Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor issue with tempreature
jetsman2806 09:30 AM 06-10-2013
hi everyone got a quick question as i have searched everywhere and dont seem to be finding an answer.

In the process of seasoning my new humidor its now day 7 following the procedure that was stated in the sticky above.

I have the hydrometer in the unit and everything is looking good so far as regards humidity as its around 76% but the temperature is in the mid 80's. I have tried moving the unit to different parts of the house but I cant seem to get the temp below 80. And from everything i read 80 and above is too hot to store them.

Can anyone think of a way I can get the temp down?

I am not worried about the humidity as i have beads on order and should bring the unit below the 75% once i get them in.

Any ideas?
[Reply]
363 10:00 AM 06-10-2013
I had the same issue with temp issues and ended up buying a wine cooler and using that instead, allowing me to temp control my stash.
[Reply]
big_jaygee 10:04 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by 363:
I had the same issue with temp issues and ended up buying a wine cooler and using that instead, allowing me to temp control my stash.
i agree. the room my humidor was in would get too hot during the day so i finally said to hell with it and bought the wine cooler.
[Reply]
jetsman2806 10:04 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by 363:
I am gonna try one more thing and put it in my closet and see if that helps drop the temp. but I took another hydrometer and left it out in the room where its currently located and that reads between 81-88 during the day and as low as 65 at night.
[Reply]
jetsman2806 10:06 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
i agree. the room my humidor was in would get too hot during the day so i finally said to hell with it and bought the wine cooler.
well i do have a wine cooler at home problem is there is wine in it lol
[Reply]
equetefue 10:08 AM 06-10-2013
seems to me that you figured it out and have yourself a long day ahead sipping on wine :-)
[Reply]
jetsman2806 10:16 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by equetefue:
seems to me that you figured it out and have yourself a long day ahead sipping on wine :-)

yea i also have a mini fridge but i guess thats out of the question lol
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:24 AM 06-10-2013
If you freeze your cigars (to prevent beetles from hatching) the high temperatures should not be as big an issue.
[Reply]
equetefue 10:25 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
If you freeze your cigars (to prevent beetles from hatching) the high temperatures should not be as big an issue.
agreed, but I wouldnt personally risk it still. That's just me though:-)
[Reply]
jetsman2806 10:31 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:

I read up on that, but that would mean i wont be able to smoke them for a few weeks once they are out of the freezer as they would need to rehydrate correct?
[Reply]
bobarian 10:54 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by equetefue:
agreed, but I wouldnt personally risk it still. That's just me though:-)
Please advise why you think there is ANY risk to freezing cigars? I have been freezing my cigars for the past 3 years with no affect on flavor or construction. :-)

Originally Posted by jetsman2806:
I read up on that, but that would mean i wont be able to smoke them for a few weeks once they are out of the freezer as they would need to rehydrate correct?
No. The freezing cycle is 24(Fridge) 72(Freezer) 24(Fridge). After this they can be returned to your humidor and smoked immediately. Freezing for such a short period will not affect the Rh of your cigars. If you are worried about running out of cigars to smoke, just leave a few out of the freezer and store in a ziplock bag. :-)
[Reply]
jetsman2806 11:06 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Please advise why you think there is ANY risk to freezing cigars? I have been freezing my cigars for the past 3 years with no affect on flavor or construction. :-)

No. The freezing cycle is 24(Fridge) 72(Freezer) 24(Fridge). After this they can be returned to your humidor and smoked immediately. Freezing for such a short period will not affect the Rh of your cigars. If you are worried about running out of cigars to smoke, just leave a few out of the freezer and store in a ziplock bag. :-)

cool thanks for the clarification. i guess if i cant get the temp down its one of 2 options the other requiring me to empty my wine chiller lol
[Reply]
markem 11:56 AM 06-10-2013
I'm a little confused by some of what you wrote, so please bear with me.

It is the humidity in the room that is going up in to the 80s or the temp. A hygrometer measures RH, not temp, but the hygrometer may also have a temp sensor (my Oregon scientific ones do).

If the ambient temp in the room is consistently high, then the temp in the humidor will be high. Remember that it is a fairly airtight container, so once the wood heats up, it won't radiate all that much away over night.

If high temps are a fact of life in your home, then a wine cooler (ask around here as there are many that will not work) is the affordable way to go. You can even put the whole humidor in there if you wish.

If the temp in the humidor is well above (5*+) of the ambient room temp, then open the humidor for a while to get the temp down.

Very best of luck on your setup. I'm fortunate to live in an area where temp isn't really a problem. Also, cigarnut is an excellent source for beads and not just because I herf with him.
[Reply]
jetsman2806 12:13 PM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by markem:
I'm a little confused by some of what you wrote, so please bear with me.

It is the humidity in the room that is going up in to the 80s or the temp. A hygrometer measures RH, not temp, but the hygrometer may also have a temp sensor (my Oregon scientific ones do).

If the ambient temp in the room is consistently high, then the temp in the humidor will be high. Remember that it is a fairly airtight container, so once the wood heats up, it won't radiate all that much away over night.

If high temps are a fact of life in your home, then a wine cooler (ask around here as there are many that will not work) is the affordable way to go. You can even put the whole humidor in there if you wish.

If the temp in the humidor is well above (5*+) of the ambient room temp, then open the humidor for a while to get the temp down.

Very best of luck on your setup. I'm fortunate to live in an area where temp isn't really a problem. Also, cigarnut is an excellent source for beads and not just because I herf with him.

sorry if i was unclear.
i have 2 hydrometers a reg dial one that came with the humidor, and a digital that has a temp & humidity readout.

both show the humidity in the humidor around 76%, fluctuates between 76-79% but i am sure the beads i ordered will remedy that.

The digital shows the temp during the day in the humidor between 80-88 degrees.

On sunday i took it out to measure the room temp (it was rather hot yesterday) at times the room hit close to 95 degrees(living in the tropics). With the ac on it brought it down to around 80 degrees.
[Reply]
jetsman2806 06:11 PM 06-11-2013
i think i figured out a temp solution.

at night i will leave it open for a few hours in the a/c to get the temp down and close it up so that in the morning when the full heat of the day starts it should be good enough to hold it to below 80.

testing out the theory tonight.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:28 PM 06-11-2013
You may find yourself fighting Rh with this "solution" It sure seems like freezing in batches would be a more effective long term fix. :-) :-)
[Reply]
jetsman2806 06:30 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
You may find yourself fighting Rh with this "solution" It sure seems like freezing in batches would be a more effective long term fix. :-) :-)
yea thats probably gonna be what i am going to end up doing. i have a few sticks at the moment stored in a travel humidor so until i figure it out i am gonna keep them in there.

i have some on the way from atlantic within the next couple of days so those will be the first ones to hit the freezer once they arrive
[Reply]
Up