Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>winedor vs. cabinet
TJarv 10:57 AM 05-03-2012
After just a month and a half I've outgrown my 250 count desktop and am trying to decided what my next step should be.

I am looking at converting a wine cooler or just buying and end table cabinet humidor. I like the thought of being able to control the temperature because of my location, but don't want a huge electricity bill.

Did any of yall with the coolers notice a big electricity jump, or am I just thinking too much?

Thanks for any input. -Tony
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:20 AM 05-03-2012
We have AC at home so I never run my Vino. If the location you are putting the humidor stays under 75° you should be fine without the cooling unit.

The big plus with the Wine Coolers is that they generally seal real well, unlike many cabinet humidors.

If you are just looking to add capacity and "looks" don't matter much and the ambient environment stays under 75° I would recommend a basic cooler (Coleman/Igloo, etc.) or two (or three :-)).
[Reply]
xFreebirdx 11:20 AM 05-03-2012
Thermal Electric cooling is cheap. maybe a buck a month. And if the AC is set to a constant temperature in your house the cooler will hardly run .:-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 11:42 AM 05-03-2012
I keep my house set at 78 in the summer, and my cabinet is set at 75 year round. The cabinet cooling runs off and on during the summer, but I don't think it costs more than a few pennies a day to operate it.

The distilled water usage for the humidifier increases considerably when the cooling kicks in. I have to remember to check the water level weekly during the summer, after pretty much ignoring it all winter.

All worth it to have happy cigars. :-)
[Reply]
TJarv 11:45 AM 05-03-2012
I keep my ac on 75 during the day and 70 at night
[Reply]
trendo 01:05 PM 05-03-2012
I have a cabinet and a cooler (coleman 102qt). The cooler works much better. Besides, if you think you won't quickly outgrow an end table cabinet, your fooling yourself.
[Reply]
TJarv 02:16 PM 05-03-2012
Yeah I'm hoping I can try to use some self control with this next humidor
[Reply]
reggiebuckeye 03:58 PM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by TJarv:
Yeah I'm hoping I can try to use some self control with this next humidor
Weren't we all when we upgraded? Plan for more. I use a cooler and a 28 bottle winador now. I'm looking at a cabinet. I know the size I have is more than I need, but I don't want to have to buy again. If you need excess after that, buy a cooler. It is the cheapest and most simple way I have found to store cigars. They just don't look pretty to anyone but you. I think they look awesome because of what's on the inside.
[Reply]
Bax 04:28 PM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
We have AC at home so I never run my Vino. If the location you are putting the humidor stays under 75° you should be fine without the cooling unit.

The big plus with the Wine Coolers is that they generally seal real well, unlike many cabinet humidors.

If you are just looking to add capacity and "looks" don't matter much and the ambient environment stays under 75° I would recommend a basic cooler (Coleman/Igloo, etc.) or two (or three :-)).
Very good advice!:-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 05:14 PM 05-03-2012
Well most Endtable cabinet humidors only hold 250-400 cigars anyway, so if your running out of room in your 250 humidor, you should probably look for something bigger.

I think a Wineador wouldn't be a bad option, and if you don't want the metallic finish, Forrest (GolfNut) recently added to his facebook page that he is starting to do Wood finished custom doors for your wineador. They look pretty slick.
[Reply]
TJarv 05:32 PM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
I think a Wineador wouldn't be a bad option, and if you don't want the metallic finish, Forrest (GolfNut) recently added to his facebook page that he is starting to do Wood finished custom doors for your wineador. They look pretty slick.
I really am leaning this way
[Reply]
OLS 06:03 PM 05-03-2012
Good luck with your second out of an eventual 5 storage solutions....I mean, unless you take the best advice here and
stop playing the increments game and get one sportsman's ice chest.
[Reply]
TJarv 07:42 PM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
Good luck with your second out of an eventual 5 storage solutions....I mean, unless you take the best advice here and
stop playing the increments game and get one sportsman's ice chest.
I would like something a little more pleasing to the eye.

Trust me i would love to spend less than $100
[Reply]
SmokinPhysics 09:15 PM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by TJarv:
I would like something a little more pleasing to the eye.
There seems to be a lot of people who have coolerdors for bulk storage in an out of sight location and keep their nicer-looking humidors stocked with a couple and in a more visible area. You may have already thought of that, but I didn't see it expressed on this thread yet. :-)
[Reply]
Up