Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 270
« First < 7151617 18192767117 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
Mr B 05:23 PM 03-21-2010
The Pork ribs have been on the smoker since 11:30. Sorry no before pics. I will try to remember to get pics before the come off. 195*, I ran the smoke for 3 hours (Apple, Alder, Hickory), just heat the rest of the time.
[Reply]
kgoings 06:27 PM 03-21-2010
Here is my sad pork butt, it was pretty easy to scrape off the stuff on the outside...the meat is awesome! Super moist and tastes great!

Attached: porkbutt1.jpg (87.0 KB) porkbutt2.jpg (94.7 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 06:57 PM 03-21-2010
Was this a rub with a lot of sugar in it? Or were you just making a lot of smoke during the cook?

BTW, despite the looks, the fact that your end result is edibile and tastes as good as it does means that you're doing most things right. It's a constant learning, BBQing.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:29 PM 03-21-2010
Originally Posted by kgoings:
Just pulled it off the smoker and wrapped it in aluminum. I put too much rub on it and the outside looks (and tastes) charred...but the inside is fantastic!!! I guess I will just trim off all the outside
Here is my sad pork butt, it was pretty easy to scrape off the stuff on the outside...the meat is awesome! Super moist and tastes great!

That pork butt doesn't look sad IMO!!! And I would pull that bark and mix it in the rest of the butt for flavor. Good job brother!!
[Reply]
Steve 07:32 PM 03-21-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
That pork butt doesn't look sad IMO!!! And I would pull that bark and mix it in the rest of the butt for flavor. Good job brother!!
My thoughts exactly! :-)
[Reply]
kgoings 07:36 PM 03-21-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Was this a rub with a lot of sugar in it? Or were you just making a lot of smoke during the cook?

BTW, despite the looks, the fact that your end result is edibile and tastes as good as it does means that you're doing most things right. It's a constant learning, BBQing.
Yes it was a rub with a lot of sugar, but I put it on at 4 am when I was asleep and it was like 1/4 inch thick...my bad.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:00 AM 03-22-2010
Yes it was a rub with a lot of sugar, but I put it on at 4 am when I was asleep and it was like 1/4 inch thick...my bad.
Honestly, on a pork butt, the rub only does so much and is not that important. Looks totally fine once pulled apart and I bet your friends and guests were digging it! I have had debates whether a rub does really anything on pork butt's. I know some N. Caroliners who think rubs on whole pigs or a butts is a waste due to the amount of bark and the little absorption.

I’ve played around with a meat injector and it worked good to get spices into the butt, but it broke and the verdict is still out. The injector did a good job getting some red pepper flake infused vinegar into the meat and that did for sure made a positive difference.

Tying the butt is the only thing I would recommend to you that looks like was not done.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 07:39 AM 03-22-2010
:-) Looks great!
[Reply]
kgoings 11:14 AM 03-22-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Honestly, on a pork butt, the rub only does so much and is not that important. Looks totally fine once pulled apart and I bet your friends and guests were digging it! I have had debates whether a rub does really anything on pork butt's. I know some N. Caroliners who think rubs on whole pigs or a butts is a waste due to the amount of bark and the little absorption.

I’ve played around with a meat injector and it worked good to get spices into the butt, but it broke and the verdict is still out. The injector did a good job getting some red pepper flake infused vinegar into the meat and that did for sure made a positive difference.

Tying the butt is the only thing I would recommend to you that looks like was not done.
Thanks for the info, how do you tie the butt?
[Reply]
LooseCard 11:42 AM 03-22-2010
Originally Posted by steve:
My thoughts exactly! :-)
:-) :-) :-) It looks fine from here too! Once pulled, it'll mix and blend for flavor.

I don't and won't tie mine anymore. It gives me more surface area for spice contact and smoke absorbtion.

[rhetorical] Why does it need to be a tny ball with a small surface area, which limits where the smoke can get in and panetrate??? [/rhetorical]
[Reply]
Steve 11:51 AM 03-22-2010
Do you cut the bone out? I used to, but nw I leave it in for extra flavor.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:53 AM 03-22-2010
Originally Posted by LooseCard;802236I don't [U:
and won't[/u] tie mine anymore. It gives me more surface area for spice contact and smoke absorbtion.
It should be spiced before it's tied. Do you have issues with smoke absorbtion on a piece of meat that is on the smoker for 10+ hours? I worry about too much smoke if anything.

The reason for tying is even doneness. Not trying to argue, it was just an intriging response.

Never, that is one tough piece of meat to de-bone! My dog would be pissed off at me as well.
[Reply]
T.G 12:37 PM 03-22-2010
I don't. Comes out easy enough when the meat is done.
[Reply]
Steve 12:55 PM 03-22-2010
10-4. That is my though as well. and I also think it adds to the flavor.

If you leave the bone in, why are you tying it?
[Reply]
T.G 01:54 PM 03-22-2010
10-4. That is my though as well. and I also think it adds to the flavor.

If you leave the bone in, why are you tying it?
By tying it, Moses turns an unevely shaped or lopsided piece of meat into an piece of meat of almost uniform thickness/proportions so that the cooking is more even. Same reason certain roasts are tied or netted, when cooked in the oven.

Me, I don't, because I'm lazy and I don't mind a bit of different textures in the end result.
[Reply]
Steve 02:44 PM 03-22-2010
Hummm...

Ok. At one time I cut the bone out and would truss the butt up. Now that I leave the bone in I don't tie it. I don't really notice any uneven cooking. I put the butt into my smoker fatback side up, 230 degrees plus or minus for 10 hours plus or minus and out comes yummy goodness. Maybe next time I cook a case or two I may truss half up and leave the other half the way I normally do, see what difference I find.

Interesting, thanks.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:15 PM 03-22-2010
Tying makes a big differene. Instead of removing the bone you could slice in a "flap" and put your herbs and spices into the flap and tie it up. On bone-in roasts, I like to cut around the bone as much as possible and stuff it with seasoning. Especially on lamb where if pulls up the bone, by serving time there's a nice handle to carve.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:17 PM 03-22-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
By tying it, Moses turns an unevely shaped or lopsided piece of meat into an piece of meat of almost uniform thickness/proportions so that the cooking is more even. Same reason certain roasts are tied or netted, when cooked in the oven.
Thank you for my explaination and you are correct. :-)
[Reply]
Mr B 03:28 PM 03-22-2010

Thats how it supposed to look IMO.

My rubs are 90% Brown sugar too.
Peel of that nice bark, scrape the fat off the backside of it, chop it up and toss it in w/ the meat.
Thats where so much of your flavor comes from.

Doesnt look bad from here.

Here is a pic of my last one that came out great!

[Reply]
T.G 03:55 PM 03-22-2010
Thank you for my explaination and you are correct. :-)
Yeah, I should have phrased part of my response a bit better. Sorry.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 270
« First < 7151617 18192767117 > Last »
Up