Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Straus Tobacconist downtown Cincinnati closing March 30
Brian D. 06:34 AM 03-15-2024
By my understanding the third oldest cigar shop in the U.S., opened in 1880. In more or less the same spot since the 1920s.

What happened was that while they survived COVID closure (mostly stayed open as the government considered them a "vital business") their walk in customer base shrunk when people stopped going to offices downtown and started working from home.

The last straw was that their building got new owners who wanted to convert the upper floors from office to living space, condos. At first Straus was supposedly told they were still welcome on the first floor. But that has changed.

Straus has a second store across the river in northern Kentucky, so all is not lost. But that's more drive than I'd be willing to take more than once in a great while.

There's a lot more I could say, but I just wanted to lay out the gist of what happened.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:58 AM 03-15-2024
That's too bad.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:11 AM 03-15-2024
They need to start selling bongs. :-(
[Reply]
icehog3 10:11 AM 03-15-2024
Bummer for sure, Brian. Especially with their history.
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:09 PM 03-15-2024
That sucks Brian. I hate when historical locations are forced to shut down.
[Reply]
Brian D. 08:33 PM 03-15-2024
For the record, Straus says they're closing while the building undergoes extensive remodeling, as opposed to forever. Personally I don't think they'll return, at least there. And because of Ohio's smoking laws, finding another place in the city core, a freestanding building at that, seems close to impossible.
[Reply]
MaytagMan 01:24 AM 03-16-2024
Wow that sucks!
[Reply]
Up