Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Havana Retractable Cigar Punches
PenguinsFan88 05:33 PM 05-10-2012
How are they in terms of quality and reliability???

A friend of mine just told me that a smoke shop close by here has just started selling them for about $9.00

Was thinking of grabbing one to replace my pretty dull $2 cheapie punch.

Yay or nay?

Here's a little Youtube video demonstrating them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNfJvMz_B1c
[Reply]
jluck 05:50 PM 05-10-2012
I have a few of them. There fine for large RG cigars, not worth a darn for skinny's
[Reply]
68TriShield 06:05 PM 05-10-2012
It's nine bucks,try one :-)
[Reply]
PenguinsFan88 06:13 PM 05-10-2012
Would they be OK for Romeo Y Julieta #2 Tubos? As those are one of my favourite cigars. :-)

What ring gauge are you referring to when you say skinny's?
[Reply]
68TriShield 06:15 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan88:
Would they be OK for Romeo Y Julieta #2 Tubos? As those are one of my favourite cigars. :-)

What ring gauge are you referring to when you say skinny's?
under a 40 or 42 RG.Your mileage may vary.
[Reply]
PenguinsFan88 07:21 PM 05-10-2012
What is the ring gauge is 42 like how R&J #'s are exactly?

Cohiba Siglo's I, II, and III, are all 42 as well.
[Reply]
shilala 07:38 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
It's nine bucks,try one :-)
I was gonna say the same thing. We're not taking out a mortgage here. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 07:41 PM 05-10-2012
I would punch a 42RG if I preferred that cut on a corona, but I prefer the guillotine cut on those. I use a punch on cigars over 50RG, or if something smaller is underfilled.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 07:53 PM 05-10-2012
I have one, don't use it much. I prefer my Palio and Xikar V cut, the punch gets the job done in a pinch.
[Reply]
Stinky 07:55 PM 05-10-2012
interesting.

I've had a Punch Cutter design in the concept mode for almost a year. We've just been busy with other product development. Mine will have 3 sized and all retract into a tube about the size of that plastic one in the video (above).

IMPORTANT:

When you look at Punch Cutters . . . what is the most important aspect of the cutter ? ? ?

ANSWER:
It's the blade! They all have hardened steel or hardened stainless steel blades. It's the Blades with the "Knife Taper" on the outside of the blade (outside of the barrel) that tend to split the head on your cigar!

Look a little closer at that punch! You might not think it matters, but look what happens when you push (and twist) that barrel (aka "punch") into the cap/head of your cigar. The knife cuts a circle and the blade pushes the cap out into a slightly larger diameter as it forces the barrel into the cap! S P L I T ! . . . another cracked head that you have to deal with.

A properly made punch cutter will have the knife taper on the inside of the barrel (the round knife cutter). Having the knife taper on the inside of the barrel will compress the 'plug' cutout and NOT push the cap (or head) of the cigar out causing it to split!

I see this kind of detail! And that's just another reason why . . . I'm Stinky!
[Reply]
Zeuceone 08:19 PM 05-10-2012
Very well said, Stinky...:-)
[Reply]
irratebass 09:36 PM 05-10-2012
I have one, I picked up the green one like in the video for $5 at my local B&M I have used it quite a bit on my vacation this week.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:41 PM 05-10-2012
This youtube video makes me NEVER want to purchase the product. Really you have to explain a keychain on a punch and the "nice attractive rubber plastic grip"

Dude even explains the properties of plastic, lightweight ...no kidding :-)

:-)

Seems like any other punch. I believe the 009's and 007 Xikars can be had for around ~$20 shipped from the monster with a lifetime warranty. I'll take that instead.
[Reply]
PenguinsFan88 10:40 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by irratebass:
I have one, I picked up the green one like in the video for $5 at my local B&M I have used it quite a bit on my vacation this week.
How's it treatin' ya? :-)
[Reply]
eber 08:25 AM 05-11-2012
I bought one with my last order from famous because it was so cheap, it works okay but as Stinky said, having the knife edge on the outside does make caps crack sometimes, especially on more delicate wrappers. If you use a punch for the majority of your sticks I would pick something a little nicer like a Xikar or even Cuban Crafters makes a very nice punch IMO
[Reply]
PenguinsFan88 08:35 AM 05-11-2012
Are those Xikar punches retractable??? Or do you unscrew them yourself, punch your cigar, then screw them back together when your done? Looked on Yoube for a video of somebody with one but found nothing.

I figure what the hell. I'll just get a Xikar punch when I move. Might cost me more in Canadian currency and or + shipping, but I don't feel like cracking the caps of my sticks. As I've said I only buy cigars occasionally so the last thing I want obviously is to drop $10-20 on a good smoke only to mess it up with a cheap punch.
[Reply]
bonjing 09:23 AM 05-11-2012
I think the one you might be looking for is the 007

http://www.xikar.com/products/cutters/007-punches/
[Reply]
PenguinsFan88 10:05 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by bonjing:
I think the one you might be looking for is the 007

http://www.xikar.com/products/cutters/007-punches/
IS that one retractable? Or do you unscrew it yourself, punch your cigar, then screw it back together when your done?

Was hoping I could find a Xikar punch like that Havana retractable where I could just press a button and the blade pops out, I punch my cigar, and I press the button again to pop the blade back in and the debris pops out after I'm done.

Does Xikar make one like that? I love that sort of concept.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:21 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan88:
IS that one retractable? Or do you unscrew it yourself, punch your cigar, then screw it back together when your done?

Was hoping I could find a Xikar punch like that Havana retractable where I could just press a button and the blade pops out, I punch my cigar, and I press the button again to pop the blade back in and the debris pops out after I'm done.

Does Xikar make one like that? I love that sort of concept.
From the page and pictures: you twist the punch and the blade is extracted or retracted. I have one of these and while I don't use it often it is easy to use and much more durable than the Havana and also has a much higher quality blade.
[Reply]
aich75013 11:10 AM 05-11-2012
What Michael said is correct. You twist it one way to make the blade extract; the other way to make the blade retract.
The pieces do not separate if that is what you are asking. It is one piece.

The 009 is a little different (besides being a larger diameter.) You pull it to make the blade extract. You push the pieces together to make the blade retract. The punch stays as one piece the whole time.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up