and along the other Adams line of thought, did you seal around the glass with some food safe silicone?
Don't forget sealing all 6 of the drawers. Typically, exposed drawers leak heavily.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:34 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by T.G:
Don't forget sealing all 6 of the drawers. Typically, exposed drawers leak heavily.
I'm thinking duct tape for those.
[Reply]
Greentud 07:48 AM 03-22-2017
Did you season the humidor before use?
[Reply]
T.G 07:55 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I'm thinking duct tape for those.
I'm thinking liquid nails.
[Reply]
SteveH 08:32 AM 03-22-2017
Understand your frustration. Right now I'm trying the Avallo Accumonitor, with the additional fan timer.
[Reply]
goatfarmer 03:58 PM 03-24-2017
As a beginner I used beads, a variety of storage container, 2 desk top humidors, and vinotemp cooler, in my case, acquired a collection of precious cigars and found it too labor intensive trying to maintain an ideal environment. Over 35 years ago decided to take the plunge down the infamous slippery sloop and spent $1800 for an end table humidor 'Reliant' from a manufacturer who still remains in business. They do offer a less expensive version 'Sentinel' for around $1200, I am not familiar with this style, nor have I read any of the customer reviews, whether the features are similar/same as the 'Reliant' I do not know?

IMO, best purchase I have ever made, as hassle free as it gets, control panel to adjust desired humidity level, red light comes on to let me know it's time to add distilled water, that is it. The manufacturer recommends changing the $15 filter and 'bactirastatat solution' $15, every 6 months, I probably get around to it once per year, if that. Anyhow, for what it's worth decided to add my $.02.
[Reply]
Up