Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Ammodor question.
smitty81 08:25 AM 04-19-2012
So I recently converted an ammo can to an ammodor with the help of Forrest (Golfnut). Anywho............someone said that these shouldn't be used for long term storage.

I am curious as to why not?

People use tupperware to store cigars and this wouldn't be any different really.

Any input?
[Reply]
pnoon 08:42 AM 04-19-2012
Not trying to be flippant, but why not ask the "someone" who said it.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
oooo35980 02:20 PM 04-19-2012
I was reading a particular website that said coolerdoors and tupperdors are only for short term storage and cigars can only be kept properly in a Spanish cedar humidor. If the humidity and temp are correct, I don't see the problem. But I also don't take a full minute to light my cigars with a bunch of matches or cedar spills, and more often than not I use my pocket knife or my thumbnail to cut my cigar, also I don't take the band off before smoking to avoid showing off, which is supposedly a serious breach in cigar etiquitte, so I'm just doing everything all wrong.
[Reply]
smitty81 02:22 PM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Not trying to be flippant, but why not ask the "someone" who said it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Because that particular someone is really busy building stuff for people here and I don't want to bug him anymore than I already have.
[Reply]
jluck 02:26 PM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
Because that particular someone is really busy building stuff for peole here and I don't want to bug him anymore than I already have.
Most vendors (persons) don't mind answering questions especially on sales support.
Shoot him a email.
[Reply]
shilala 02:27 PM 04-19-2012
One or two of our guys in the sandbox converted them before. Iirc, they're already waterproof? It wouldn't take much of a conversion if they already are.
If there's a rubber gasket, it may need replacing, but that's all.
[Reply]
smitty81 02:29 PM 04-19-2012
yea, I already converted it shilala. I was just wondering why it's not intended for long term storage...........
[Reply]
shilala 02:35 PM 04-19-2012
yea, I already converted it shilala. I was just wondering why it's not intended for long term storage...........
Jared mentioned something he read, too. It doesn't necessarily make it so. I've personally witnessed the most amazing collection of cc's, one I'm sure will never be equalled in my lifetime, all stored in a huge number of coolers.
I wouldn't worry a bit, my friend.
Make sure it can't get wet enough to rust, clean it up really, really good so there are no oils, and rock on. You may want to throw some sheets of cedar in there or broken up boxes to help add some cedar essence?
I'd use them all day long if I had a pile. I think they'd be an exceptional way to long-store cigars so long as they won't rust.
Got any pics?
I'd like to see how they seal.
[Reply]
smitty81 02:39 PM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Jared mentioned something he read, too. It doesn't necessarily make it so. I've personally witnessed the most amazing collection of cc's, one I'm sure will never be equalled in my lifetime, all stored in a huge number of coolers.
Make sure it can't get wet enough to rust, clean it up really, really good so there are no oils, and rock on. You may want to throw some sheets of cedar in there or broken up boxes to help add some cedar essence?
I'd use them all day long if I had a pile. I think they'd be an exceptional way to long-store cigars so long as they won't rust.
Got any pics?
Yep, it has 3 trays in it that forrest made.

[Reply]
jluck 02:44 PM 04-19-2012
Got any pics?
Huh?
[Reply]
emopunker2004 02:46 PM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
Huh?
I think he meant just because u read it doesn't make it true
[Reply]
jluck 02:50 PM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
I think he meant just because u read it doesn't make it true
Very true statement there just wondering why my name is attached. I added no conjecture.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:52 PM 04-19-2012
Jared mentioned something he read, too. It doesn't necessarily make it so...
Huh?
I think Scott may have been referring to Isaiah (oooo35980):
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I was reading a particular website that said coolerdoors and tupperdors are only for short term storage and cigars can only be kept properly in a Spanish cedar humidor. If the humidity and temp are correct, I don't see the problem. But I also don't take a full minute to light my cigars with a bunch of matches or cedar spills, and more often than not I use my pocket knife or my thumbnail to cut my cigar, also I don't take the band off before smoking to avoid showing off, which is supposedly a serious breach in cigar etiquitte, so I'm just doing everything all wrong.

[Reply]
Fia 01:42 AM 04-20-2012

Well the three trays made with SP should do you fine. I dont see why you couldnt use it for long term storage. I would burp it from time to time to allow for a little fresh air exchange if you arent going into it on a regular basis to grab cigars.
[Reply]
shilala 05:33 AM 04-20-2012
Very true statement there just wondering why my name is attached. I added no conjecture.
Michael is absolutely correct, I got you and Isaiah mixed up. Sorry, my brother!!!
Thanks for covering for me, Michael!!! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:39 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by Fia:
Well the three trays made with SP should do you fine. I dont see why you couldnt use it for long term storage. I would burp it from time to time to allow for a little fresh air exchange if you arent going into it on a regular basis to grab cigars.
That's a really good point. Beads in the bottom to control the humidity down there and a fresh-air burp now and again, and I think it's as cool and useful as they come. The trays are more than enough Spanish Cedar to keep things good forever.
I love it. I think it's wicked cool, especially with the addition of Forrest's trays. I'd probably email Michael and get a Hygroset II for inside the lid to keep an eye on the humidity, but that's just cause I put hygrometers in everything as a rule. I seldom look at them and I usually ignore them when I do, but I like them there when I really want to know what's going on. :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:39 AM 04-20-2012

Wow those trays are great!
The only concern I would have is that it may not work that well for keeping humidity and temp. Being that the walls are thin metal I would guess (Key word is guess) that the outside conditions would greatly effect the inside invironment. As long as it is stored in a steady climate I would think it would be okay? :-)
It looks great though, those trays look top notch!
[Reply]
shilala 05:42 AM 04-20-2012
That's a good point, Shane. A big cold swing would cause water to condense on the inside of the can. I'm guessing it'd be used just like any other humi, not exposed to that sort of thing.
[Reply]
smitty81 07:28 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Wow those trays are great!
The only concern I would have is that it may not work that well for keeping humidity and temp. Being that the walls are thin metal I would guess (Key word is guess) that the outside conditions would greatly effect the inside environment. As long as it is stored in a steady climate I would think it would be okay? :-)
It looks great though, those trays look top notch!
No, these are old US Military ammo cans. They are built to withstand harsh weather and keep everything sealed up inside.

This thing has a rubber lip under the lid and when you clamp it down, you can submerge it in water.

This should hold humidity like a tupperware container . Where I keep this box, it's always cool-cold. Think 75 degrees being the highest temp.
[Reply]
smitty81 07:33 AM 04-20-2012
That's a really good point. Beads in the bottom to control the humidity down there and a fresh-air burp now and again, and I think it's as cool and useful as they come. The trays are more than enough Spanish Cedar to keep things good forever.
I love it. I think it's wicked cool, especially with the addition of Forrest's trays. I'd probably email Michael and get a Hygroset II for inside the lid to keep an eye on the humidity, but that's just cause I put hygrometers in everything as a rule. I seldom look at them and I usually ignore them when I do, but I like them there when I really want to know what's going on. :-)
Which Michael??
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up