Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Ammodor question.
Blak Smyth 07:37 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
No, these are old US Military ammo cans. They are built to withstand harsh weather and keep everything sealed up inside.

This thing has a rubber lip under the lid and when you clamp it down, you can submerge it in water.

This should hold humidity like a tupperware container . Where I keep this box, it's always cool-cold. Think 75 degrees being the highest temp.
Tupperware containers do not hold great humidity, they are not insulated. I am not saying they will not be water proof. But the thin metal is not insulated like a humidor or cooler would be. The non-insulated sides would make the atmosphere inside more influenced my the atmosphere oputside. IMHO.
[Reply]
smitty81 07:41 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Tupperware containers do not hold great humidity, they are not insulated. I am not saying they will not be water proof. But the thin metal is not insulated like a humidor or cooler would be. The non-insulated sides would make the atmosphere inside more influenced my the atmosphere outside. IMHO.
Now I'm lost. :-)

From the time I have joined, everyone has told me that they do because of the airtight seal. The humidity has no where to go.

If your talking about humidity swings from temperature swings then I understand.

Don't have to worry about that though. The place I keep them is like a cellar for temperature. There is little fluctuation.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:17 AM 04-20-2012
Now I'm lost. :-)

From the time I have joined, everyone has told me that they do because of the airtight seal. The humidity has no where to go.

If your talking about humidity swings from temperature swings then I understand.

Don't have to worry about that though. The place I keep them is like a cellar for temperature. There is little fluctuation.
:-):-)
[Reply]
OLS 08:20 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Not trying to be flippant,
Yeah, that's MY JOB.
[Reply]
jluck 08:22 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Michael is absolutely correct, I got you and Isaiah mixed up. Sorry, my brother!!!
Thanks for covering for me, Michael!!! :-)
No worries shilala. I probably spew enough word vomit on this forum without taking others credit. :-)

No, these are old US Military ammo cans. They are built to withstand harsh weather and keep everything sealed up inside.

This thing has a rubber lip under the lid and when you clamp it down, you can submerge it in water.

This should hold humidity like a tupperware container . Where I keep this box, it's always cool-cold. Think 75 degrees being the highest temp.
You should be fine Josh. Season them trays and fill it up!
Which Michael??
(Cigarnut) He's a good dude with the best beads available. :-)
[Reply]
smitty81 08:31 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
(Cigarnut) He's a good dude with the best beads available. :-)
I thought so but I wanted to make sure before I sent him a PM that made no sense.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:34 AM 04-20-2012
Tupperware containers do not hold great humidity, they are not insulated. I am not saying they will not be water proof. But the thin metal is not insulated like a humidor or cooler would be. The non-insulated sides would make the atmosphere inside more influenced my the atmosphere oputside. IMHO.
This is not true. Any sealed container -- like Tupperware -- will do a good job holding humidity.

Most of us keep our humidors inside our homes where they are not subject to extremes of temperature and humidity which eliminates the need for heavy insulation.
[Reply]
Fia 12:46 PM 04-20-2012
I used to have an ammo can that I lined with 3/8" sp and it worked fine. Even traveled with it in the past. Got stopped at every security check point though!!! LOL
[Reply]
smitty81 01:05 PM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by Fia:
I used to have an ammo can that I lined with 3/8" sp and it worked fine. Even traveled with it in the past. Got stopped at every security check point though!!! LOL
I'd imagine you did. :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:11 PM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
This is not true. Any sealed container -- like Tupperware -- will do a good job holding humidity.

Most of us keep our humidors inside our homes where they are not subject to extremes of temperature and humidity which eliminates the need for heavy insulation.
Gotcha, I guess my thought process was telling me that since there is no insulation that the inside environment would be affected by the conditions outside much more rapidly than if it were insulated. But I see you are saying if it's indoors and the conditions are not changing it wouldn't matter. So let me ask a newb question. If I had a tupperware or ammo box with a RH of 70% and I sealed it with no source of humidification it would remain at 70% forever as long as it sealed water tight? Not being a smart ass, just wanting to know how it works exactly, and I think it is still on topic.

I had read that when the temperature of air is cooled or reduced the RH increases, and it seems since temperature change would affect a space that is not insulated I would assume (What an evil word assume is) that the RH would be affected as well?
[Reply]
smitty81 01:23 PM 04-20-2012
Gotcha, I guess my thought process was telling me that since there is no insulation that the inside environment would be affected by the conditions outside much more rapidly than if it were insulated. But I see you are saying if it's indoors and the conditions are not changing it wouldn't matter. So let me ask a newb question. If I had a tupperware container with a RH of 70% and I sealed it with no source of humidification it would remain at 70% forever as long as it sealed water tight? Not being a smart ass, just wanting to know how it works exactly, and I think it is still on topic.
I'm a noob so take this for what it's worth to you. :-)

Tupperware isn't 100% airtight, just much more so than that of a wooden humidor. The tupperware would (should) hold the 70% RH a lot longer than a wooden humidor as the tupperware is more of an airtight container.

With that said, no it would not hold the 70% rh forever because its not 100% airtight.

That is if we are assuming the enviroment is correct and it doesn't fluctuate.
[Reply]
smitty81 01:38 PM 04-20-2012
I am just reading some stuff that doesn't make sense to me, some stuff is conflicting and I am confused. Some stuff I read says that temp changes drastically affect RH so I would think that a seal might keep air in but the temp changes would change the RH regardless of the seal. Maybe I just can't comprehend what I am reading right now.
You are correct. The temp changes would affect the RH%. Even if its sealed up inside Tupperware, it would still change the percentage even though the RH is not leaving the container.

But as I am keeping this inside a mostly controlled environment, it should hold the RH well because of the air tight seal and it should hold the RH steady because of a constant lower temperature.

The container being able to release air will affect the RH% and the temperature will also affect the RH%.

Make sense?
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:42 PM 04-20-2012
You are correct. The temp changes would affect the RH%. Even if its sealed up inside Tupperware, it would still change the percentage even though the RH is not leaving the container.

But as I am keeping this inside a mostly controlled environment, it should hold the RH well because of the air tight seal and it should hold the RH steady because of a constant lower temperature.

The container being able to release air will affect the RH% and the temperature will also affect the RH%.

Make sense?
That's what I was saying all along. I guess I am just not on point today. I don't feel well. I'll revisit this and research more later when I can understand what I am doing.
[Reply]
smitty81 01:46 PM 04-20-2012
That's what I was saying all along. I geuss I am just not on point today. I don't feel well. I'll revisit this and research more later when I can understand what I am doing.
After I go back and re-read what you first said, I understand now. You meant outdoors or in a fluctuating environment.

I thought you meant that this wouldn't hold RH at all.

If it's kept indoors in a good environment, this should hold the RH well.

If I were to take it outside, then it would fluctuate just like a Tupperware container would.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:50 PM 04-20-2012
After I go back and re-read what you first said, I understand now. You meant outdoors or in a fluctuating environment.

I thought you meant that this wouldn't hold RH at all.

If it's kept indoors in a good environment, this should hold the RH well.

If I were to take it outside, then it would fluctuate just like a Tupperware container would.
I didn't do a good job explaining what I was thinking, I am exhausted right now. Oh well back to your OP so we can move on, do the three shelves fit tight in there or do you have some room to move? Is there a spot for beads or do they just go in a tray with cigars? I saw somebody was selling these boxes with cedar lining but I like them better with the trays.
[Reply]
smitty81 01:57 PM 04-20-2012
I didn't do a good job explaining what I was thinking, I am exhausted right now. Oh well back to your OP so we can move on, do the three shelves fit tight in there or do you have some room to move? Is there a spot for beads or do they just go in a tray with cigars? I saw somebody was selling these boxes with cedar lining but I like them better with the trays.
There is room on the sides. I was hopeing there wasn't so much room on the sides. I'd have to measure to see exactly how much but I'd say 3/4" or so.

I wanted more tray space for more cigars.............

It actually comes with a humidity sheet which you lay in the bottom. I haven't heard of anything like this before I got it.

It's a sheet you spray with dist. water and it's two way like the beads.

I'm not sure how well it works yet as I dont have a hygrometer in there yet.

Otherwise, I was thinking of throwing this in there. It contains heartfelt beads.

^^^^^^^^^This would fit on the sides of or end between the trays and metal can very well.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:00 PM 04-20-2012
Interesting Josh.
[Reply]
smitty81 02:05 PM 04-20-2012
I will get some better pics of the inside tonight if you would like.......

You can buy the can and trays for $60.00 + shipping from Forrest.

I had a can that was my grandpas so I thought it would be cool to use that one so I would have a constant reminder of him.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:07 PM 04-20-2012
I will get some better pics of the inside tonight if you would like.......

You can buy the can and trays for $60.00 + shipping from Forrest.

I had a can that was my grandpas so I thought it would be cool to use that one so I would have a constant reminder of him.
That's not a bad deal with the can!
Would be a cool travel humi for my needs.
[Reply]
smitty81 02:09 PM 04-20-2012
That's not a bad deal with the can!
Would be a cool travel humi for my needs.
They look especailly awesome with some cigar stickers on them :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up